Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Newbie October 2020 Ontario

Venue help

Sarah, on September 3, 2019 at 15:42 Posted in Ontario 0 15
Ugh, I’m ready to elope 😂 finding a nice venue for our Halloween 2020 wedding is a pain in the ass. I’ve emailed and called over 85 people already ranging from Guelph to misssauga. We’re only having 39 people and the prices are ridiculous! I refuse to pay $2000 for simply a building to stand in when someone with over double the amount of guests I’ll have pays the same. Anyone been through the same or have some recommendations??

15 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on September 29, 2019 at 16:05
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just posting an update! We found a absolutely beautiful venue and for a Bargain price! Under $300 for the venue the day of, before, and after for take down and set up, its licensed, and the insurance. All I need to get extra is the liquor licence from the county and we’re set! I knew my persistence and hard work would pay off! We’re so excited about our perfect find. Thanks guys!
  • #GotmanTablefor2
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    #GotmanTablefor2 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depending on if you are regions or not (and if you want to drink) your church could be a great option.

Our church is charging us $500 for the entire property, they just have a no booze rule.

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you tried the Waterloo Rod & Gun Club, they are in St. Jacob's but they are super cheap.

• Sheena
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Another suggestion is Collins brewhouse in Dundas. They have a hall in the basement that is very nice. I’m not sure if the cost but I’ve been for a sports team banquet and it was very classy.
  • Sheena
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also if you were to do it at someone’s house and it being Halloween, you could have the couple kids every time the door rang with trick-or-treaters instead of the typical clinking of the glasses.
  • Sheena
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since you are only having 40 guests would it be possible to ask around if someone you know has a large yard/ barn or house you could use? It would be great if you wanted to go for a more casual vibe. This way too you could possibly do a pot luck and save money from catering. The difficulty would be making sure you have the indoor space for the night.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, unfortunately, Saturday's will always be more expensive!

As other ladies have mentioned, try a restaurant or legion hall - you might be able to find some pricing you are comfortable with.

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes but we’d like to do it on Halloween, which is Saturday.
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Try a restaurant with a private room for your reception instead. They're not the most glamourous, but community halls, church halls, and legions are great and you can really get creative with decor.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Have you tried booking a date during the week or on a Sunday? Typically prices go down quite a bit
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree, but the prices are the same wether it was our original date or my Halloween date. We also have checked far outside of our city as we’re originally from brantford and have checked just about every direction about an hour or so drive away.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Like the other ladies have said, popular venues on holidays or close to a holiday are most of the time are more expensive.
    You may have to get creative and get away from the typical “ wedding hall”.
    Some parks will let you get married in them for a small fee, and then you can have a reception at a restaurant with a private room.
    Or you may have to go outside of the city
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Tori - the more outside of the City you are, the better you will be price wise (and negotiating wise). I'm in Brampton, close to Mississauga and I can tell you - venues are all expensive around here! Yikes!

If you're not looking for anything specific, try legion halls and union halls!

Our ceremony site (a church) isn't that expensive...(~$600, including marriage courses), although I know more than anyone - a church is not everyone's vision or desire. A lot of church's also have an underground area that you might be able to rent for the reception?

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Lol yuuuuup - especially if it's on a holiday, then the price is usually more! (Didn't plan a wedding on a special occasion like you are - but the prices for venues for our Wedding Social had different pricing listed for Halloween, New Years Eve, St. Patrick's day, etc.)

I know I'm not in Ontario, but this is exactly why we had to look outside the city and why we booked our venue a year and 8 months before the date! The cheaper ones book fast!!!

IMO I think the best bet for small weddings would be to get a place that is all inclusive per person (price wise) and for larger weddings like my own (250) benefits from a venue that you get the food elsewhere for less money (more work).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics