Canoe is a Toronto-based restaurant which is part of Oliver & Bonacini Events and Catering. Sitting atop the TD Bank Tower, it specializes in attracting weddings and events that require breathtaking views. Canoe's stylish dining facilities and exclusive catering options are a hit with soon-to-be-married couples. Considered to be among Canada's best restaurants, this venue is ideal for small to mid size weddings.
Facilities and capacity
Its facilities include private rooms or you can rent out the entire restaurant which has a total capacity for up to 250 guests reception-style. The private rooms are:
- West: With a maximum capacity for 24 seated and 40 guests reception-style
- East: With a maximum capacity for 40 seated and 60 guests reception-style
- East + West: The two rooms can be combined for a capacity of 64 seated and 100 guests reception-style.
The services offered include the following:
- Bar service
- Full service planning studio
Canoe's cuisine options feature seasonal, expertly-crafted dishes that can be served in plated and reception-style menus. It offers creative canapés, raw bar, a Taste of Canada selection, platters, late night offerings, package add ons and much more.
Canoe also offers other services for:
- Breakfast meetings
- Corporate events
- Product launches
- Exclusive dinners
- Intimate celebrations
What is the minimum number of guests required to book your venue?
How many event spaces or rooms does your venue offer?
Describe your venue:
Describe the style of your venue:
What kind of settings are available?
Which of the following wedding events does your venue service?
What event services do you offer?
What catering services do you offer?
What event items are available?
What food and beverage items are available?
What transportation and access is available?
Do you have a site fee for wedding receptions at your venue?
What is the starting site fee for wedding receptions during peak season?
What is the starting site fee for wedding receptions during off-peak season?
Do you have a site fee for wedding ceremonies at your venue?
Which of the following are included in starting site fee?
What is the average catering price per person for plated service?
What is the average catering price per person for stations?
What is the average catering price per person for hors d'oeurves?
Which of the following are included in the cost of wedding catering?
Any other questions?
ReviewsWrite a review
26 User photos
A perfect downtown dinner party wedding
Although there were some bumps in the road with multiple event coordinators (which makes sense over the year and a half plus we were working with them), the food was amazing, the ambience and service were spectacular, and everyone working at Canoe went above and beyond to open the doors for us as I walked down the aisle, to have sparkling wine ready after we tied the knot, and to package up and cut our family desserts in the evening.
Thank you for bringing our downtown dinner party vision to life!
Photos by @KodyNgPhotography
The food was impeccable and just amazing. Not one dish was a disappointment and we loved creating the perfect menu for our guests, even being able to cater to those who had a gluten intolerance and any allergies. There was a great selection of drinks and the service was great, everyone was very much well catered for from wine to great cocktails.
All the servers made each of our guests comfortable. We had our own server and he was incredible. He even ensured when we got up to speak to guests that our food was kept warm for us. He was actually the first to greet us upon arrival, he immediately got us water and prepared a vase with water for my bouquet.
Although the overall day was great, we did have few things go wrong on the day which were caused by the building not allowing access to the loading dock and we feel management could have assisted and dealt with this a lot better. We feel things would have ran much smoother if we had an earlier access to the space or somewhere to store some of our items prior to the time we were allotted. After our wedding, we did contact Canoe to discuss the issues and concerns which we feel they dealt with it well by taking the time with us to discuss matters even after we returned back to the UK. They were apologetic, understanding and ensured we would return happy in future.
Unacceptable Event Planning Services but Great Canoe Dining Experience
That being said, the event and planning services we received leading up to our wedding from Oliver & Bonacini (O&B), the parent company of Canoe, was unfortunately disappointing, especially given the costs associated with the venue.
We were provided with an event coordinator from O&B and there were a slate of frustrations working with the representative, accompanied with an overall lacking attitude. Below are some of the examples:
1) Differences in information provided between various Canoe and O&B Event Planning Staff: There were multiple instances where the list of what we could/could not do for our reception changed without notice between the time we had signed the Canoe contract (in January 2021) and the month before our wedding (in May 2022). For example, initially in January 2021, we were told that we could have real candles as part of our decor and that we could access Canoe speakers via a phone plug. In May 2022, after we had finalized our flowers and decor, we were told only after the fact that candles were not allowed and that we could not access Canoe's speakers and would have to rent additional speakers to play music. All of this led to last minute changes and additional charges a month prior to the reception to accommodate these changes. With all these differences in information, we had even asked the O&B representative if we could speak to someone at Canoe directly so that we could clarify some information but she refused to provide us Canoe contact information.
2) Being charged an additional $ amount for something outside our contract: The representative stated in an email that we had to pay an additional $1500 that was not stated in the contract we signed in January 2021. After questioning this additional charge, she and Canoe realized that our contract in January 2021 was different and did not include this charge and thus removed the charge. All this being said, we believe it was unprofessional for her and the company to not review our specific contract prior to requesting an additional charge of this magnitude, and who knows if other people in a similar situation may have been unfairly charged if they did not take the time to re-read their entire contract as well as the lengthy invoice provided.
3) Inflexibility with Seating Arrangements/Floor Plan: Due to the fact that we would have max guest capacity, we understood that seating arrangements could be a challenge given the nature of the Canoe layout. That being said, the whole process to finalize the floor plan with the representative was extremely frustrating and inflexible. For example, she sent multiple "outdated" floor plan templates to us and we were not told they were outdated until we submitted seating charts based on such plans. Due to them being outdated, we had to redo the seating arrangements multiple times. Secondly, because we had multiple "outdated" Canoe floor plans, we had seen multiple variations of what floor plans Canoe could do and have done in the past. We had then asked if we could modify the "latest" floor plan to conform to some of the old floor plans and find a compromise to accommodate our guests but she refused to provide any flexibility in this regard, even after a 2-hour call to try and find a solution. Meanwhile, the staff at Canoe was extremely accommodating and much more flexible.
4) Inefficient Meetings and Repetitive Information Requests already provided: When we had our first initial meeting with the representative, she asked questions that our wedding planner had already provided and/or would have been more efficient to ask via email. This was a pain point given the fact that it was difficult for us to find time to meet with her due to her limited availability during working hours and inability to schedule calls outside of a standard work day’s 9-5.
5) Unaccommodating to our menu change: After our tasting at Canoe, we were told to provide any feedback and requests to the representative. One of our requests was to have the sauce on the side of the plate for one of the dishes rather than having it right below the main protein. This is because we knew that many of our older guests would prefer the sauce on the side given its strong flavor. When we asked the representative to make this request, she replied that the Canoe team said they cannot accommodate for "all sauce/puree [to be] on the side...If the two of you would like it on the side, or if guests ask the night of we can accommodate it, however the team does not have the capacity to provide this as an in advanced request". Although we understand that the logistics may not be as simple as it sounds, we were not happy with the outcome of our simple request. Meanwhile, the kitchen staff happily addressed this on the day of, and we really wish that it didn’t seem like we were making a last minute request.
Beautiful venue, delicious food
We started our planning process about a year and a half before the wedding day and we chose our venue pretty early on.
Sometimes communicating with the events coordinator is a bit slow (email responses could take a few days) but she always responds and answers all questions. Coming up to the actual wedding day however our coordinator was super accessible and responsive and helped us out with a number of last minute changes, which we really appreciated.
Artie, our day of coordinator was amazing, she was super helpful and was there making sure everything went super smoothly!
On the day of the wedding the skies were clear and the view was spectacular! The food was delicious and honestly it was simply perfect. Everything went exactly as planned, couldn't have asked for a better experience!
Be careful if you happen to get married on a foggy Day though, we went for a viewing once and it was so foggy every window was just pure fog, saw nothing but white haha so you may risk not getting the beautiful view you hope for!
But overall, loved our venue, I can't imagine our wedding anywhere else!
One thing to keep in mind is that the max capacity is 135, but if you want to keep the upper level clear for the dance floor you'd want to be well below the max capacity. we had a total of 80 people, and that fit perfectly - full capacity of the lower level and the elevated area was completely free for dancing - if you have more than 80 people you may have to have a few tables on the dance floor and then clear those tables when the dancing starts which would be a bit more annoying
Luckily the coordinator did not reflect the actual restaurant. The service the staff provided on the day of the wedding was amazing. Didn't have to worry about a thing with the attentiveness that was provided by the staff. They went above and beyond what we asked or needed. The food was amazing and any allergies that my wedding party had was taken care of with the more care. There is not enjoy kind words that I could say to explain the wonderful experience we had.
Are you interested?
Canoe Real Weddings
Would you like to visit?