If you are planning to tie the knot at a breath-taking venue, look no further! Calamus Estate 1800's Barn Winery, that sits on top of the Niagara Escarpment, is a stunning wedding venue. Located adjacent to Upper Falls at Balls Falls, with 18-mile creek flowing through the vineyards, the property offers plenty of photo opportunities and an experiences like no other. Calamus Estate is a perfect location that provides exciting event services and beautiful locations for photos in the gardens, the waterfall, and one of their 3 bridges over 18 mile creek, or the vineyard backdrop.
Facilities and capacity
Calamus Estate features the 350 Barrel Cellar, The Upper Barn, which can seat up to 50 people, is ideal for a more intimate function. A grand wedding reception can be held at 1800’s Era Heritage Barn on Crush Pad for up to 150 guests. The venue space, surrounded by gardens, waterfall and offering great views of the vineyard from the three-level patio, is an exciting place, which gives the choice of dancing under the stars or a custom bar barn. When you book your special day at Calamus it is 100% yours, no other events will be taking place!
What is better than an icewine Smores at the end of a perfect day? Check out their campfire area and 3 level deck overlooking the Vineyard, waterfall and Balls Falls Conservation.
What is often mistaken for a silo on the side of their barn, is in fact the Chronos Observatory. Inside the observatory is a deep space telescope capable of viewing interstellar bodies in significant detail. Your guests will be offered a viewing as well as some great cigars from their top deck!
Yes we are still booking weddings with Covid-19 practising social distancing tours. Reply with your phone number for tours.
From November to April during Covid although we are allowed 50 inside we are offering a max 36 guests on the barn loft with menus starting $59 p.p.to ensure social distancing. From May to October with first 3 levels of covid restrictions we can accmadate 100 guests in the barn.
Feastivities Events and Catering is the exclusive caterers for Calamus Estate Winery. The catering service include choice of a BBQ buffet, Family style or Plated meal (4 courses), artisanal cheese board or butlered hors d’oeuvres, late night pizza, fruits and live campfire smores station. The wedding package will offer a wide range of services, such as:
Their pricing is all-inclusive with no hidden fees, venue fee, cermony fee, tax, 4 course dinner, bar, music all included in one and no corkage fees on the wine. They offer:
You enjoy your special day and let us do all the work!
Check out our facebook and instragram for most recent photos.
5 Reviews for Calamus Estate Winery
10 User photos
Jennifer Diverty · Married on 09/08/2019
Calamus Estate winery
From start to finish this vendor was exceptional. They helped us make our dreams come true with a rustic, romantic, setting. The food, lawn games and service was amazing and the wines are some of the best we have ever had!Sent on 12/08/2019
Jordan Purdy · Married on 21/09/2019
We have just recently book this as our venue. The staff was very supportive and very prompt when answering my questions. It is such a beautiful venue right in the middle of the vineyard with a walking tour absolutely stunning. Also recent construction and future design is stunning.Sent on 09/09/2018
Nicole Gough · Married on 07/09/2019
Magical wedding Venue
My pictures don’t do it justice. The staff at Calamus were so friendly and accommodating, they added so many nice touches, the food was amazing and customized to our preference, they were great with food allergies, and the experience was very unique. We had star gazing, a wine tour, and a bonfire with ice wine smores. There were many great spots nearby for pictures, they had back up plans for cold/wet weather and made sure the wedding party was well taken care of (made sure our food was always hot if we had to leave for pictures or to chat with guests etc. The bar was well stocked and they provided the favours and DJ. I cannot express how magical our wedding day felt thanks to the staff at Calamus.Sent on 19/10/2019
Melissa · Married on 07/06/2019
Lovely Wedding Venue
We had an amazing wedding at Calamus Winery in early June. The setting and the food were amazing and the on-site staff were very helpful. I would definitely recommend the location. There was a lack of attention to detail with the planning staff though, so if this is going to be your venue you definitely need to double check everything to ensure you get what you requested.Sent on 27/06/2019
Chanel Kruger · Married on 29/08/2020
Beautiful, great food, unorganized
Pros:Sent on 08/09/2020
-beautiful winery with great covered patio for dinner reception. This was a perfect option during covid. Also good for adverse weather
- food was absolutely amazing. Not your boring/plain wedding food. Something for everyone. Everything from salad to dessert
- staff were very friendly, attentive, helpful, fun!
- Makayla the wedding organizer was approachable and helped with flow on day of Rehersal and wedding day. Calamus was very attentive to the reopening stages of Ontario and let me adjust as we moved into stage 3. Contact mostly over email with responses usually within 2 days. Harder to get hold of over phone.
- they are festivities which is a well established and highly rated/recommended wedding company but they certainly did not seem experienced in hosting weddings at their own venue.
- Unorganized from the start. Because I had to plan everything in under 2months. I made sure to triple check timeline of ceremony and dinner. It was in evening and I wanted it to be as early as possible. Not the biggest deal but after invites were finally out I was told I can move up ceremony by half hour but it was too late. Appeared to just be miscommunication between owner and wedding planner. Much more disruptive to overall wedding was set up for day of. I confirmed decor set up time multiple times. And on day of when family/friends showed up to set up were told they cannot set up for another 2.5 hours leaving them with only 2 hours of set up time prior to wedding and my parents lugging decor up stairs to a storage area. Left them with little time to get ready themselves for the wedding which had I known this I would've hired a decorator to set up.
Our wedding day also had severe winds which is at no fault to venue ofcourse. But a reason I felt comfortable booking this "outdoor" venue was that they had siding for the patio incase of adverse weather. All my decor was flying off the tables and breaking (thank goodness i had plenty of extra) so my people asked to have the sides up until time of wedding. The response was that they were unable to due to not having the weights for draping ready/available? Wine glasses were not washed and ready, which also set back the setting up as I used these for my seating chart (which they were made aware of early)
- Lack of attention to detail...I had made it clear I had my own sweetheart table and provided measurements to make sure it will fit. I showed up to a completely different table and a table cloth on it that I had not chosen and completely ruined the vision I had.
Two wine barrels were put beside the sweatheart table for dinner service with no clear spot for speaches so the microphone was put on other side of a barrel so we could barely see speakers. This was extremely unacceptable as speaches at a wedding are directed at the bride and groom, I had to make them move these barrels and was able to solve the solution but unfortunately this had to happen infront of all my guests who were seated for dinner. A chair was left against the arch during my ceremony which was meant for the signing table so will unfortunately be in all my ceremony pictures now.
Also, due to their busy schedule we were unable to meet with them the weeks before the wedding where we could've done a walk through of maybe some of these decor details.
- Food flavor was the best I could've asked for, only downfall was that we got the family style ravioli for our pasta course (which tastes amazing btw) however the portions given to tables resulted in two small raviolis/person. Although this is an app round it is not a reasonable portion and when some guests asked for more there was some pushback from staff.
Dessert we had chosen three different kinds of deserts described as coming out on shooters (commonly found in restaurants). Although these tasted great, the presentation was horrible. I didn't except fancy but they were served in plastic portion cups (that are used in kitchen prep)
Overall, we had an amazing day due to a beautiful winery backdrop, friendly helpful staff, and great tasting food. I would most certainly recommend this venue. Hope these details help others to alleviate the misshaps that was too late for me to change!
Calamus Estate Winery awards
Promotions from Calamus Estate Winery
Book one of our loft barn weddings packages from November 1st 2020 to April 30th, 2021 and no venue rental fee at all.
Team of Calamus Estate Winery
Makayla Van Helsdingen
Makayla is now a third generation event planner offering a wealth experience to your special day. Planning a special barn wedding or intimate barn loft wedding, I look forward to making all your wedding dreams come true.