Distinct Occasion believes that a wedding is a new start to a great life. This enthusiasm about weddings is just a small part of the experienced team at the wedding planning business. The award-winning team also aims to make every couple’s special day a once in a lifetime event with unique and personalized service. Distinct Occasions also specialises in organising destination weddings. Disctinct Occasion is based out of Toronto, Ontario.
You can have packages matching your requirements, time, lifestyle and type of wedding. Distinct Occasion offers, carte blanche, destination weddings, full planning and day/month of coordination. When working with the business, clients can request partial and full service. Offered with the business is the following coverage:
- Rehearsal dinner
The company caters to a civil, cultural, destination, double, eco-friendly, military, non-religious, and religious weddings. For destination weddings they make use of their overseas offices, coordinate with local vendors including the ones willing to travel and their negotiating ability to create a unique, stress free experience for you.
What wedding events do you provide services for?
What wedding planning services do you offer?
What types of weddings do you accommodate?
What is the starting price for day-of wedding coordination?
What is the starting price for partial wedding planning?
What is the starting price for full wedding planning?
Do you offer an hourly rate?
What is the hourly rate?
Any other questions?
ReviewsWrite a review
- When inputting numbers/invoices into our budget, not only did she forget most of our vendors, she also typed the numbers in wrong OR added them twice. As a result, I spent hours fixing her mistakes so that our budget was an accurate portrayal of what was spent and what was remaining.
- Weeks before the wedding, she informed me that she and her team would get to the venues (we had a two-day event) early for set up. The day before event 1, she told my aunt and cousin that she would need them to arrive early to help set up. As a result, they had to change their hair and make-up appointments, and felt rushed throughout the day.
- She also informed me that my family should not be helping because it works better for one person to be in command of everything. Meanwhile, she didn't even bring an updated, printed itinerary with her and had to ask my cousin to borrow hers.
- Even with my cousin's itinerary, things got missed. The wrong song was played at my entrance, games and prizes were forgotten and most disappointing, photographs of me individually and with the groom were never taken. All of these were discussed with her ahead of time and typed up on our detailed itinerary. When I spoke with her about it -
focusing on the photographs - she blamed the weather and guests. I reminded her that photographs had nothing to do with either and that she needed to follow the itinerary that had taken days to put together, with every little detail thought out for her.
-On our actual wedding day, I heard her complaining to someone that my family had shown up too early. I asked her not to talk about my family to others. If she had a complaint, she should speak to me in a professional manner about it. I then informed her that the people who showed up early were the flower girl and ring bearer with their parents. Crystal was supposed to have shown them where we were taking bridal photos. Her lack of professionalism and courtesy made them miss the photos. Again, this was all clearly marked on the itinerary which I'm not sure she read.
- Her main task was to keep us on time with everything, including photos. We had discussed this 2 days before the wedding. When it was time for family photos, I couldn't find her. I asked her assistant where she was and she said that Crystal doesn't help with photos. I informed the assistant that she needed to find Crystal and Crystal needed to follow through with this important responsibility. Crystal showed up 5 minutes before the photos were done. Her only input was to tell me to hold my bouquet lower.
- She broke one of my vases. Rather than clean it up and put it in the garbage, she threw the glass back in the box with other items of mine. I could have reached my hand in and cut myself. She did not inform me of this herself until much after the fact
The list went on and on. Eventually, we began to ignore her, and didn't even notice when she left. Instead we relied on our other vendors who were an awesome team and truly stepped up to make the day magical for us. They included:
Dave Abreau - Photographer
Paras of Paras Events - Decorator
Kim Janse - Florist
Dev of Impact Djs - DJ
Cindy - Liberty Grand Coordinator
Looking back, I wish I had taken all the negative reviews about Crystal seriously, and simply relied on the wedding coordinator from the hall. It would have saved us time and stress. I wrote this review to help brides out there avoid my mistake.
Wedding of our dreams!
If you know what you want, know how to manage your budget and have a strong personality to make sure you get what you want when you want then Distinct Occasions is for you. Alternatively, if you have unlimited budget and don't have strong preferences about your wedding, then Carte Blanche offering at Distinct Occassions is also for you.
Crystal is the perfect mix of consummate professional and best friend. She is there for you at the drop of a hat with reassuring words, but she will also be the first one to tell you when your idea has gone off the rails. She is not a hand-holder, but a guiding light for all things wonderful and wedding-tastic! The thing that always spoke the loudest to me was just how highly others spoke of her and her services. Everyone knows that when Crystal and Distinct Occasions is on your side, things will get done right.
I feel so glad that I didn't listen to my inner stomping, stubborn, bride and decided to work with Distinct. I can very honestly say that I truly enjoyed, savored, and remembered my day because of Crystal and her amazing team!
It was like a successful first date, my initial meeting with Gina 'The Wedding Planner of My Dreams’ from Distinct Occasions. (The company that delivers on awesomeness) She listened to me talk my head off and ramble a bunch of random thoughts and dreams and with an ‘I got you girl' attitude was able to beautifully paint me a picture of exactly what I wanted. I went home and I just couldn't get her out of my head-I told my partner I had to have her!
Fast forward to our big fat outdoor wedding on a football field of a property, I can honestly say my level of stress was at a negative! I had zero melt downs and I was literally sipping a glass of champagne with figs in it (my favorite) all day long without a worry in the world. I spent my wedding doing what I love: eating, drinking and jumping in a jumpy castle. (Oh yah and marring the love of my life!)
I must admit at first I didn't think I would need a wedding planner. I really thought the few dinners where I didn't burn the pasta meant I was a successful party planner. I am happy for our magical initial meeting that showed me otherwise because, I can safely say in my own hands given the sheer volume of work required to execute a backyard wedding, my whole wedding experience would not have been so chill to say the least. Distinct Occasions truly understands the concept of a happy stress free bride and groom!
Now Happily Married,
Talia and Amin
Distinct Occasions provided exceptional service and professionalism and was able to make our Wedding Day one of the best celebrations for us, as well as our guests.
We would recommend them to any other couple getting married!
If you’re even thinking of a Destination Wedding, our advice is to have a Wedding Planner, even if they are halfway across the world! Our initial meeting was a simple coffee date in Canada, loosely tossing up the possibility of having a wedding in Hawaii and we didn’t meet up with Crystal again until the week of our wedding…in Maui! Of course there was plenty of texts, phonecalls, FaceTime and Skype in between!!
It all still seems so surreal to Brad and I. Thanks to the many avenues of communication and technology, everything was done overseas through Crystal. It sounds like it could have been complicated and stressful especially not being able to meet with the Wedding Planner and signing contracts galore for things like the venue that you hadn’t been able to visit and working with a budget…but as Brad says, for all the grooms out there, “Planning a wedding with Crystal is so easy. I don’t see why people don’t get a Wedding Planner”. We adored her so much, partway through planning it only seemed fitting to ask her to marry us!
We LOVED our experience with Distinct Occasions and wouldn't change a thing!
Are you interested?