Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsey
Curious August 2018 Alberta

What order do things go for the reception?

Kelsey, on March 22, 2018 at 12:46 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9

So I have made my invitations say Cocktails at 5:30 dinner at 6. so we eat dinner at 6. say like 7 were done. what do we do then? should we do the first dance? then the cake cutting? or the bouquet throw! I;m so confused haha. I have no idea the order things should go.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on March 23, 2018 at 11:31
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Once our dinner portion is done we will start the special dances and do the cake cutting. Then we will do some general dancing and do the bouquet toss/garter toss later in the evening just before the late night snacks. Some people do the speeches after the dinner and before the special dances but I think it is more common for them to be done during dinner now.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely budget at least and hour and a half for dinner! It takes longer than you think! Smiley laugh

The order of reception events is really up to you! We did our first dance before dinner and then the rest of the special dances and toasts throughout dinner service, but there are also lots of people who do dinner first before any of the dances!

Here's a great article with helpful reception timeline tips you should definitely check out: Wedding Reception Timeline .

Also here's a great community discussion where I asked when you're doing the first dance: First Dance: Before or After Dinner? It looks like most people went with after!

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can give you my time line of what I'm doing, but really you can mix things up.. ie do speeches before eating or after, special dances before or after, split it all up, etc etc. I'm also not doing a cake cutting or any wedding games. It's also important to take into account the time it takes for people to get settled in their seats or how long for food to be served (or buffet style).

5PM - Cocktail hour

6PM - Guests to make their way into the reception area

6:10PM - Bride/Groom entrance

6:12PM - Bride/Groom First Dance!

6:15PM - Bride's dad is making a speech/toast

6:20PM - First course (soup! is served).. after this I don't have a time stamp of time lines for the meal

SPEECH - Bestman/groomsmen

Second Course served (salad!)

SPEECH - Maid of Honour/bridesmaids

Main Course Served

SPEECH - Groom's mum

Dessert Served

SPEECH - Bride/Groom thank you speech

8:30PM (Approximately depending on dinner length) - Father/Daughter Dance

8:33PM - Groom/Mother Dance

8:35PM - DANCE FLOOR OPENS!

11:15PM - Late night food is served

12:20PM - Last call made for the bar

12:40 - Bride/Groom leaving

1PM - Everyone else needs to get out! lol

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I recently attended a wedding and they we're introduced and right away they did the first dance. Then they did speech and welcomed their guest. Then food was serve. They had 11 meals served 1 at a time! in between they did photos per table, speeches (parents, moh, & bm), slideshow, bouquet toss, removal of garter, and dancing towards the end.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have went to a wedding where they had an hour cocktail and after they announced the couple and wedding party as they came in. From there they did the first dance right away and then speaches as dinner happened. Then after dinner and a bit into the night people tend to do the bouquet throw and the cake cut

• Kelsey
    Curious August 2018 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am having a buffet so im not really having courses. just cocktails, then dinner, then cake

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you should space everything out. If there are speeches, start with those. Then do your dances and then start the party. After a little while I would do the bouquet/garter thing followed by cake and then party the rest of the night away.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depending on the number of courses you're having, dinner may take up to 1.5 hours. You could also do speeches in between courses, and then do your first dance, bouquet toss, etc. All this stuff doesn't have to happen back-to-back either. You could give your guests some time to dance or get some fresh air for 30 minutes in between things.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing the dances first, then after maybe an hour or so of guests dances we will take a break for the bouquet/garter toss. We aren't having a cake cutting because I really don't get the point and don't like the whole attention on it, just my opinion, we will announce that dessert is served and the cake will already be cut and ready to serve.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics