Erin
Beginner November 2020 Ontario

Flower alternatives?

Erin, on January 24, 2020 at 22:52 Posted in DIY 1 30
Saved Save

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some guidance/suggestions!

We are getting married in November, and I'm currently pricing flowers. I did anticipated a high cost, but it's still more than I was thinking. I'm quickly learning that flowers are not as important a detail for me to be spending the money on. Looking for suggestions or ideas for what others have done. Do I go wholesale and try to make my own? Did anyone have success with fake flowers? Just going to be bouquets for myself and 3 bridesmaids.

30 Comments

• Baria
    Beginner July 2021 Quebec
    Baria
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Was checking them. You got me convinced
  • Brittany
    Newbie August 2021 Alberta
    Brittany
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    OMG. That is super cool. The fact that some look real is amazing. Makes me wish I lived closer to Ontario lol!
  • Alison
    Beginner August 2020 Ontario
    Alison
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Thanks! 馃. I ordered them from AliExpress!
  • Liga
    Frequent user June 2020 Quebec
    Liga
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

WOW...Love those flowers...from where did you order them? They look real and beautiful!

• M
    Beginner August 2020 Quebec
    Margot
    • Dispute

Following..... I am also considering something borrowed blooms; they are super affordable. There is also bouqs (maybe USA only), Forever floral (custom wood flowers) and of course as someone mentioned Costco has great options. Let us know what you find out and choose.

• Linda
    Curious October 2020 Nova Scotia
    Linda
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

I've been stressing over the flowers and the cost, so I really love your comment, "great wedding, but those were obviously fake flowers." It makes me feel so much better.

• J
    Newbie June 2020 British Columbia
    Jenny
    • Dispute

I love things found in nature like salal, cedar boughs, other greeneries around. Especially nice for November.

• Tori Doll
    Featured October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori Doll
    • Dispute
    View quoted message

I'm not sure - I think they are just the regular ones that your would buy at Michael's or something? My Baba is a florist so we were able to go to a wholesaler and buy them under her "business" name. She was a big help in it but to be honest we didn't have flowers anywhere else other than the bouquets so it wasn't like people were up close and able to inspect them. Only time that happened was when I had friends over and they saw them on the table. I don't think you can go that wrong with fake flowers no matter the material - nobody is going to have a takeaway from a wedding thinking "great wedding, but those were obviously fake flowers".

• Shawna
    Beginner July 2020 Florida
    Shawna
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    These look natural. Are these silk? How would you know the difference between quality, natural looking faux flowers and phony looking ones?
  • Shawna
    Beginner July 2020 Florida
    Shawna
    • Dispute
    Hi! I just read that it is recommended to get faux flowers for things high up like an arch or greenery/flower wall backdrop. Then get fresh flowers for things closer up like centerpieces or bouquets. The centerpieces do not have to be any type of flower BTW. You can get creative with centerpieces.
  • Genna
    Curious July 2021 British Columbia
    Genna
    • Dispute
    Wow lots of great information... Hope you don't mind if I follow
  • Kelsey
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Kelsey
    • Dispute
    The ones at costco seem really reasonable! They have a whole online section dedicated to wedding/event flowers.
  • Tarra
    Tarra
    • Dispute
    I鈥檓 ordering mine from Something Borrowed Blooms! They have amazing reviews, an awesome Facebook group where previous brides share tips and tricks, AND you return them after so there isn鈥檛 any waste. I鈥檇 highly recommend them!
  • Lee-Andr茅a
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Lee-Andr茅a
    • Dispute

I've been looking into different shaped leafy herbs, dried thistles/wheat etc, and cheap 'n easy things like baby's breath. The cost of florals can get way out of hand! Smiley smile Good luck!

• Alison
    Alison
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    Thanks! 馃槉. I should also mention that most of them do come folded so you have to unbend them and kinda straighten them out. (Just so you鈥檙e not surprised!) Some reviewers said they steamed them too. I haven鈥檛 planned on doing that but good to know it鈥檚 an option! Hope it works out!!
  • Marcy
    Curious October 2020 Saskatchewan
    Marcy
    • Dispute
    View quoted message
    I think they look beautiful! Love the colours together. I鈥檓 going to check out the website!

Comment on this discussion

Related articles