Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kristina
Curious September 2018 Ontario

Officiant problems

Kristina, on July 12, 2018 at 23:44 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 9

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure what to do, all I am hearing from family is how terrible our officiant is because of their experience at another wedding where he went off script and showed up late. We are from out of town so have only met him once but now i am worried that we made a terrible choice. Its just under 2months to the wedding and I don't know if we should try to find someone else or just stick it out, be very explicit and hope for the best. I am so tired of people just trashing the officiant because i don't know what else to do now. TIA

9 Comments

Latest activity by Meagan, on August 17, 2018 at 19:26
  • Meagan
    Frequent user October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely have a talk with him and express your concerns, if there's a legitimate problem, hopefully that'll give him the wake up call he needs to rock your ceremony!

• Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's always special circumstances, maybe he had a good reason to be tardy at the other wedding?

But all in all tardiness is a no go! Off the script? This isn't hollywood, it's meant to be traditional, unless you guys decide it to not be.

I would be upfront with him from the get go. Just tell him you guys are very specific about what you want to be said & also tell him the wedding starts 30 minutes before the actual time, so he wont be late, just in case.

Good luck xx

• Stephanie
    Curious August 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are worried about him being late just tell him you'd like to meet with him before the ceremony one last time 30 minutes early?

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Check out reviews if possible. If he is a bad officiant he will have a track record
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would speak with your officiant and make sure that you are all on the same page and that he know exactly what you do or do not want as part of your ceremony. I would then reassure your family that you have talked to him about things and that they need not have any concerns anymore.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Meet wIth him again to sit down and go over the plan for the day and do a pre rehearsal with just the 3 of you to make sure your all on the same page. Also, it really isn’t any of your families business who is doing GE ceremony so if they continue I would just say “thanks for the input but we are happy with who we chose and don’t need the extra criticism right now”.

It could be that those couples didn’t make sure they were on the same page as the officiant (what they want AND what they don’t). Most officiants will want to not just recite the script but add some personal touch for the couple so maybe that’s the part that was miscommunicated with the couples.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Reassure yourself by calling or emailing your officiant and check that they will be on time.

Other family members may have had that issue and hopefully cone through on yours. Hope for the best or look now of you can get another officiant in a month time.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    See if you can find other other people who have used your officiant. A local wedding Facebook group, for example. It could be this was just a one-off, it could be that happened earlier in their career and they have learned from it...just because they did it once does not mean they will do it again.
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would have another chat with your officiant. Ask that he stay on point. There’s always a chance this will happen but if you are straight up with him, he might get the hint. Might be tough finding another officiant so close to the wedding but if you are having doubts look into what’s available!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics