Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rydel
Beginner July 2020 Ontario

Wedding Dress

Rydel, on November 3, 2019 at 20:42 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 22

Wedding Dress 1

I'm having such a hard time finding a wedding dress. Had anyone else gone through this?
I think of things I like, have done all the quizzes and tried the online designer.I also hate clothes shopping haha.. one of my friends is trying to convince me to just got and try things on then maybe I would have a better idea.The attached photo is closest to something I might actually tolerate wearing..
For a little bit of background:- the wedding is going to be during the summer and outdoors - our theme / colours is gonna be sunset - my fiancé and I are both big into aviation and pilots - we both love to travel and hike and camp- I hate dress shopping... and shoe shopping... and really shopping for anything that I dont have a purpose for (I like grocery shopping or buying new workout clothes 😅)- we're both quite active and this last year have been doing kickboxing
I'd love any sort of advice!

22 Comments

Latest activity by Katelyn, on November 11, 2019 at 15:56
  • Katelyn
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think your friend is right. It would be best to just try on all kinds of different dresses to figure out what you like. Who knows, maybe you’ll find something totally different than what you think you’ll like and fall in love with it! Just make sure to give yourself enough time to find a dress. I bought mine just over a year out from my wedding date, and still love it.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I knew exactly what I liked and didn’t like based on what I saw online. When I went to try dresses on I had like 30 in mind. The sales associate could read me well and knew what I was into. I fell in love with the second dress I tried! And it was a style I knew I liked but didn’t think it’d be “the one”.
    Moral of the story: you have to try them on!
  • Rydel
    Rydel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This seems to be the theme haha no one really knows what they want...
    Thanks!
  • Jonie
    Newbie October 2020 Alberta
    Jonie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your friend is right! I thought I had an image of a dress I wanted or liked and ended up getting something completely different.. good luck!
  • Rydel
    Rydel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The first part of this really sounds like me haha.. and I kind of wish my mom was in the same province to help me here.
    I might have to suck it up and go 🙄
  • T
    Beginner October 2020 Alberta
    Tasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would recommend just embracing it and go try some dresses on. As someone who also hates shopping, especially dress shopping, I struggled to imagine what kind of dress I could possibly wear and worried I would hate the dress shopping experience. I discovered it’s actually really really fun. I went with just my mom and we had a great time. It’s like no other shopping experience I’ve ever had. I just stood there while my mom and a bridal consultant brought me things. I had no clear vision of what I wanted so being open to trying anything led me to a dress I wouldn’t have chosen for myself in a million years. It could end up being a really great time. Good luck!
  • Rydel
    Rydel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ooh exciting!! And makes sense! Thanks for sharing!
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would go for something very light and simple and dress it up with the accessories. Im getting my dress of amazon to save some money. If you do that you gotta read the reviews (i start with the lowest ratings to see why they gave it). Just look at images and see what kind of sparks your interest and then go in with those pictures. You will try on alot less dresses if you walk in prepared even slightly.

• Chrissy
    Beginner September 2021 British Columbia
    Chrissy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with her, I thought I wanted all these things and I ended up just going and trying some on and I found that I actually look horrible in the dresses I thought I’d love, and look awesome in the style I thought I hated! Doesn’t hurt to go try on some different shapes to see how your body looks in them
  • Rydel
    Rydel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm seriously debating doing that haha. I bought my high school grad dress online and it was fine haha
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I bought my wedding dress online lol

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was another factor for me too, being able to wear it again. I was thinking I would dye it professionally after the wedding so I can have more opportunities to wear it.

I wouldn't do it differently. The whole dress shopping experience was never something I'd envisioned doing and fawning over the dresses. It's just not me. My grandmother is like my mom, and was the first person I showed it to and tried it on for her when it came in the mail, so it's kind of like she got to experience that part of the wedding since she never got to with my mom. I did it my way and couldn't be happier
  • Rydel
    Rydel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Okay awesome good to know!! Thanks!!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Make a few apts at bridal stores and show them this dress. also you could email bridal stores on weddingwire and show them this picture and they can send you styles that they have close to it then you could make an apt!

• Rydel
    Rydel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you all, this does help! I might have to bite the bullet and go to a store to see what I find with like maybe 2 friends so that I don't end up cancelling the appointment haha..
    It's just so different from anything else I've done.
  • Rydel
    Rydel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Neat! I thought about that and wondering what is something that I might be able to wear again haha.
    If you had to do it over again would you do anything different?
  • Amanda
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go in person and start trying on different styles. Try to keep an open mind.

My wedding dress was nothing like what was on my pinterest boards, but it was the one the moment the dress was on.

Remember to have fun and enjoy it! You are the bride! Smiley smile

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely go in person! Wedding dress attendants can look at you and know what will flatter your shape and fit within what you're looking for.

And try ones that are on your "never" list, the shape might be better than you thought!
    And as far as shoe shopping, wear something you already like. If you love your hiking boots wear them under your dress (hardly anyone will see them).
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely recommend going in person and trying dresses in rather than looking online. I had a picture in my head of the dress I wanted and ended up choosing a different dress!

You can definitely show the consultant the picture you like but be open to different styles they show you as you never know what you might like.
  • K
    Beginner July 2022 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Why not find something you can use more than the once? It doesn't have to be the typical traditional wedding dress so maybe it'll help you find something if you could use it as every day wear afterwards. Doesn't even have to be a dress if you don't like them. Anything can be dressed up wedding style with the right floral accessories and jewelry! It's your day, nevermind what others have done!
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can't even begin to tell you how much I relate to you! 😅 I never even set foot in a bridal dress shop and instead found my dream dress online and it's just a simple white maxi dress that's perfect for my summer back yard wedding. So don't worry about what other people are telling you and just do your thing and you'll end up finding the perfect one for you. Personally, I'm too easily swayed by other's opinions so I didn't want to do the whole dress shop outing thing with friends and family, so I'm glad I did it my way. Just do you!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with your friend go try something on. You may actually enjoy yourself. Think of your purpose of as having something to wear on your wedding day lol. Good luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics