Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
British Columbia

How Do You Do It Yourself? - Your Weird diy Methods

Brittany, on October 17, 2018 at 19:50 Posted in DIY 0 15

I'm starting to get the ball rolling with DIY projects for the wedding, and the first thing I did was visit the dollar store (frugal bride, right here)... The second thing I did was make a Photoshop mock-up of my imagined centrepiece.

It's a little funny looking, but totally necessary for my brain to picture it, and for me to describe it to my mom.

Does anyone else have any weird planning/DIY methods? Scrapbooking? Swatches? Making a dozen different items and picking your favourite? How do you cope when the image in your brain can not be found on Pinterest or Google?

How do you DIY?

Centrepiece Mock-Up on PhotoshopHow Do You Do It Yourself? - Your Weird diy Methods 1

15 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on October 20, 2018 at 10:07
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My godmother did interior design for a bit in the past so I trust her judgement. I do want to have a mockup/diagram for them to go off of.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm super nit picky with my details, so I feel a little badly for being neurotic, but there will be a play-by-play to-do list for them... with photos and diagrams... haha.

But I figure most people would want to be told exactly what to do, so they are confident they did it right. People (like my sister), who think their way is better, will not be trusted to go solo... Haha.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Photoshop was a self taught skill for me too, but I picked it up quickly! It's not my most used software, but I use it now and then lol.

My godmother and my mom's friend (honourary mom) are doing decor set-up for us, so they need to know how I want things to go!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey! No shame here! No one would ever know that... and it's far more likely you can do an extravagant dollar store centrepiece that looks like it cost $50... rather than what you'd get if you paid a pro to make one for $50. Yours look great! I love all the diamonds, and candles are my fave! So romantic.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooooh! Very cute! This is the next step for me. I'm going to grab enough things to do a mock-up this weekend.

I love that geometric candle holder. That looks really cool on the mirror!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Woohoo! I feel like they should really just start doing a wedding section at the dollar store... haha.

Wow, I'm self-taught at Photoshop, so I've muddled my way through it enough to manage... but you must be pretty great at it!!! I'm having a cousin and his girlfriend do our decor set-up, so I'm going to have to create a few more mock-ups so they can set everything up the way I imagine it in my brain without me there!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! I'm hoping it looks like that in person!!! Haha. I find that it doesn't really matter how good the mock-up looks, as long as we get it, and the real thing turns out better! Smiley smile

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YES! I also have ventured into thrift stores as well. I'm on the OCD side of things, so I couldn't wrap my head around 'mixing and matching' vases for centrepieces... but if someone is more laid back than me, the eclectic look is pretty cool, and can be so inexpensive!!!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can always imagine the drawing of what I'm thinking, but it usually ends up looking like chicken scratch... haha. I actually am quite good at drawing/art, but for some reason idea sketches look like a 5 year old did it...

It's just Adobe Photoshop. I had to use it a lot for my last job, so I would at least say I'm above average at using it Smiley laugh

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The submerged orchids in my center pieces were dollar store, as were some (but not all) of the vases!

shhhhh!How Do You Do It Yourself? - Your Weird diy Methods 2

• Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's impressive photoshop skills you have. If I had those I'd do that but I don't so it's the dollar store and trial and error mock ups for me. Here are 2 versions of centrepieces I've tried. As I didnt want to buy trial flowers, I have to imagine a cylinder vase with white hydrangeas that will also be part of the centrepiece. I'm still trying to tweak things.

How Do You Do It Yourself? - Your Weird diy Methods 3

How Do You Do It Yourself? - Your Weird diy Methods 4
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dollar store bride unite!

My one weird DIY process is making digital mock ups at work since I have photoshop on my computer, and Adobe illustrator so it's easy for me get a hold of the technology, plus I'm a mapping technician so I'm pretty handy at computer graphics. I'm highly visual too so I need to be able to conceptualize it in order to describe.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow that looks amazing!!

I like using photoshop as well (well - Pixlr.com), but I'm not nearly as good as you! I usually start with one thing that I like and it works it's way from there. As for when I can't find an image to portray what I'm thinking; I then go to my cut and paste photoshop ways and make it happen. Although it may not look exactly like how I want it to, it will do.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Team Dollarstore all the way! There’s one by my parents’ house that does a lot of cool little trinkets so anything I need that I can’t get from my venue will be from there!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Dollarstore is where it's at!! First thing I do too! Then I also make a mock-up of it but not on the computer because I'm terrible at technology so I just hand draw it. I'll also have several inspiration pictures available for me to look at whenever needed. I will also make a few smaller versions of things and pick my favourite out of them. If I cannot find a similar image online I'll just draw it and find a bunch of different pictures with similar elements and kind of put them together in my head.
    What Photoshop program do you use? Because that looks super cool!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics