Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Fiancé(e) Friday - How did you decide on your vows?

Joey, on July 12, 2019 at 08:01 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 14

Have you and your partner decided to write your own vows? Are you using pre-written vows that you'll repeat? Will you stick with the simple "I do" reply to your officiant reading your vows? How did you and your partner choose? Did you have the same idea from the start, or was there a compromise?

If you're writing your own vows, how much do you know about what your SO has written?

Fiancé(e) Friday - How did you decide on your vows? 1

Photo by Geneviève Sasseville Photographie in Prevost

14 Comments

Latest activity by Tamara, on July 18, 2019 at 12:16
  • Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was all for using the standard vows that our Justice of the Peace used but my fiance' actually wanted us to write our own vows which I thought was super sweet so that is what we are doing. I am just hoping I can speak them day of haha.

• Sondra
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Sondra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Writing our own.. my FH has already started and we are still 2 years away from the wedding.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At first we wanted to write our own vows, but decided not to and to pick pre-written ones instead. There were so many to choose from, we were able to find ones we felt represented us quite well.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're using pre-written vows and are completely fine with it. We're going to say something more personal during our reception speech Smiley smile

• Loi-Marie
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Loi-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are both very shy and hate public speaking, so we are definitely not writing our own vows. Actually we decided we would write our vows but read them to each other in private. We will just say the simple “I do’s”
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose one offered in the Officiants package that worked best for us.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing the pre-written vows to repeat! A little more than just I do's, but don't have to worry about writing our own vows.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be writing our own vows and sharing them- I am struggling sooo hard right now to wright them though Smiley sad I am sure I will be able to just gotta get on it.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be sticking to the "I DO" prompts. I wanted personalized vows but it's just not who my FH is so we decided to compromise and write each other a letter for the morning of instead Smiley smile That way he could keep mine to himself if he doesn't want his GM hearing it and I can keep his to myself if he doesn't want it read out-loud.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are writing our own and will not be sharing until we say them to each other. We will check with each other to try to ensure they are about the same length but that's about it.

I've started writing little sentiments and thoughts as notes in my phone when I think of things I want to say - and will be working on putting them together soon! Smiley smile

• Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be doing a mixture of the officiant cows and ones what we’ve written. It will be a surprise to both of us.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are not entirely sure yet. I think it will end up being a mix of both, some pre written and some personal touches in there.

It will really depend on my FH and what he wants to do, he is not much of a writer lol.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We both wanted to write our own vows the entire time. We just kind of implied/assumed it from the start. I don’t know anything about his vows, and he doesn’t know anything about mine. It will be a complete surprise at the ceremony
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    From the beginning we wanted to write our own vows. We didn't really consider it any other way because we want to make promises that are unique and true to us.

We've also agreed to follow a specific template so that the format and length are similar for both of us, but the actual words are a secret until the big day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics