Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sonia
Frequent user May 2019 Quebec

Did you get your fh an engagement ring

Sonia, on November 12, 2017 at 00:57 Posted in Before the wedding 0 25
I’m kinda on the fence. Everybody says I need to get him one and I want to but he’s pretty adamant on not wanting one. So I’m curious did you get one for your SO or no

25 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 27, 2018 at 09:59
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Men don't usually wear engagement rings generally. If they feel they want to, they can if chosen the choice.

Wedding bands are the the best way to have one cost than two.
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry!

Not criticizing your post at all. My FH isnt wearing one either! Just more so a comment on the dumb history of it. I realize thats not what your post is about now after reading it further. Kinda jumped the gun commenting on another post.

• Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly, we’re going to go back to the place where he got mine and I’m excited to see what they have and what they could come up with Smiley smile
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s hilarious! I’m glad he likes it though! I ended up getting him a really expensive watch for Christmas since he doesn’t want an engagement ring. It’s his engagement present and i know he likes it :b
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Again, the point of this thread is not that my fh does not want to wear a ring. He will eventually be wearing 2, one for engineering and his wedding band...

the question was did you get your fh an engagement ring as in some cultures like my own, it used to be a thing (my father has one and other men in my family) but with the newer generations it is becoming less and less common. So when I asked my bf if he wanted one as I respect his decisions he said no and that he only wants his wedding band as we have a wedding to pay for.

im not asking about the history of engagement rings or if should be asking myself questions if he doesn’t want to wear a ring.
  • Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m saying I agree that if a dude won’t wear a ring it’s kind of a flag and should lead to some questions.
  • H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm sorry, I have no idea what this means. Can you clarify?
  • Victoria
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally agreed. Some dudes just don’t like wearing rings ( a lot of people hate them and jewelry in general) but if proposed to the idea in general it’s a no from me
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought my fiance a ring. To get him used to wearing one. Now he can't go a day with out it! We don't call it an engagement ring though. As a joke I did get on one knee and propose but that was just for laughs.
  • Shannon
    Devoted June 2020 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bought him one because I proposed Smiley smile but if he doesn't want to wear one then bayberry you could look at a fancier wedding band instead?
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did! We were a little non-traditional with how we went about things.... But we decided we both wanted 'engagement' rings so we got a matching set. We are both wearing our engagement rings on our right hand until the wedding and then our engagement rings will become our wedding rings and we will swap them over to our left hands.
    So really we just bought our wedding bands early and called them engagement rings.
    If your FH doesnt want an engagement ring then theres no point in getting one. Most people dont and he likely wont wear it.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband isn't into rings...he only wears his wedding band on date night/special occasions (its safety hazard at work) so he had no interest in another ring. I think it's all personal - if he wants it, go for it, if not then skip it!

• Brittany
    Curious May 2018 New Brunswick
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since I didnt get mine a ring- i told him to choose any ring he wants and ill get it for the wedding, no matter the cost- hes also super fussy and doesnt like a lot of jewelry so an engagement ring is a wast of money and time (weve been looking for q weddinng band for 2 years). I did got to lovebookonline - and im also "proposing" to him at the end- which hell love!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did not get my husband an engagement ring as he did the proposing. Had I been the one to propose then I probably would have gotten him one. If he doesn't really want one then I wouldn't get him one.

• Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea that too but for him it’s more the money aspect of it. He doesn’t want me spending the money on a ring and not putting it towards the wedding. But I just feel terrible because he spent a lot of money on my ring and I feel awful. Is that normal? Lol
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s not so much that he’s opposed to wearing a wedding band. He really wants one of those. And he’s an engineer so he has to wear a ring on his pinky. It’s none of that. It’s more the fact that he doesn’t want an engagement ring since the tradition for most of the old school Italians i know is that they should get one.
    The wedding ring is something completely different that we’ll both wear
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I mean, he could just want to avoid confusion. I knew a guy who wore an engagement ring and everyone kept asking him if he got married.
  • H
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Hj ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The reason that men do not traditionally wear engagement rings is that their purpose is to mark that the woman has been purchased and is now the property of another man for his sexual and reproductive use. Men do not purchase each other for this purpose, and women do not purchase men, making the ring unnecessary. If a dude is really opposed to a ring it might be worth asking some questions about why that is.
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally don't know any men that have an engagement ring. My fiancé didn't want one. If he doesn't want one I wouldn't put out the money. I can understand feeling judged but at the same time you guys are creating your own life together and can have your own traditions. And if you're the one that would be paying for the ring no one else really should get a say. For my fiancé I got him a leather key chain off etsy that had the same engraving as my ring on one side and the coordinates of where we met on the other. I think a personal gift that means something to the two of you would be just as nice.
  • Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s what i was thinking of doing to. Getting him something as an engagement present. For some reason my dads side gives the guy a bracelet so I know he’s getting that. It’s just about thinking of something lol
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the idea of getting him an engagement....for equality's sake....but my FH really doesn't want one. Instead, I just decided to get him an engagement present. I commissioned an artist friend of ours to do a painting.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's something that's a newer "tradition", but it really isn't popular. If your fiancé doesn't want one, then don't get him one.

• Sonia
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My father has an engagement ring and so does my sister in laws husband. It’s more as a thing to get blessed by the priest when we have our engagement party but I feel like it’s a very old tradition to get one. I mean I understand if he doesn’t want one I won’t get him one, I just feel judged
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ive never even heard of the man getting an engagement ring. They usually get their wedding band and thats it. If he doesnt want one then thats your answer, it will most likely be a waste of money.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did not. If he doesn't want one, I would say don't buy him one. There is no "you need to do this". It's your wedding, do what you want.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics