Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chelsea
Master August 2017 Ontario

Wedding vows

Chelsea, on November 7, 2016 at 11:23 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 9

Okay ladies, I am curiouss to see who will be writing their own vows or using traditional vows and why you chose that?

For myself I like the thought of writing my own vows because it is unique and maybe not as boring as traditional vows but I also am not one for public speaking especially when trying to describe my feelings - especially deep feelings. So I think we will be using traditional vows!

Writing your own vows

Writing your own vows

Traditional vows

Traditional vows

9 Comments

Latest activity by Shannon, on December 10, 2016 at 01:35
  • Shannon
    Devoted June 2020 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I basically wrote my whole ceremony includong vows as it is a blending of a traditional ceremony and a wiccan wedding/handfasting.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Love this!
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm basically writing/putting together our whole ceremony, including the vows, from bits and pieces from other people, pinterest and the samples our officiant gave us. I found the best simple vows off pinterest which I'm sure everyone has seen before but I love it so we're going to use it for part of our ceremony.

pinterest vows

pinterest vows

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be writing our own vows, I want our day to be totally unique to us and the promises and vows should be the same ! I am excited to speak those words to him on our special day! to me it means so much more knowing they are comming right from him from his heart... and he came up with them all on his own lol

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you Chelsea. I like think either traditional or written vows are very nice for weddings. I feel that having both as you mentioned and I agree has more of a personal touch. Smiley smile
  • Chelsea
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is cute and funny that she said that after her husband said his vows! Thanks for the advice if I choose to write my own vows - I will definitely keep this in mind!

• Chelsea
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like that you are thinking of using both! That way you stay traditional but also you can add in a twist to make it more meaningful to you!

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are writing our own vows. (I need to finish editing them before Sat...) Some tips if you want to write your own: start making notes of things you love about your fiance so it will make them easier to write once you sit down to write them. Start early so you have lots of time! You don't have to share your vows with your fiance but you should both agree on a general length so you don't have one person that writes a novel and one that writes 3 sentences. Our officiant was also very helpful and actually gave us a step by step guide on how to write them which was great!

My mom actually went a wedding a couple months ago for her friends and they wrote their own vows. The husband's was super moving and emotional and then they got to the bride's and she said something along the lines of "I didn't have time to write my vows because I was planning all of this. He knows how much I love him and planning this wedding was my way of showing him." Haha good for her! My mom said it was perfect for them. I keep teasing my fiance that I'm going to do that too but I'll be writing something. Smiley winking

Chelsea, another option if you don't want to say your vows in front of everyone is that you can just read them to each other without using a microphone so it's more private. The officiant can make an announcement that you both wish to keep your vows between each other.

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am considering to write my own vows with also using traditional vows for our ceremony.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics