Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rachael
Super October 2019 Ontario

Is there an ideal time to mail wedding invitations?

Rachael, on April 19, 2018 at 16:19 Posted in Before the wedding 0 19

What would you consider too early or too late?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Rachael, on May 8, 2018 at 15:31
  • Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, JuneBride!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Always had a set kept aside for back up as an plan for that reason. It worked out better way actually.
  • Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, Vinod! I'm sorry to hear your guests lost the information.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Gove yourself 3 months beforehand to send out the invites toget the final count for your venue 1 one month prior. This way there os no reason for any of your guests to lose the information.

I sent the invites 9 months prior ad was asked to send the card through text since it was lomg ways to go before the date. Thats the reason behind my story.
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I am. I haven’t even invited some of my friends which sucks. So depending on who says they can’t then I can invite friends. As well as we had to be very strict on who we are inviting and who we aren’t. Hoping because we are getting married in the evening that we won’t have a lot of kids come.
  • J
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm assuming your venue wants the final count a week or two before the wedding. They say 6-8 weeks prior because if you send it out too early people will put it aside and then forget about it or lose it. We're having 300 people so I'm planning on sending it out 10 weeks prior and giving them 4 weeks to RSVP. It gives me time to chase down people who haven't replied and I can take time with the seating chart. Late August is fine. We are sending out save the date cards in mid June so they will be expecting the wedding invites when the time comes to send them. If you aren't sending out save the date cards then maybe send it out in July but don't give them more than a month to RSVP or they will put it off and forget about it.

• Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, Mandy! Will you be inviting people who aren't on the list then based on those who are on the list and decline?

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m mailing mine probably end of January with an rsvp by March. This way I can invite people that weren’t on the list.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely agree about the 4 months latest. Any later and it won't give guests enough time to make arrangements for your wedding!

• Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, Holly! That's understandable; cutting it that close would make me uncomfortable!

• Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, Jen! I too believe it's too early to send out invitations; however, I was considering sending them a year in advance.
  • Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, Marcia! My fiancé and I are in a similar boat as we're organized and have had an idea of what our guest list would look like prior to our engagement.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd say there is never too early! But definitely too late. I would say 4 months before at the latest. For your date in November then I'd say send them anytime before end of June 2019.
  • Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, Jennifer! Majority of our guests are local as we're having an intimate wedding. Smiley smile

• Rachael
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, Jessica! My fiancé's brother and his family are the only guests that are from out of town so I may look to skip save the dates too and send out the invitations early instead.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Jennifer. We had a short engagement and didn't send out save the dates, so we sent our invites out 4-5 months in advance, especially since I had out of town guests coming. I also had guests from out of the country, so I made sure to personally call those guests to make sure they saved the date.

If you have already sent out save the dates, then I would say wait until 3 months before to send them (with a return date of a month before the wedding), to make sure you have time to contact those who don't reply and/or change their minds, otherwise they get forgotten about.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like it can depend on your situation. We didn’t send out save the dates so we sent out our invites early (around 6 months before). Also if you have guests who have to travel a long ways I’d be sure to send them out early. If most people are local I think you can send them around 4 months before but it’s really up to you!
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know if theres an ideal time to send out invitations, but I think it also depends on if you sent out save the dates. I sent out my save the dates late February, and plan to send out formal invitations next week, giving our guest a month and two weeks to RSVP for our August Wedding. I'm very organized so I like to plan ahead for everything including getting a total count of guest so I can work on table settings etc.!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We sent out our save the dates in August of last year (we get married this June). We then sent out our invites at the end of January and asked for them to be returned 2 months before the wedding date so that we had time to call people to see if they were coming or not and to get our seating all figured out.

If you were planning on sending them out now I would say that is much to early, especially if your wedding isn't until November of next year. I would probably send them out in April of next year.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics