Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chera
Newbie September 2019 Alberta

Planning a wedding in autumn without flowers; has anyone done this/seen it?

Chera, on August 27, 2019 at 03:00 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
We recently found out the florist we'd been planning on using went out of business (which is very unfortunate since we were going to get a friend-of-a-friend discount). After speaking with different florists and researching bulk-ordering DIY arrangements, and looking at paper/fabric flowers in-store, I'm considering a flowerless wedding (due to budgeting) and also because our wedding is September 30th of this year (2019); which doesn't leave us a lot of time (or any-time) to order anything from online shops (ie: Etsy - they have some beautiful wood flower arrangements, but most shops need more time to curate the "look" we were going for).

Anyway, my question is: has anyone done a flowerless wedding or seen one done first-hand? How did the end-result turn out? What was used instead? Pictures and/or ideas?

As a side note; our wedding is fairly small (40 people) and we'd prefer to spend less on the decor/centrepieces aspect of the wedding (as we've set bigger budgets [and already spent money] for other things). I originally wanted a dark/moody autumn theme - but I'm finding that difficult to imagine without the floral arrangements I'd had in mind. So, still somewhat dark/moody...but with a more simple, classic/vintage, Downton Abby vibe?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 11, 2019 at 16:36
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im not having any flowers! i just did a more with my decor and my centerpieces are all candle based with jewels

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you aren't doing flowers I'd suggest candles. You can dress them up with ribbon to bring in more colour, add some sparkle with those crystals... so many things you could use. The lanterns are pretty. Those big feathers can bring in colour. All depends on what your theme/colours.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Other than flowers, lanterns can look nice with string lights and rocks/pebbles and single rose. Simple and elegant with some light will give that effect of glamour to your guests tables.

Our décor was simple and no flowers except an artificial floral ball on a square vase.

Planning a wedding in autumn without flowers; has anyone done this/seen it? 1

• S
    Newbie November 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing candles. I find they are really nice and inexpensive as centerpieces.

• Sarah
    Beginner May 2020 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can get really cheap flowers from costco and they are beautiful

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really wanted to do peacock feather fans instead of flowers, but my mom insisted (and is paying) on real flowers.

Some people have suggested lanterns - you could see if you can find ones where you can add a fake flame tealight. Also browse around your local Michaels/craft store - Michaels has some fake florals and is getting into the halloween decor, which could add to your dark/moody theme!

• Melanie
    Curious August 2019 Alberta
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Budget Bride is a great sight to get your arrangements from. They can be here in 30 days. Also Michaels or any store with artificial flowers can be a great option. I got most of my flowers from there and the dollar store. Michaels probably has a sale on flowers for the end of season. Might have to get a little creative.
  • Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have seen people do lanterns which was super cute. You can get some pretty nice black lanterns from a lot of discount stores. The party would probably find it nice to have something to do with their hands. You could always just use single flowers. Buy some fake ones and spray paint them to match your theme.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think flowers are totally optional and if you dont want them, dont have them.

The one thing you may want to consider is if you want to carry something instead of the bouquet. I know when I am nervous I suddenly don't know what to do with my hands. Holding a bouquet will give me something to do so I'm not stressing and fidgeting.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For my fall wedding the only florals we have are for the bouquets!

For centrepieces we went to the dollar store actually and got some glittery leaves and some pumpkins that we will spray paint our accent colour of copper and write the table number on them. We have rectangular tables so the leaves and a white runner will go down the middle. Simple and on theme!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not doing flowers at all- we are literally just doing candle in a small mason jar floating in water with a small latern and the table number. I am getting married few weeks prior to yours. I did it due to allergy reasons. I really wanted babies breath.

I don't know what to suggest for your type of theme however, do you have the vintage candle holders ? could you do different styles of those as center pieces

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics