Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Niki
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

Postponing again?

Niki, on September 15, 2020 at 17:22 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

Has anyone postponed their wedding twice? In June of 2020 my Fiance and I postponed our wedding that was going to take place in November, 2020. We postponed 6 months before our original date knowing that we wouldn't have the wedding that we wanted due to the pandemic. Now we are 6 months away from our new date again, in the end of March, 2021 and Covid numbers are starting to go up again. Has anyone postponed twice or has anyone successfully requested or received any of their deposits back?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Niki, on September 21, 2020 at 20:51
  • Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For sure it is soo stressful, just making sure that all vendors are available on the same date ...3 times over is just exhausting! We are in the same boat, we cant risk losing our deposits, especially with our venue as we put a good chunk of money down to secure it. Its good that you postposed all the way into August though, I feel like we should have just gone with June in the beginning but its soo hard to know what to do in such unknown circumstances

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw I hope all is well in May! I think you may be okay considering the season, ugh its just so hard to know with how unknown everything is! and its good that you wont fully lose everything if you can still book a room with them. Keeping fingers crossed for us all in this craziness!

• Niki
    Niki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I haven't asked yet, I feel like I would try to if next year didn't work out - but our consultant with our venue told us straight up that vendors are staying alive because of the deposits and that is a huge reason why they won't refund them. If your 100% on cancelling with your venue/vendors I would just say you need to cancel and because you're not receiving any services on their part that you are requesting to receive your money back..doesn't hurt to try.

• Rachel
    Beginner October 2020 British Columbia
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How do you guys go about asking for your deposit or a portion of it back? it feels weird to me and I've been drafting up something for like a week, I just dont know how to ask?

• Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi!
    We also postponed from June 2020 to October 2020 and now again to August 2021.
    While the vendors were pretty good, the venue was not too willing to honour their refund policy, even though it stated quite clearly that we could receive it due to force majeure. This is why we pushed it back again- since the first time we postponed we were just waiting our final payments...it’s been stressful to say the least- but we just weren’t in a position to lose all the money. Since postponing again I had to secure a few new vendors- and their Covid contracts are pretty specific as to the deposit being non refundable if the date is cancelled but they can adjust the date for service ongoing. I’m sorry you’re going through this too💕

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Postponing multiple times isn't the greatest feeling though on the safe side, you do feel secure knowing Covid is not affecting time.

Venues are being careful to let you know the situation and making the best choice to waive the charge of changing the date. Its a nice thing to get updated and make alternative changes as needed. I hope this is the final change and no more postponement.

• Patricia
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We postponed twice. Originally from June 27 to February 6, 2021 and now the second time to September 18, 2021. We were not able to get our deposits back which is why we decided to push it a second time to fall/end of 2021.
  • Michelle
    Frequent user June 2023 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I’m so sorry to hear this. we also postponed our November wedding, to May 2021. I feel like that date won’t happen. The wedding is in Jamaica so if travel doesn’t become safe, we can’t proceed. The biggest thing for me is the deposits.....photographer, make up ect are all non refundable, and it’s clearly in my contracts, although everyone was easy to work with to move the date. My venue will give me 100% back if they cancel on me, and 50% if I cancel on them. But the thing that killed me was their response basically saying, yes we honour our refund policy, but unfortunately we are deferring any refunds. They have no money to refund. The loss of revenue for them was massive, so I’m sure I would get nothing back from them 😒 Luckily for me we can move the wedding deposit to a room at the resort, so it’s not a total loss if we cancel.

I have read a lot about people trying to get their money back. Most deposits are non refundable and it 100% comes down to the wording in the specific contract.

I truly hope you don’t have to postpone again, or cancel but no matter what, when that day comes, it will be perfect 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics