Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Newbie June 2021 Ontario

Your vision vs his vision?

Trish, on August 6, 2019 at 08:58 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 12
I've had an idea of what I'd want my dress to look like for a long time. Blush pink, A line, etc. Partner was watching say yes to the dress with me last night and he said he pictures me in a form fitting satin dress (so he can see my bum) and when I brought up pink he said he'd prefer white. I obviously want to make him happy, but at the same time still be in a dress I love. How many of you took your FH's vision into consideration when dress shopping?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on August 15, 2019 at 10:38
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Never considered it. My fiance has had very little opinion on basically anything I have done for the wedding. I have kept him in the loop for EVERYTHING, but he just doesn't really care. He has not seen my dress - I'm a bit of a traditionalist in that way - and I don't care what he thinks of it, to be honest. I love it and I think that's all that matters.

Pick a dress you love. Your fiance will marry you no matter what you wear (or he should, anyway!). When you are in a dress you love, you will glow and be even more beautiful. If you're in a dress you like, or are uncomfortable in, it will show.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never asked him. I think if I had I would have gotten a deer-in-the-headlights look.
    He has seen me in my dress and says I look like a princess (lol!) so I guess it met with his approval.
    Frankly, I think you should dress for yourself. Get something that suits you and that you feel comfortable in. Presumably that's what he really wants, you feeling beautiful and comfortable and showing off your own personality.
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've asked him and he said it's up to me. He's always liked my fashion choices/dresses for everyday so I think he trusts my preferences. It's hard to finalize a vision right now since I haven't started dress shopping, but my plan is to try what I like in a store and say yes to the one that I look best on
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To be honest I asked and he didn't really care.

For you though - I would say that he probably is picturing a PINK dress - which if I assume you are getting one that would be like a baby pink and super light - it looks a lot different.

Personally I say to go with white - but that's because looking down at pictures when you are both old and retired it's more likely that you wouldn't regret a white dress as that (so far) isn't going out of fashion.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husbands only vision was a white dress that wasn’t super “puffy” so it was easy to work with his vision. What I did take into consideration about his vision is that he was basing it off of what sort of dresses he has seen me in. He wanted me to be me and to be comfy in my dress so when I made him watch wedding shows, he always favoured ones that were simple, A line and airy.
    Im sure there is a compromise for you and your FH. Even if you have a blush tone to the under layer of your dress or have a removable skirt that goes over a more fitted dress to make it look A line (you could take off the top skirt during photos and it would be like having two dresses!). Talk to your dress consultant and see what they come up with.
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it couldnt hurt trying his vision to see how you feel. if you like it then you can add blush pink in the form of a sash around your waist. you could always have the tule and stuff under the dress be blush pink

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never asked my FH what he’d like to see me in. In my opinion, my dress is for me to love and for me to be comfortable with. If he doesn’t like
    it, I won’t be that worried.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had it in the back of my mind but didn’t let it control my decision. The only thing my FH was vocal about was lace.. he thought lace sheath gowns looked like doilies.. lol.. I still liked them and tried a couple on and didn’t end up liking them because they didn’t feel like wedding dresses to me. Ultimately you need to try the dresses on and see how you feel. It makes all the difference in the world
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH didn't really have a vision as to what my dress would look like, but I was a bridesmaid in June and the dress was a similar shape (A line, v neck) and he thought I was beautiful so I think he'll like what he sees!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When i asked my fiancé what he pictured me in, all he said was that he knew i was going to be beautiful in whatever i picked. I was so glad he didn’t put any pressure or “expectations”
    on my dress. i found dress shopping to be quite overwhelming, and i believe it would have been worse had i been thinking about his opinion the whole time. find something that YOU feel beautiful in!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I asked him what type of dress he could see me in after I bought my dress. While I was shopping I thought about what he likes me in, and tried to stick with it, but I needed to feel good as well. So take his thoughts into consideration, but make sure you feel amazing in it as well!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you tried on the type of dress your imagining vs his vision? I did take into consideration of what he would like on me vs not. I had went and tried on a lot of dreses and showed him ones new didn't like and we would talk about why and what he did or didn't like about them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics