Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Newbie August 2021 Ontario

moh can’t attend best friends wedding due to covid

Sarah, on July 31, 2020 at 17:26 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 4
My best friend of 28 years is getting married next weekend in Quebec. As I live in Vancouver, I am unable to attend the wedding in person due to the risks of flying with Covid. I am her maid of honour and never thought this would be the reality on her wedding day. I am trying to figure out how I can still support her/ make up for not being there in person. My ideas are so far: make a MOH speech video, videochat when she’s getting ready, be at the wedding and dinner by zoom, small celebration with her and close fam and friends once things settle (likely not until next year).

If you are in the same boat or have any suggestions, I’d love to hear your ideas! Thanks Smiley smile

4 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on August 3, 2020 at 13:57
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Vinod, thank you so much for your reassurance and encouraging words, much appreciated Smiley smile So true that I can still be present on her special day, just in a different format. I will be sure to ensure we celebrate together in person once it is safe to do so whether it be just with her and her partner or a larger gathering next year (she's unsure she wants to do a big gathering).

Thanks again!

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amelia, thank you so much for your reassurance and empathy, much appreciated Smiley smile I love your idea to keep something as a special surprise for her in the am. Also, smart thinking to film as a backup to your video-call (and about the zoom maximums, I will look into that).

Wishing you a love filled wedding day!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your not alone when it comes to not attending a wedding. I have a friend who is supposed to attend a wedding in June and had to change her plans due to travel. Make a speech video and send it over to your friend to play at the reception. It will be different yet present in a way she knows you still haven't forgotten her day. Wish her too knowing its something you want see though you will be there when she plans for next year and able to fly out.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance's parents can't come to our wedding. They live in the states and even though they are Canadians and immediate family there is always hassle and uncertainty for them crossing the border at the best of times.

Our plan is to video call them for the ceremony and also have a friend film it incase we lose connection. We are having our reception and a vow renewal next year when they will hopefully be able to make it.
    I love all your ideas! Maybe see if another bridesmaid/wedding party member can help you organize it, maybe keeping something (like a recorded message for the morning/getting ready) a surprise. And a heads up, free zoom only allows "meetings" of 30 minutes so it might be worth it to pay for it or use another video chat platform.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics