Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Veronica
Super October 2021 Alberta

Writing Your Own Vows

Veronica, on February 12, 2020 at 15:27 Posted in Wedding ceremony 1 12

Hello WW Friends!

FH and I decided to take a stab at writing our own vows - although we are not going to keep them secret and quite probably going to work on them together because that is just what we do!

I am wondering for those who did write their own - what did you all include/say? If you feel up to sharing! Can we have a bit of fun with them? Or should it all be very serious.

The vows ARE super important to me, and I am adamant that I will not repeat anything unless I am 100% behind it (I always disliked "till death do us part") so we won't say anything ridiculous but also want to put some personality behind it.

Let me know below.

12 Comments

Latest activity by BettyBass, on September 1, 2020 at 15:48
  • Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, I appreciate the advice and sharing your little quirky funny things you will add! I for sure want a few of those in there.

• K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not completely finished mine yet- but I’m a bit more sappy... so mine are mostly serious, but I made sure in each little blurb to add something cute/funny (like I promise not to judge him while he sits in his gaming chair for 10 hours ignoring the world).... and FH Tells me he will be adding that he promises to get a second job to fund my Louis Vuitton habit 🙂 just go with it, and speak from the heart...crack a little joke if the mood strikes you... I’m sure whatever you choose will be perfect!!! ❤️
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would make notes when he does something that really makes you happy jot down how you feel. when youre with your family watch him interact with other and write down how you feel about it and i would go from there

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wrote our own vows, and we did share them once with each other beforehand to make sure they were of similar length and sentiment. I don't think sharing them before the wedding took away their meaning or impact, and it saved us any awkwardness of not having the same "vibe". I don't mind sharing ours. We had a non-religious ceremony that we scripted ourselves (with the help of our officiant).

Mine:

Danny, even before the day we met,

I knew you were the one for me.

The person I wanted to cross an ocean for.

And when we did meet, the world felt right.

It was as if we had always been together.

I could not remember a time before you.

You are my best friend; and today you become my husband.

From this day forward, I promise to try to bring as much
    laughter and happiness into your life as you have brought into mine.

I promise to support and encourage you,

trust and respect you,

as you have always supported and respected me.

I also promise to wash the dishes, occasionally,

and to fold the clean clothes in the hamper.

I promise to always make you smile when you’re feeling down,

and when you’re happy too.

But most of all, I promise to love you unconditionally,

for better or for worse,

for richer or for poorer,

in sickness and in health.

So, in the company of the most important people in our
    lives,

I promise to be your life's partner,

and to share every day with
    you for as long as we both shall live.

His:

Marissa,

Today, in front of our friends and family, I take you to be my lawful wedded wife.

In doing so, I promise to do my best to make our lives a true partnership.

When times are good, I’ll be there.

When times are bad, I’ll be there.

When you need me, I’ll be there.

10 years ago, when we first met, you were in your first year of university, while I was trying to find a direction in life. You were in Ottawa. I was in Clara. We were 3000 miles apart. Today, we’re right here with no ocean between us.

You’ve helped me grow as a person. You’ve believed in me. You’ve helped me focus and find a direction. My life is all the better because you are in it. As we move forward, I vow to make your life as happy, fulfilling, and meaningful as you have made mine.

I love you.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not ready to write mine yet, but I've stumbled on some inspiration on Pinterest that I've liked. I seem to like ones about giving yourself more than taking the other person that I've heard in older more traditional vows.

I agree with you, I won't say anything I don't 100% like or agree with.
    Writing Your Own Vows 1

• Cockerton
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Cockerton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our Officient has a template and the words are so astute and in fact I cried when I read them! We want to make the same vow to each other and that’s why we wanted to go with a template. I have been to some weddings and the couple wrote their own vows that sounded like they were lifted from a google search. However if you are collaborating together I am sure they will be meaningful to you both - which is the point!
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wrote our own vows and kept them secret before hand. We did check in with each other when we were finalizing them just to compare our word counts to ensure they were around the same length. We both started with mentioning how important the other one was to us and how much we love them. Then we went into making promises and vows. You can have some fun with it, definitely reflect your relationship and personality in them. Just be careful not to use so many inside jokes that your guests who are listening are left confused and out of the loop.

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I like that you both created a structure to follow - one of the reasons we decided not to keep it secret is because FH is worried his will be vastly different from mine and sound strange.

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh! We are the opposite - I have a way with words and FH is more action based.

I love your structure - that sounds exactly like what I want to do. Thanks!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We would have except my husband doesn't like to do public speaking.
    Make it come from your heart what makes her the person she is, how much she means to you now and for the future to come ahead. Crack a few good funny lines to break out laughter enlightening others.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am in no way as articulate as FH, he just has a way with words that I seriously envy, but despite that we're both going to write our own vows. I've written up a rough draft of the kinds of things I want to say, the basic structure of mine is: how I fell in love with him, what I love/admire about him, then some promises/vows some of which are funny in a cute way that means something to us, and some more meaningful or heartfelt. Then a quote that both of us understand and kind of sums up our relationship.

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're keeping ours secret, but we're both following a similar structure.
    1) Say something about our relationship, the time we've spent together, how we knew this was "it"
    2) Say some of the things we love most about the other person and our relationship 3) Make promises and vows.
    Mine are mostly serious but I sprinkled a few funny lines in there that I know he will love and that our guests will understand and appreciate. Honestly, vows come in all shapes and sizes. Just speak from the heart!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics