On WeddingWire since 2020
Last update: June 2023
Situated in Newmarket, Ontario, Madison Greenhouse Event Venue is a wedding venue with a tropical ambience. Ideal for destination weddings, the banquet hall has been hosting events for over a quarter of a century. It is nestled on four acres of property that has been carefully tended to. The entire location offers a storybook backdrop for your “I dos.”
Facilities and Capacity
Madison Greenhouse Event Venue can accommodate well over 200 loved ones for your milestone moment. Throughout the venue, lights adorn and illuminate the landscape, creating a romantic setting for celebrations. In the greenhouse, there is The Fig Leaf Room, which features a waterfall and indoor trees. This space is suited to gatherings of up to 250 people. The banquet hall spans 14,000 square feet in total, offering ample room for dancing and dining. In the Ivy Chapel and Cocktail Room, 200 guests can be seated amongst the greenery and blooming flowers. Outside, a cobblestone path becomes the aisle for ceremonies in The Garden Chapel. A natural forest surrounds this picturesque place for vow exchanges. Then, receptions can be held on The Terrace, which offers a covered patio space and can fit up to 250 people. It boasts a memorable European charm. The covering is ideal in case of rainy weather.
The team at Madison Greenhouse Event Venue provides tables and chairs for the couple’s convenience. They also employ bar staff to craft beverages for guests. Entertainment is taken care of by the greenhouse’s DJ. Couples work with the venue’s caterer, whose expert culinary team has been carefully chosen by the venue. Weddings can be held at this locale throughout the year. The venue also provides an officiant service, which helps streamline the process of locating vendors. Couples can celebrate their wedding in addition to their engagement party, shower, and rehearsal dinner here. Access to a dressing room is also provided, making getting ready simpler. Cleanup and setup are offered as well so the sweethearts can spend more time enjoying the day.
How many event spaces or rooms does your venue offer?
Describe your venue:
Describe the style of your venue:
What kind of settings are available?
Which of the following wedding events does your venue service?
What event services do you offer?
What catering services do you offer?
What bar services do you provide?
What event items are available?
What food and beverage items are available?
What transportation and access is available?
Do you have a site fee for wedding receptions at your venue?
What is the starting site fee for wedding receptions during peak season?
What is the starting site fee for wedding receptions during off-peak season?
Do you have a site fee for wedding ceremonies at your venue?
What is the starting site fee for wedding ceremonies during peak season?
What is the starting site fee for wedding ceremonies during off-peak season?
Which of the following are included in starting site fee?
What is the average catering price per person for plated service?
What is the average catering price per person for buffet service?
What is the average catering price per person for stations?
What is the average catering price per person for hors d'oeurves?
Which of the following are included in the cost of wedding catering?
What is the starting price per person for bar service?
Which of the following are included in the starting price for bar service?
Any other questions?
ReviewsWrite a review
25 User photos
Beautiful as long as you're aware of a few things
If you're able to navigate all the elements that you need brought in, it's a well worth it venue. My advice is to read through your BEO thoroughly. One problem I did run into was with water at the bar. I had just under 200 person wedding and didn't realize since we wouldn't have water pitchers at the tables that most of the guests would need to come up for water. They had one small water dispenser and left the glasses out, so unfortunately there was a longer wait for the water than for actual drinks. If you're aware of what does come with the add ons and what doesn't, it's a simple fix to rent the pitchers and have your servers refill at the bar. I think the venue could have been slightly more helpful in maybe listing the items we would need but I also get why they didn't-- most caterers provide these things and we just happened to have one that didn't. Other than that, sometimes the response time was slow for emails but overall everyone I interacted with during my visits and over the emails were helpful to all the questions and concerns I had. I had my wedding on a Monday so we had to have music down by 11, and finish by 12. Not sure how much that extends on the weekend but unfortunately it is due to noise level laws for the area.
The pros aside from the staff is obviously that it's a gorgeous venue. The weather was perfect the day of but it was very comforting knowing that had it rained that day that the ceremony space inside would have been just as lovely. They have a ton of (newly renovated) washrooms, and a lounge area away from the other spaces were people can chill out, bring their hyper kids or elderly people can convene away from the blaring music. There were so many different places to take photos, so naturally after all was said and done I was told over and over again how lovely the venue was.
I planned my wedding myself and had a lot of DIY elements, so if you have a planner or if most of your vendors can provide multiple elements that they don't, it's a great venue to go with.
HORRIBLE Experience with Management
LOST OF "GUARANTEED" SET-UP TIME: A few months before our wedding, we discovered that another event was booked on the same day. Our ceremony was scheduled for 4PM, and the other event was supposed to be packed up and gone by 2PM. We expressed our concerns to management of how they could possibly “guarantee” the party would be gone on time, but they continually persisted that this would not be a problem and we had plenty of time.
Lo and behold... on our wedding day, my husband and I met at the venue at 2:15 for our First Look. To our horror, we saw three coach busses, with herds of guests still EVERYWHERE, and a FULL BUFFET taking place where we were to do our First Look. Guests had full plates of food, were sitting back, chatting —clearly without a clue another event was scheduled. They even told us that management told them they could stay til 4.
When we went to the Office for help, management told us they were "busy on the phone with other clients". This was very upsetting because we were standing in front of them clearly distraught, and there was no sense of urgency or prioritizing on their part. Finally, when management got off the phone at 2:30, they brushed us off, saying not to worry as the party would be gone soon.
Not only were we baffled by this response, but management did not even step outside of their office to try to usher the other party out. Their continual nonchalance was absolutely unacceptable. In the end, our wedding coordinator and groomsmen had to awkwardly ask the other guests to leave, which was NOT their job and really soured the way our day started.
At 3:30, the other guests finally left, but we had now lost 1.5 hrs of set-up time. Management continued to hide in the office, while our vendors scrambled under high pressure to set up the space with barely any time. Because of this, certain sentimental details from our decor had to be left out. And even as our own guests arrived, welcome signs and decor from the previous event were still not taken down.
Management later tried to retort that our contract stated that we weren't guaranteed 'exclusive access' to our space until 4PM, but 'exclusive access' is VERY different from having ANY access at all to our space for set-up. This lack of responsibility was extremely unfair to our vendors and bridal party who had to step in to resolve the situation.
SURPRISE LANDMARK FEE: Two weeks before our wedding, Madison contacted our caterer saying that starting in 2023, a 10% landmark fee for outside vendors will be added to all events.
We were very confused since our contract was signed in 2022, meaning any new policies thereafter should not apply. Also, our caterer was a preferred vendor.
We carefully reread our contract, and copied/pasted the section on 'Outside Caterers' (pg. 3) to refute the fee. Madison agreed to waive the fee, but our vendor told us that two other couples they worked with, whom also signed their contracts in 2022, didn’t catch on to this and had paid the 10% fee, which Madison accepted without question.
This begs the question of how Madison could even try to apply this fee, knowing full-well that this was a preferred vendor, and that legally, any 2023 policies should not have been applied to 2022 contracts.
IN THE END, Madison refunded us $1500 for our lost set-up time; but keep in mind, the contract states that they charge clients $500 for every 30 min of overtime use of the space — so really, this was the least they could do. In fact, they initially tried to offer us ‘free use’ of the garden space to redo our First Look photos as a solution, which just further shows their lack of understanding of good business and ethics.
Yes, the space is beautiful, but future couples beware — read the fine print, don’t be afraid to speak up, and know your rights. Management WILL try to take advantage of you otherwise.
A Beautiful Venue
Happy with the end result, but planning was a nightmare
I had my wedding at the Madison greenhouse last December and although I don't regret it looking back, there are a lot of things I wish I knew before booking. The venue was worth it for me because I really wanted a unique venue and was mostly happy with how the day went, but it was a bit of a nightmare getting here.
- This venue is just as beautiful as the photos and the vibe is very romantic and aesthetic during both the ceremony and reception
- I truly did have a lot of compliments from my guests saying that this was one of the most unique wedding venues they've been to
- The lighting during my daytime photos was really beautiful and I'm super happy with how those turned out
- The staff was pretty friendly
- This venue is EXPENSIVE. I figured that all-inclusive venues would be more costly since you are paying for the convenience of not needing to find your own vendors; however sourcing your own vendors at Madison's actually ended up being more expensive on top of being way more work. To put it in perspective, my friends with a similar guest count (180 people) had their weddings for around $35-50k at other venues in the GTA. Our wedding ended up being $65k and this was already with me cutting costs by skipping a wedding planner, editing my own wedding video, and purchasing our own alcohol/mixers. Just something to consider if you are planning on sticking to a tighter budget.
- Catering was a nightmare to find. I did research on Madison's recommended caterers, but most of the reviews were mediocre. Providing quality food was the one thing I really cared about and all of the popular caterers in the GTA were charging a lot more to come all the way out to Newmarket, in addition to them simply not being able to work with the very limited kitchen resources Madison's has. With that being said, I eventually discovered "Cibo Special Event Catering" and was so so happy that I did. They happen to be based in Aurora, offered the best price for premium food options, and they were just an overall pleasure to work with. I would absolutely recommend them for anyone who is struggling to find a good caterer at Madison's. I seriously got so many compliments on how good the food was, so I'm really happy about that.
- Most wedding venues allow you to have a rehearsal the night before, but Madison's would not allow us to book our rehearsal until 30 days before our wedding and by then, their schedule was all booked out during the days leading up to our wedding, so we had to have our rehearsal 5 days before. Since most of our bridal party wasn't able to make it all the way to Newmarket late at night on a Monday, we were literally forced to do our rehearsal on the day of, 1hr before the actual ceremony.
- Adding onto this previous point, most venues will allow a decor team to set up early on the day of the wedding, but Madison's is only able to guarantee 2hrs of setup before your wedding, which is frankly quite absurd and disappointing considering we paid $12k just to rent the venue.
- Madison's owners are extremely cheap and refused to turn on the heating at the venue until the exact moment that our wedding ceremony started. Considering our wedding was in December, our decor team and guests were all wearing their jackets during the ceremony since it was freezing for the first few hours. Even their own staff was wearing winter jackets in their office..
- There is no in-house media or anyone to help set it up, so you're on your own if you want to have a slideshow or any videos playing during the wedding (we had to bring our own soundboard, projector, and projector screen, as well as all our mics)
- The venue gets very dark in the night, which was nice for the vibe, but terrible for our photographer. As mentioned before, the greenhouse has amazing lighting for daytime photos, but all of the nighttime photos will require flash which kind of ruined all of the reception photos.
Anyways good luck to all your brides out there! Hope this helps with your decision process :)
Beautiful venue! Lots of floral and flowers
The most beautiful venue in the gta
Beautiful Venue and Team 5 Stars
Are you interested?
Madison Greenhouse Event Venue Real Weddings
Would you like to visit?