Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

Unplugged Ceremony

Holly, on April 12, 2019 at 18:44 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 16
So I saw this picture on Facebook today and it actually made me a bit mad! I know a lot of you on here are also having an unplugged ceremony so I thought I'd share this.. An unplugged ceremony is one of the most important parts of the ceremony for me, I find it extremely rude and disrespectful to have your phone or cameras out, especially RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE SIGN!!! I definitely couldn't see any of my guests breaking this rule but it's definitely going to be at the back of my head. Nothing ruins ceremony pictures more than a crowd of guests with their phones and cameras out, in my opinion.
How would you react I'd guests decided to ignore your unplugged request?

Unplugged Ceremony 1

16 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on April 29, 2019 at 16:25
  • Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am worried that there will be people in my family who ignore our sign. Some people feel as though they can do what they want, when they want. To be honest, my moms behavior in general is quite rude and I have huge anxiety thinking about things she's capable of doing on our big day.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh for sure!! It just sucks when people can't stay off their phones for 1/2 hour!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its completely rude and just wrong to think that guests can take pictures knowing the sign says not to go about it.

The best thing that is also done is having your officiant making an announcement to reinforce that request. Our officiant made it clear right before starting the ceremony. Only exception for us was my brother to take pictures of us at the lower level.

I'm still glad that the videographer and photographer had the space where no one could be in their way.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would be so annoyed if this happened! I’ve seen it happen at a wedding before where a guest thought she was the exception to the “unplugged” rule and was taking photos in the aisle lol.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's my biggest thing..it's so disrespectful to the couple. You got lucky then! I've seen so many pictures of people in the aisle AS the bride was walking down .. I don't think many people are that rude but still in the back of my head lol
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I very well may tell our officiant to call out anyone that does it, I don't mind! Lol
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah our coordinator will be on phone duty to make sure all phones and cameras are away lol it's just plain rude after several reminders to go ahead and do it.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah exactly when it's right there in front of you and you still ignore it..just plain rude!! Just do what the couple wants for half hour and then take whatever pics you want after! Lol
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's rude to disregard the bride and groom's wishes. If it's unplugged, turn your phone off.

As far as staying out of the way though, he is doing a good job not blocking anything. He's standing up, behind the crowd, not in the aisles. If this was a plugged ceremony, he would be okay to be there!

We did not have an unplugged ceremony, and we don't have any shots of guests ruining photos; they were considerate enough to stay out of the photographer's way!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would for sure stop the ceremony to say something. I'm not one to keep quiet or go with the flow, I cause scenes when I deem necessary.

Maybe I should mention that in the sign.... lol "I will call you out on it if I see you."

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would be pretty hurt especially if they ruined shots for the photographer. From this pic I can only see that one guy doing it and he is at the very back. I would be upset but glad he is at the very back and not front and center. Once ceremony has started can't do much about it. If there was ushers that saw bunch people before hand preparing their camera's I would have them remind guests its unplugged.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As someone who's having a unplugged ceremony as well, I'd also be mad if this happened! We're having our officiant announce the unplugged ceremony before the processional and we'll have a sign, so I'd find it extremely rude if someone decided to blatantly disregarded our sign/officiant's announcement. Our venue coordinator will be making sure that no one breaks the rule too.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The whole plugged vs. Unplugged ceremony never bothered me! But I agree when there are direct wishes from the bride/groom that are blatantly ignored I find that very rude! We are getting married in a church so no phones is a standard expectation but honestly I wouldnt mind of people snuck a few photos! I honestly would love to see our vows from the people sitting around us not just the photographer! I agree its seen as rude and disrespectful ESPECIALLY WHEN THERES A SIGN but for myself as a bride it's not the thing that would annoy me! We actually have a photo game for the reception like I'm encouraging people to take as many photos when possible/allowed!
  • DrB
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    DrB ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We toyed with the idea of an unplugged ceremony, and I’m glad we didn’t go through with it. Our guests were respectful and yes, you can see some phones in our photos- it really doesn’t bother me. Honestly, one of our guests caught a very special moment on video and we got some great photos pretty much right after the ceremony. Now, I’m glad that we let people be excited with us and take some photos. That said, If it means that much to you, it’s fine to ask
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh for sure I'll call out close friends and family. I'm sure at the moment of it happening we won't even notice because we'll have much more important things going on lol but like you said people can't keep their phones down and I understand wanting their own pictures but they also need to understand our wants are more important on that day! Our ceremony is 20-25 mins max, it will be super easy to have their phones and cameras away for that short period.
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I completely agree with you! As much as I would love to yell at them right there in the moment, there isn’t really much you can do. If it was close family I would be like “what is wrong with you, can’t you read” lol.
    I just really hope it doesn’t happen. I’m paying for photographers, let them take the pictures and if you really want it that bad It can be sent when we get the wedding pics!
    It’s super difficult for people to be off their phones. Our ceremony is literally going to be half an hour. Put it away it can wait!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics