Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Parent Dances? Keep or Cancel?

Lynnie, on 16/September/2019 at 09:49 Posted in Wedding reception

Are you keeping the tradition of dancing with your parents at the reception with father-daughter and mother-son dances (or whatever family combo works for you!)? Or would you rather cancel this tradition and trim down the number of spotlight dances so you can get straight to celebrating?

What's your vote on parent dances? Keep or cancel?

Parent Dances? Keep or Cancel? 1

Photo from Wedding Choreography in Toronto

Next Question: Reception Speeches

Back to the Beginning: Keep or Cancel?

Share:

30 Comments

• Racheal Blair
    Frequent user November 2021 Ontario
    Racheal Blair ·

Keep! It's something I feel super awkward about, BUT know it will mean the world to my Dad.

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Nelly ·

Keep we're really close to our parents and I couldn't imagine missing out on this tradition

• M
    Beginner August 2020 Quebec
    Meghan ·

Keep! I'm such a daddy's girl

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·

Keep! My dad is so excited to have a dance and we chose a song from my childhood that was our song.

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    Keep! My dad & I are dancing to a cover of November Rain by Guns & Roses (it was on the radio when my dad was driving to the hospital when my mom was in labor with me). My fiancé hasn’t picked a song yet for his mother-son dance yet, too many good ones to chose from ☺️
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    Keep. My father is SO IMPORTANT TO ME and I think this is something that will really mean a lot to both of us.
    Meanwhile, I am SHOCKED that my fiance's mother wanted to do a dance.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    Kept. We did them at the same time
  • Danielle
    Frequent user June 2023 Manitoba
    Danielle ·
    I think we're cancelling. Not because we don't like them, but because FH was already apprehensive about being in the spotlight like that with his mom and then he found out that my father isn't even invited so now he's basically like "well if you're skipping it so am I" lol. Now we're going to talk to our party members about doing a group choreographed swing dance to Nothin' to Lose by Josh Gracin. We've got 3+ years to practice so hopefully we can nail it!
  • Maddie19
    Beginner July 2020 Alberta
    Maddie19 ·

Keep! I think it's cute.

• Rebecca
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    I wanted to cancel it, but my mom got insulted. So.... keep. But we're the only parent dance.
  • Bianca
    Featured August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·

Keep. It was important to us to do the parents dances.

• Amelia
    Featured September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·

Keep. I think our parents would be really sad if we didn't keep them - his mom for sure. And I've got my dad thinking of songs Smiley smile

• Tina
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Tina ·

Cancel. Neither of my parents will be there. I haven't talked to FH about it yet, but I'm thinking of dancing with his dad while he does the Mother-Son dance. It wouldn't quite be a Father-Daughter dance, but it would still help show how important FFIL is to us.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·

Keep! These are things that are a lot more meaningful so it's worth keeping them.

• Chelsea
    Featured June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    Keep! it’ll be such a nice moment
  • Amanda
    Frequent user October 2020 Alberta
    Amanda ·

Keep! I like these traditions.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles