Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Beginner September 2020 Alberta

covid Reception ideas

Amanda, on June 9, 2020 at 17:16 Posted in Wedding reception 0 8
Hey ladies! So with the phase 2 in Alberta being rolled out at the end of this week, we are now allowed to have all our guests at our ceremony which is great! But the new indoor gathering number is 50 (only half our full guest list). So with that being said we want to have everyone there for the ceremony but feel its rude to say half of you aren't invited for the reception. Should we just postpone it? Or is there a way to do half right away for the reception and invite the other half back later so they all get to experience the reception in some form? Help.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on June 11, 2020 at 11:38
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions! I think we are either going to postpone the reception knowing a few people wont come for just the ceremony. Or if possible have hor douerves outside during and shortly after the ceremony so people can snack a bit. Since our wedding is in September it's hard to predict if the weather will be good enough to do this outdoors so it makes it difficult to plan but those are our options and both sound okay to us. On our website where guests RSVP its stated that it is ceremony only so they know there is no reception or dinner.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Youre SOOO lucky. we have a 10 person limit coming this friday (we are currently at 5). can you send an email to all your guests and let them know about the rules and ask to do a staggered kinda thing? or can you move anything outside? like have a patio outside so some guests who dont feel comfy inside can eat outside?

• A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's a tough one. You mind find that many people are still not comfortable gathering in groups that large and will decline. I agree with Hank about determining what you really want: do you want to get married now? (If so, I would move the whole day forward with 50 people) Or do you want everyone to be there? (If so, I would postpone the whole day to another time).

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Veronica! So glad to have someone feeling the same as me! I get both sides for sure. I'm hoping things do relax more so we can do both but I think as stated above maybe do a celebration at a later date. I just know some out of town guests will be less likely to come if its only the ceremonySmiley sad
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think in current circumstances if you are clear that someone can come to the ceremony and not the reception they would be understanding. If possible maybe plan a smaller gathering to celebrate with those people (backyard BBQ?).
    If it were me I would not be offended, I'd be happy to be included in any part of the new plan and get to see 2 people I love get married.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Amanda,

We are literally in the exact same position as you regarding guest count. I was so excited to hear that we could have our ceremony and cocktail hour as planned. However, the dinner and dance is up in the air on number of people. Are still going to wait and it and see what happens.

There is a (small) chance that they will bump up the indoor number to 100 people - given that places of worship and restaurants now have no cap and just need to maintain distancing, I think IF that goes well, then they MIGHT look at events. I have no idea though and obviously safety first!

The other thing we are discussing is seeing if our venue can move the dinner to an Al Fresco, garden or tent kind of style so its still outdoors and well ventilated and we have more room to spread out the tables. Just some thoughts - I am now realizing this is not what you initially asked at all either.

I am not sure I would be ok to invite all to the ceremony and half to the dinner, in normal circumstances that feels rude. HOWEVER given the current situation, I think people will understand. I think only local guests would end up coming, so depends how many are travelling because that is not really worth travelling for. But I feel you, in that, I still REALLY want to have our ceremony now.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you should keep the reception to the amount that can come to the ceremony or reschedule to a better time. Even if you try to do shifts what would that do to your budget? Double the food prep or would you only feed half? What do the people coming to the second half of reception do between ceremony and getting invited back? Not to mention like Hank said if people are having fun do you want to make them leave for the next group to come. It sounds like a nightmare to me.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen people here contemplating these shift parties as an option but ask yourself, would you really be able to boot the people from the first half to leave when the party is going so the second can come in?

Whether you postpone or not depends on how much you value getting married now vs later and how important it is for everyone to be there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics