Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Janaya
Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan

Bridal shower.. help!

Janaya, on April 11, 2019 at 12:36 Posted in Before the wedding 0 19

Hello lovely ladies Smiley smile

i'm about to start the plans for my bridal shower that my mother will be hosting..(Im helping her plan it a little because we have completely opposite taste)

**is it better to have it on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon?

**how long before should the invitations go out? we will be doing e-invites

**Should the party match the theme of the wedding? For some reason I just want everything to be rose gold and blush pink which are far from our wedding colours haha

**Do I request rsvps or just let people know when and where it will be and see who shows up?

**I don't really have a lot of girlfriends and I'm getting nervous that it'll just be all older ladies that my mom invites...

**how long should it be? I was thinking like, 2pm-4pm and then if people want to hangout longer they can

It's hard to be excited about these type of events since I don't have many girlfriends and the ones I did consider friends were work colleagues and once I left they didn't make much effort to reach out (I did every once in awhile) but when we see each other in person it's really great.. So i'm not sure who will come and who won't and I feel a little awkward asking them to come if I haven't chatted with them in awhile. Haha! it went well when I asked for addresses for the invitations to the wedding so it shouldn't be so bad now with the bridal shower

ANY advice on what I should do at the shower, decorations, food, music.. or what you've done would be great!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on May 9, 2019 at 20:42
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Janaya,

I would go with Sunday as most people make full day plans on Saturdays. Also, i generally find that most showers are held on Sundays for some reason. If you're planning to host it at a venue, Sundays will definitely not break the bank as it's cheaper to host on a Sunday compared to a Saturday.

I would send out invitations roughly 2 months in advance especially if it's closer to the spring/summer months where weddings and vacations generally happen. EVITES has an RSVP function.

The party theme doesn't have to match your wedding color themes. Some people like to do the color scheme of their wedding as to let guests know your colors. I had a friend who did that in hopes guests don't wear the same color dress as the bridesmaids.

Definitely do RSVPs so you know how much catering to expect. If you are preparing snacks, drinks and cake, it's better to know in advance so you can prepare enough for everyone.

Usually 2 hours is a good time, if you have a bigger guestlist, 3 hours max. Leave some time afterwards in case you have lingering guests who want to have some time to speak with you.

Generally at the shower, there are light refreshments. If you aren't getting it catered, prep some stuff in the morning like cut up fruit trays, vegetable dips, cupcakes or a cake, chips, pretzels, quiches that you can warm up right before the event (costco sells mini quiches that you can pop in the oven, they also carry mini desserts in plastic cups). Decor can be as simple as balloons or paper mache balls (Michaels carries a bunch in their bridal aisle). Music can be a curated list of love songs. Nothing explicit since you have family/more elderly guests. You can have your bridesmaids or mom set up some games that everyone can play. There are a bunch of printable bridal shower games online (questionaires). You can prepare a couple prizes for the winners. I've also seen thank you bags for guests who come, but it's not a must.

• I
    British Columbia
    Ingrid ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My advice is to choose something fun, and keep it natural!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I noticed our weddings are a day apart too! I think if you get the invitations out by Monday, you could have it on June 22nd. I don't think it matters too much that it's close to your wedding, but I'm just concerned with people having enough time to make sure they're free for it. I'm only having mine in May because there's literally no other weekend that works before the wedding, so have yours when you can.

• Janaya
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I told my mom that we are running out of time and she said that it doesn’t matter but I think it does. I told her we need to iron out the plans by this Sunday so I can send the invitations ASAP. We will probably have it June 22nd, but your wedding is just after mine so should I have it sooner?? I don’t want it too close to the wedding
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My shower is on a Sunday (May 26), and my MOH sent out the invitations mid-March with an RSVP deadline by April 26 (so we know how many party favours are needed).

As for theme and attendance, mine is just a small shower (30 people tops), and it's mostly family (and some friends). There's no huge theme and hoopla, it's just a good time to celebrate my upcoming wedding. I think you need to start planning yours ASAP and get things going, otherwise you're not going to be giving your guests enough notice for your shower!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most of the bridal showers I have been to have been on a Saturday afternoon and have lasted for 2-3 hours. Most of them also have a different theme from the wedding and geared more towards the Bride's interests(mine was a Disney theme and my friends is Harry Potter).

Invites can go out 4-6 weeks prior to but I would for sure ask for RSVPs so you know how much food you need and you can plan games accordingly.

I also didn't have a lot of girlfriends that I invited but even with having some older people there they got into it because they all knew me and were there to celebrate the upcoming wedding Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was mine about a month ago!

Sunday Brunch - 11am - 3pm

We sent out invites about 1.5 months prior, and asked for RSVPs

This was a seated event at an Inn with a buffet lunch so we needed to know how many people were coming and made a seating plan!

Mine was a perfect mix of family and friends (about 50 people total) and it was absolutely wonderful!

My girls did all of the decorations and games themselves, they DID match the theme of the wedding but you for sure do not have to!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most traditionally have it on a Sunday afternoon- as a guest i would prefer it. I would say at least 2 months notice. Most showers I have went to have been low key and no theme. People can defiantly do a theme and doesn't need to match. I would request rsvps as you need to know how much food to have. They usually tend to be 1-4 as people arrive late, few games, then open gifts and visit. Depending on crowd and opening gifts can take long time.

I would do games like a questionair- its about you and your FH and they try to get answers right, and then whoever says bride game with pins, food- I would do finger foods: small sandwiches, fruit, veggies, chips/dip, meatballs, stuff like that, nacho dip.

• Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My shower is this Sunday. It is Kate Spade themed with pink gold and black. The shower is hosted by my mom and sister with planning assistance from the bridal party. I hope they come up with minute to win it or game show activities. I did a few things for my shower in terms of planning but the activities are unknown by me.
    I invited mostly colleagues but who have become my friend base. Other than my work friends my circle is small too. 3 of 4 of my bridesmaids are colleagues.
    We had RSVP but one thing I forgot was to have people note allergies or restrictions like for the wedding rsvps
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My shower was on a Saturday, but that is because the bachelorette happened the same day. I like Sundays for showers as Saturday is my day to get stuff done.
    I think 2 months prior is good for the invitations.
    Theme does not have to be related to the wedding! I don’t even think my shower had a theme...
    I would suggest RSVPs. Makes planning for food a lot easier!
    2 hours is a good length! I was at one that was over three and it was too long! They played 5 games, plus made the bride guess which guest wrote each memory, and there were about 30 guests so it was a lot of presents to open! I don’t mind hanging out after a shower, but three hours of planned activity was long (and I like shower games!)
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love the minute to win it idea! Some of the best showers I’ve been to have had game shows turned bridal! I think I am of the minority that I like the corny shower games! But also appreciate the work that is put into adapting other games!
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Generally Sundays seem to be most popular for showers

My mom is planning ours in June and she wants to send out the invites pretty soon. I already received an invitation in March for a shower in May.

Do whatever colours you want girl! Our wedding invitations didn't even match our supposed wedding colours. We just picked what we liked.

I'd say request RSVPs. You'll never regret requesting them, but you might regret not requesting them. Helpful to know for how much food to provide.

re: not having a lot of girlfriends....I feel you on this. I struggled to put together a wedding party. I only have 3 on my side and one is a guy! You're not along in this.

We're actually having a coed shower. Not for that reason, I just didn't want a hen party.

2 hours seems like a good length. You probably don't even need to put an ending time on it to be honest.

Most showers have games. I usually HATE those games haha. My mom wants to do minute to win it games, which sounds MUCH better than making wedding dresses out of toilet paper lol

For food, we're doing a backyard BBQ, with beer and sangria, super casual vibe, nothing crazy. Probably wont really decorate. maybe do some cute string lights or something? My friend did a wine and cheese thing. I've also been to a few English tea party showers with fancy finger sandwiches, cakes and dainties. Food is totally up to you and it doesn't have to be extravagant at all! Smiley smile

• Janaya
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You ladies are so helpful! thank you for all of the ideas! Smiley smile

• S
    Curious August 2020 Alberta
    Shyrelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1)Sunday seems to be popular and doesn't break up the weekend the same.
    2)Invites depends how much time you have(my engagement to wedding is only 5 months total), how many people you want to make sure come(less notice might get less people), what you're doing(do you need reservations).
    3)Do the gold and pink thing! It sounds lovely, and very feminine/bridal which us what your party is for right?
    4)RSVPs are easier for amount of food but again depends on your style of party, I wouldn't say necessary.
    5)I've never kept female friends well, more "one of the guys" I guess. I'd invite the coworkers if you get along. I've been to bridal showers that I wasn't even invited to the wedding lol.
    6)Sounds like a perfect amount of time! Are you doing the fun little games to help fill the time? It would be less time of awkward talking to the older women.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1. I think the day depends on your preference and budget. Saturday afternoons a lot of venues will likely be booked, and of course Sundays are likely cheaper!

2. Id say invites should go out 1.5-2 months before just to give you time to get the attendee numbers.

3.your theme definitely doesn’t need to reflect your wedding theme. Lots of girls I know did a Kate Spade theme which is cool with all the bright colours!

4.in my opinion, you definitely want RSVPs, it’ll help you prepare for how much food you need, drinks, etc.

5. Bridal showers are usually 2-3 hours for the ones I’ve been to. Otherwise it gets to be too long.

dont worry about not having girlfriends! I’m in the same boat. I’m inviting all the women I’ve invited to the wedding on my side and my FHs side. So family will be able to chat with family, friends with friends. You’ll be fine! It’ll be a great time!
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I myself have only been to showers on Sundays but it's whatever works for you and your mom. For sure request RSVP's so you know how many ppl are coming to plan for food and space. Food wise I would just have finger foods. You are having it after lunch so nothing too heavy. If you are going to do any games I have seen prizes for the longest married, who's anniversary date is closest to your wedding date. If your future in-laws are not hosting a shower for you, you can include his mom, aunts, sisters, cousins, girlfriends of his groomsmen.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Which Day? I would go for the Sunday afternoon as most community centre's are cheaper on Sunday compared to Saturdays, but if you have a lot of out of town guests that may want to attend then a Saturday is a better choice.

When will the invites go out? For us we will probably send the invitations out about a month before the wedding shower.

Theme match? I say go with rose gold and blush pink! No way am I sticking to just our wedding colours! This is all about the bride and if you want it girly then go for it! Besides, I will probably want whatever colours PartyStuff has decor for!

Request RSVP's? YES! I would for sure ask for people to RSVP! You will need to know how much food and drinks to have. Plus, what if nobody shows up?? If you get lots of people who can't make it maybe you could move the date?

Mom's friends VS people your own age: I mean, what about sisters, cousins, etc? I myself only have maybe 5 girl cousins and 1 sister, but I will also be inviting the wives/girlfriends of my male cousins to attend the shower as well as my FH's. All that aside, I'm sure you will get better gifts from them anyway Smiley tongue

How long should it be? I'm thinking 2-3 hours will be plenty of time. Most showers that I have been to are almost come and go if it weren't for the fact that people stay to watch you open the physical presents.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1. It really depends on what works for you, and where you are going. Some places could offer cheaper prices for a Sunday.

2. I agree with Caitlin, 1 - 2 months would be plenty of time. If you have a lot of out of town people, I would maybe push 3 months just to give them enough time to plan and travel.

3. You can do any theme for your shower! Our wedding is fall rustic theme. My shower (step mom is planning) is a fancy high tea! Totally different themes.

4. Personally I would request RSVPs. Just so you know how much food to have, how many tables need to be set up etc.

5. I also do not have many girlfriends. My shower is only for my side of the family. So it will be all family with the exception of my MIL, and 3 sister in laws (My bridesmaids). It's a celebration for you, so I wouldn't worry about it too much!

6. Time wise, 2 hours is a good chunk of time. An hour for games, socializing and food. Then an hour for gifts etc. There will be people who will leave right away, and some that you will be kicking out after its over lol.

I am in the same boat. I have 1 really good work friend, and a couple from my last job. But we are sticking to just family, and I didn't want to invite people to my shower when they weren't being invited to the wedding. It will still be fun! And it's another day all about you.

There is something about showers that I automatically think soft colours (love your blush and rose gold). I don't know if its because many of the showers I have been to are in the spring / summer so those themes are always fitting.

If you do games, my cousin did a good one at hers. She had balloons at each table, and at the bottom of the balloons there were pictures of her and her Fiance throughout their relationship. You had to go around and guess which year the pictures were from. It was cute!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

* It depends on your guest availability and preference. Since it will be a daytime shower i think either one would be fine and neither is necessarily better in general.

*I'd say 1-2 months before the shower.

* It does not need to match your wedding theme or wedding colours. if you want to make the theme match to make it cohesive with your wedding that is fine. if you want a totally different theme that is fine too. My wedding is winter themed but I doubt my shower will be since it's in the fall, we'll see what my mom and MOH come up with.

*I would request RSVPs just to know how much food you will need and if you want to do favours to know how many to buy.

* I don't have a lot of girlfriends either so my shower will be primarily family from mine and my fiance's sides and most of them are older. Don't sweat it.

* I think 2-3 hours is a good amount of time so your 2-4 plan with the option for people to hand around is good.

I know it can be awkward to think about inviting people you haven't talked to in a while. My FMIL is inviting some of her family members that I really have only said "hello, nice to meet you" to at someone else's wedding and a funeral. I was apprehensive at first but she convinced me that everyone would genuinely want to celebrate and get to know me better and it's probably the same for your guests.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics