Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becky
VIP September 2019 Ontario

Catering Taste Test

Becky, on February 12, 2019 at 11:14 Posted in Before the wedding 0 10

On weekend I had my catering taste test! I was pretty happy with the food and how went. Near the end though it had me worried. The owner gave me a quote over email last year around October. I assumed this was valid unless stated otherwise in the email, which it wasn't. We went in for the taste testing, she had it all prepared. She did mention she is selling her restaurant and wanted to focus on catering more, then it went from that to mine is only wedding she will be doing as she wants to get away from it. Then after she wrote everything we had down- even though had this in email, she told me she would need to get back to me with final numbers? When I emailed next day, I asked if she had the numbers and this was when she mentioned she had to get in contact with her food suppliers to see their pricing. This is something I would have assumed she would have done prior and let me know during taste test if any increases. I am not very happy about it and I told another company who is intersted I would get back to them after this taste testing. Now I am on delay and don't know how long I will be waiting.

What is your advice on how I should handle this?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on February 25, 2019 at 09:12
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would do a tasting with the other vendor regardless.. it's nice to have options. You may end up liking their food better anyways.

I do agree with your concerns though.. I don't understand how prices can fluctuate that much. I signed a contract once I booked my venue and the price was per person and we got to pick several options of food our guests can choose from... Neither the time of our wedding or the food options we picked changed that price.

The changes she is making in her business are probably why that is happening and I would also feel a little nervous about that.

• Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At our Country Club and with the Florist, we signed contracts. The Country Club was signed in April. We were made aware that prices of wine may go up and drink prices. Both went up. The venue rental & per person price stayed the same. With Flowers all boutiners which were $10.99 are now $12.99 each and we need 9 of them. Our vendors were very clear with us and said they had no control over this. I definitely think you should have been made aware... You just reminded me of our biggest price jump! We booked our Makeup Artist in June and I signed my 1st contract. (our Parents signed Country Club contract) I agreed on contract that there were a minimum of 7 of us needing makeup but no price was on contract as I sure we'd be adding Girls and she does 1 total not 7 Girls x's price if that makes sense... I did have her quote for me and per Girl in my Bridal planner. I contacted makeup artist in October to let her know that we now have 9 of us. I knew if we went over 8 Girls there was a $120 fee to bring in 2nd artist. I let my Girls know I'd pay that fee. What I certainly did not expect was that her prices had jumped from $60 + $5 for lashes. She now wanted $90 + $5 for lashes per Girl. My price as the bride went from $120 to $150! Gratuity not included. I pulled out my quote asap & am very lucky she came close to matching original prices. The Girls are $65 + $5 for lashes. I went to my trial and took $75 with me which included a $10 tip. Imagine my shock when she told me I owed her $100.00... I said I'm sorry but that is definitely not the price you quoted me in the Fall. She looked up quote & realized I was right at $65. Her trial price for Brides is now $100.00... I'd shared a link to her page with prices in the Fall to my Wedding Party. I know at least half the Girls would have backed out if she had not have honoured my original quote.
  • Andrea
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe she wanted to confirm the prices afterwards in case you changed your mind on the food. She likely had the estimate from her vendors from October and wanted to ensure that their numbers hadn't changed either.

Definitely get it in a contract.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's understandable; I would've expected her to look into it beforehand too.

Awesome! I'm so glad that was sorted out and hope she gives you a contract as per your request.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just would have thought she would have looked into it prior to the taste testing as I booked it a month in advance and she new what she was serving. She did get back to me and confirmed pricing. It was the same as before. Gave price breakdown and then how much expected for deposit. I stated if I was to move forward that I wanted a contract, and if she were to for some reason not be able to that I was to receive a full refund as well.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would go ahead and book other tastings. While I understand that food prices increase every year, that should have been mentioned by her in writing prior to your tasting. Also if she knew that her plans would change (as in the fact that she's selling her restaurant, etc.) she should have informed you it would be a possibility. I don't like her lack of transparency and feel she isn't reliable from merely reading your discussion.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't have a contract, a lot of people around here won't do contracts and I find it shocking. The taste test for me was just to confirm that good food and was prepared to give the deposit. Was really caught of guard with it. So hopefully a response soon.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would be on the verge of being pissed off it I were you. I had some venues I contacted claim that they wouldn't know the price per head because food costs could rise and whatnot and that just never sat well with me since I like to know my bottom line. Did you have a contract with this caterer? If so, she needs to honour it, if not then you need to be clear with her that your wedding is coming up and you need to know the cost of the food, in case it's too much for you.

I'm really sorry you're in a difficult situation like this.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yea there is another person who is little less but wants to book. Some people in this area don't always do taste tests though. Going to see if the second person had picked can and go from there.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, usually they let you know that they may have different pricing as it tends to change year-to-year... but if it's not stated or they don't give a heads up? That's straight up weird.

I would go ahead and to the other tasting no matter what though! What if you like their food more??? Besides, when you do get the pricing back from the first catering company, if it's more than quoted previously I would attach the email and ask why this is and if there would be any chance of them sticking to what you were told from the beginning? The worst they can say is no right?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics