Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Shoes first??

Sarah, on May 17, 2019 at 14:10 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 12
I am looking at some shoes for the big day and it occurred to me maybe I need to have these first so the dress can be long enough with the shoe if there’s a heel (nothing crazy I want to be comfortable)?? Thoughts?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on April 6, 2021 at 03:55
  • Michelle
    New York
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are some beautiful wedding shoes online, my sister had also bought her wedding sandals from the Moral Code Coupons wedding shoe's deal and it was perfect and as same as she saw in the pictures. You should take a look once!

Shoes first?? 1

Shoes first?? 2

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought my shoes first! It’s differently something to keep in mind though when you are buying the dress. I have short legs though so adding a few inches of height didn’t warrant any serious amount of dress length.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you guys!!! I know it makes so much more sense to get the dress first but with alternations and stuff I wasn’t sure how it worked!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most dresses are super long and need to be hemmed so they can do this for it to go with the shoes. Like everyone said it will be much easier to match the dress to the shoes. You can definitely keep in mind when dress shopping if you want heels or not though Smiley smile

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unless you are looking at like tea length or shorter dresses, then not having your shoes first will not matter. Find your dress first and match your shoes to that. It will be too much to find a dress that you love, in your budget and matches your shoes if you go that route.

• Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like the other girls said, find your dress first and then coordinate the shoes. You will need the shoes before you can do any hemming or alterations on the dress. I took a risk and bought my shoes after alterations but I bought sandals and I knew I would be buying a flat shoe so I just wore something similar to my alterations.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found my dress first.

I brought shoes with me that would be similar in height to ones I’ll get for the wedding and didn’t need them at all!

I recommend buying the dress first!
  • Megan
    Curious November 2019 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I chose my dress first, but will find shoes before I finalize the alterations/hemming. I'm fairly short so I imagine wanting heels for the big day and that might change the length the dress should be.

If you're thinking you'll want a short dress then you could choose either first!

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Up to you, but I think you'll find that all the dresses will be super long and need hemming regardless of heel height. I'm 5'8" and my dress needs quite a bit of hemming.

Actually...I just remember that I bought shoes that I had intended to be my wedding shoes (they went on sale), and when I bought my dress, they didn't go at all. I ended up selling them, so I'd say get the dress first.

Maybe bring along shoes you already own that have a similar heel height to what you have in mind!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the "norm" is to find the dress first - but if you fall in love with some shoes then go for it! Worst thing that could happen is that they don't go with your dress so you use them for the rehearsal dinner or something right?

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly one you find the dress, it might be easier to coordinate shoes. They will order a dress based on size and then you can find shoes. If you need dress shortened still they can do that.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as you have your shoes when it comes to your alterations, you will be fine! I bought my dress before I bought my shoes, and then will be taking them next month to my alterations so the seamstress knows how long to make the dress!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics