Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie May 2020 Ontario

When do you send out invites?

AmyB, on October 9, 2019 at 12:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15

I'm getting married May 30 2020 and we are getting deep into wedding planning now! Or trying to, at least!

How far in advance do you send out wedding invitations if you aren't sending out Save the Dates?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Maegan, on November 17, 2019 at 17:48
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Woo Wedding day twins! We sent out save the dates in June so our official invites will be going out at the end of January 😊
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm getting .married in april and invites went out last month. So we can get numbers far I'm advance and add people before our wedding block closes
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If I were you, I'd send them out now lol. Give your guests as much time as possible to arrange time off, travel time, money, accommodations, etc.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe 4 mmonths out. so they can book hotels/travel/figure out childcare

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

With us we had 2 rounds of invitations go out, and we had RSVP's via text/email/phone call so we sent out our first batch of invites approx. 5 months before, then the second batch at the 3 month mark, and got all RSVP's in for that last wave at the 1 month mark.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is your wedding etiquette that says when to send them. For us, I started with the date that my venue needed final numbers, and worked back. They needed numbers the week before our wedding, but I wanted to have enough time to chase people down if I had to. So I sent mine out 3 months in advance, and had RSVPS due the month before.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Official etiquette, says you have to give people a minimum of 4-6 weeks to respond or notice to book hotels, etc. I think that is the accepted bare minimum.

We're not doing save the dates either and most of the guests are going to have travel from out of town/province. For those reasons, my FH and I are doing a timeline a little more like that recommended for a destination wedding - more 4-6 months out. (Might not be a bad idea to weigh in guest travel when picking the invite/RSVP timeline for yourself)

Our date is end of August 2020. Our first round of invitations are going out in the beginning of February 2020 with an RSVP mid-March. We are expecting a lot of No's from extended family that we feel obligated to send an invite to even though we know they won't/can't come (about 30%)....They'll be a second round of invites sent out Mid-March and RSVP dates on those are late April.

• B
    Frequent user July 2020 Saskatchewan
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We also are not doing save the dates.
  • B
    Frequent user July 2020 Saskatchewan
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I plan. I’m sending mine out before April 1st, with an RSVP date of June 7th. Our wedding is July 25th, 2020.
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was curious about this too! Thanks for posting Smiley smile

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just mailed our invites out this week which will be just over 3 months before the wedding and we did save the dates. Maybe send your's out at around 4 months? It also depends on when your caterer and venue need your attendance numbers by. Work backwards from your wedding date to the date when your final numbers need to be submitted and then set an RSVP deadline for a month to 2 weeks before that to give time to chase anyone who hasn't replied. Then send your invites out about 2-3 months before that RSVP deadline.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours will go out 6 months in advance. The RSVP date will probably be 2 months after that so we can chase people.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would send out invites around 4-6 months if you aren't doing save the dates.

Keep in mind, there will be that one guest who loses the invite and will message you 2 weeks after the RSVP that they lost it and need all the details then.

If possible, I'd spread the word using word of mouth of the date for guests as a reminder.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Invitations need short time to send out since your RSVP date will be a month to month and half time to reply. 4 months is sufficient for your guests to receive the invites and not lose them easily.

I get what your BM was trying to tell you though it will run in the problem I had then. We got married in August 2017 and the invites were sent out January new years time. The RSVP date was for end of march leaving 6 months for final count and details. However, your guests will be asking you to send the invites to them again due to losing theirs fast.

Ask others you know and if they did online, then you have nothing to worry about losing information as its available online. Paper invites will cost you double considering sending twice if lost by guests.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm getting married June 20, 2020. We sent out our invites in August. My bridesmaid told me to send them out around the one year mark. But I've seen a lot of lists that say to do it just a couple months before.

We wanted to send ours out early because we knew it would be a popular date.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics