Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sheri-Lyn
Frequent user May 2022 Ontario

Wedding Dress Shopping

Sheri-Lyn, on July 2, 2019 at 12:08 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 20

So in a couple of weeks I am going dress shopping, I am excited but also nervous!! Anyone have any tips they wish they had known for this big day?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Sheri-Lyn, on August 7, 2019 at 12:12
  • Sheri-Lyn
    Sheri-Lyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, I absolutely love it!

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh! I love this dress on you! Absolutely fabulous!

• Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So true! This was me also. The first appointment was loads of fun and all excitement, but after that it became draining and exhausting. I became really discouraged with not finding what I was looking for, and anxiety and pressure was building (even though that was just from me). My team pushed me to go to one last appointment they squeezed in. I didn't want to at that point, but I'm so glad I did because they had exactly what I was looking for!

• Sheri-Lyn
    Sheri-Lyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you everyone for all the help and tips, I went shopping this past Saturday and I found my dress!! 😍❤❤

Wedding Dress Shopping 1
  • Brittany
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don’t get discouraged! I had the experience so built up in my head I think and it wasn’t what I expected. It’s a lot of work!!! Physically and mentally exhausting. I went to around 4 shops and was ready to take a break until the fall to clear my head. I ended up finding the one at the last appointment I was going to make Smiley smile so yes! Just keep a positive attitude and be prepared that it might not be exactly as you expected. I wish someone would’ve told me that lol. Don’t be afraid to step away and take a break if need be. Good luck!!
  • Sheri-Lyn
    Sheri-Lyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for all the comments and tips, they are all very helpful. Shopping day is coming up so fast and I know after that everything else will too!!

• Sheri-Lyn
    Sheri-Lyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, I know I am really going to have to remember these for that day!! And you are right if the one I love is a bit over budget it will be worth it if I love to apposed to liking my dress!

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Remember that its your day. If you love it and feel beautiful then thats what matters. Dont let the people around you buy something you arnt obsessed with. Its ok to try on things you normally wouldnt try because you might be surprised. But its your day,your dress,and your opinion is the one that matters most

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Be honest with your salesperson. Take what your people say with a grain of salt - ultimately it is up to you. When you think you have found the one, walk around in it... sit down for a few minutes. you will be wearing it for a long time so you want to be comfortable.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go with your gut, don't try to please anyone else, don't bring a lot of people, be authentic to yourself. It's so easy to get wrapped up in what others think looks good on you, when you should really be focused on is what makes you happy. Also, in the big scheme of things, if the different between a dress you like and love is, say, $500, just go with the one you love. If it makes you happy, that's the important part Smiley smile

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everything everyone else has said is excellent advice and remember - it's your dress and you're the one wearing it so your opinion is the one that really counts! I just went on the weekend and was stuck between two dresses; my entourage really loved one and I was in love with the other. But I went again by myself today (which I highly recommend) and was able to decide to go with the one that felt more 'me' without the other opinions clouding my judgement.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    - the dress that is “the one” for you may not make you cry even if you thought you would. I am a very emotional person and I was sure I’d cry, but I didn’t. I have no doubt in my mind though that the dress I picked is perfect for me. So don’t not choose a dress just because you didn’t cry.
    -dress shopping is a delicate balance of being open to new things and also standing your ground. Be open to trying on different things because you never know what you may like. You may not agree with your entourage or consultant though. If you love or hate a dress speak up about it regardless of what others think. Don’t be afraid to put your foot down and steer the appointment in a different direction if you don’t like the way it’s going. I had a poor experience with my consultant and had I not stood my ground and guided the appointment towards where I wanted it to go I likely would not have found my dress.
    - the dress that is “the one” may be the first one you ever try on. That was the case for me and surprisingly a number of people have told me that they picked the first dress they tried on.
    - what really helped me when I was going back and forth a bit about choosing my dress was asking myself “would I change anything about this dress if I could and what would it be?” When my answer was nothing I knew I had my dress. If you have something you’d change then you weigh how important that change is and that can guide you to trying on other dresses with that feature you want, modifying the dress, or realizing that that missing feature really isn’t that important to you.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was SO NERVOUS for dress shopping, and that never went away. Everyone told me to be excited and enjoy it, and although i did enjoy it and i did find my dress, i was nervous and anxious the whole time. i typically have no issues being the centre of attention, but i found it so overwhelming to have all eyes on me trying on all these beautiful gowns! i agree with everything the previous posts have said, but also remember to take a breath, and stay calm! you’ll know when you’ve found the dress!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your getting good advise from the brides who have gone through the same as you are.

1 tip to maybe add (not sure if it will help) is to take a picture of what you may like of the dress so the consultant can get an idea of what your looking for style and bling wise.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

BE OPEN!!! The biggest thing that helped me. Dresses look very different on than they do in a magazine or on a model! Try on many different styles and fabrics, you never know what your body will look in it!

Keep a small group, and although opinions matter, just remember how you feel in the dress, and the look you are going for!

Watching Say Yes To The Dress, there is that big "jack her up" moment to complete the look. For me, the woman at the store had me walk down a hallway towards a mirror (not all shops will have this room) and picture myself walking down the isle to my FH. This moment right here had me in tears, way before she put veils and stuff on me! It really gives you a chance to walk in the dress, see how it moves, and picture yourself in the moment!

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely everything everyone else has already said.

-If you want to wear your hair up, do a nice updo on yourself. If you want it down, wear it down.
    -wear something you can easily change out of.
    -keep your group super small. I only had my FH at my first try on and my step mom with my other ones. The less people the better.
    -Definitely walk around in the dress. Don’t just stand there and stare in the mirror haha. Cause that is not realistic for your big day!

Good luck and happy shopping!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

- Try on all types of styles

- Make sure you can sit/dance in it

- Wear undergarments you plan on wearing the day of (basically don't wear bright underwear that will show through the dress if it's shear/illusion or you wouldn't want others seeing)

- Bring shape wear if you plan on wearing it (but you might be more comfortable not wearing it)

- Try and keep the entourage to a minimum

- Don't try on dresses that are out of your budget!

- Bring a fan and wear antiperspirant!!! It gets hot trying on so many dresses and the lights in the store get hot!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All of what Kelsie said, adding to be open: Try on styles you think you aren't into - you may end up saying yes to something you didn't think you'd wear!

Once you put a deposit/pay for the one, stop looking! It's okay to look around after thinking about saying yes (but didn't say yes/put money on it) to compare, but once money is involved, stop looking or you risk Dress FOMO (Fear of missing out).

Since we have to dress shop early, new designs will come out in the spring/fall and it will be tempting to try new styles on after purchasing a dress - DON'T!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

- Figure out your budget in advance and stick to it : Nothing sucks more than trying and loving a dress that's way out of budget!!!

- Keep your party small : I agree with Kelsie here! Your mom, MOH and maybe FMIL is enough of a group.

- Keep an Open Mind : Kelsie got it right here too!!! Your consultant might want you to try a few more styles that weren't on your list and that's okay! Trying on a different style might surprise you.

- You don't have to pick the dress THAT day : Go home, sleep on it, look back on pictures... when you're ready, make another appointment and go back by yourself to try them on again.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely my biggest tip is be open! You may not end up liking what you picture in your head.

i also recommend going to other places once you think you’ve found the one. It helps solidify your choice, or you might find something better.

if possible, keep your viewing party small. A lot of opinions can really sour the experience.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics