Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Would you care if your guests wore white?

Joey, on August 3, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 27

Many people feel strongly that it's not appropriate for wedding guests to wear white, because that color is reserved for brides. But others feel this rule is outdated, especially as more and more people venture away from the "traditional" all white gown for more colorful options.

Where do you stand? Would you care if your guests wore white? Married members, did any guests wear white to your wedding?

Would you care if your guests wore white? 1

27 Comments

Latest activity by Gina, on August 9, 2018 at 15:00
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Although I think wearing white to someone’s wedding is totally rude, I wouldn’t care if someone wore it to mine. After I seen Solanges wedding, where everyone was wearing white.... wow. It is single handedly my favourite celebrity wedding of all time now. Lol. But its a big difference being asked to wear white as opposed to just showing up in it.

Would you care if your guests wore white? 2
  • Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone else (i.e. off-white, silver, floral and patterns are okay), but I wouldn't wear white to a wedding.

Outdated or not, most know it's a controversial subject so, in my opinion, the person who decides to wear a completely white dress without getting an okay first knows full well they *might* create an unnecessary problem on someone's wedding day. Personally, that's the part I find offensive.

I went to a wedding once where this happened - the person loved the negative attention she received and bragged about it afterwards.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never really thought of this until a while ago when someone was talking about it to me! I would think a white dress with a floral pattern or something of those sorts is fine! Or even a short white dress maybe? I think a pattern helps that "rule" and I would be fine with it! My dress is very much a BRIDAL GOWN and will be the center of attention... if anyone for what ever reason tries to compete with it with a white dress GOOD LUCK!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as it has a pattern/doesn't look like a wedding gown, I think it's fine. Also, no guests wearing veils or looking like they are at a funeral as opposed to a wedding.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would not be okay if a guest wore a white dress to my wedding. On the flip side I would never wear a white dress to anyone's wedding. I don't think it's outdated, I feel as though it is a respect thing and white should be reserved for just the bride!

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the person knowing there is a negative connotation to wearing white to a wedding as a guest and doing it anyway (regardless if it is "outdated" or not) would bother me as it seems spiteful.

• A
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Angela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My friend and I talked about this while we were out shopping last week for her boyfriend's cousin's wedding that's coming up next month. She got told not to wear white, so it all depends on the person every bride is different. I wouldn't let little things like that get to me
  • C
    Curious June 2024 British Columbia
    Calla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would neverrrr wear white to a wedding unless the bride specifically told me to. I went to a wedding once where the sister of the groom wore a fitted, dressy, floor length white dress and everyone felt sorry for her and/or were angry at her for the whole day and have been ever since.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I would care if they wore a white ballgown or something but that's about it. If it was white with a pattern I would be OK. I think I will be fine as long as someone is not dressed fancier then me no matter the colour.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would be 100% unimpressed if someone wore white to my wedding. A floral dress with a white base is okay, but nothing that screams "white!".
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think I would care!

• Isabel
    Curious June 2019 Quebec
    Isabel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think I would care. If you let all those little things get to you, it’s not going to be an easy day to enjoy.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it’s white with loads of flowers or a pattern in the summer that wouldn’t bother me too much, but an all white dress would. I had a dress for a wedding that had a white base but the patterns of coloured lines on it covered the whole thing and you really couldn’t tell it was white. Something like that is fine.

But I’m having a winter wedding. So there’s no reason to wear white. It’s scarcely on shelves in stores too. I’ll be a little annoyed if someone shows up in white, though not as annoyed as if my fiancé’s cousin shows up in sweatpants and a flannel shirt like he did to his brother’s.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My mom is doing this too but she has a pink blazer that goes over top. This is her third outfit she’s picked for the wedding! so at this point I’m just happy she has something she likes but I don’t think I’d like it without the blazer 😅
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My MIL wore a floral white dress. It was more floral than white.

• Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I might not like it, but I don't think I would be too offensive if there's any of my guest wearing white. After all, everyone would know I am the bride that day and I am the one who is marrying my Fiance. I don't think that guest in white could steal my spot light at all and she would bear the consequences of other guests giving her disapproving look.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with most of the girls, if it's off-white, has a pattern on it, floral, whatever, and it's SUMMER TIME, it's vaguely acceptable.... but any other time of the year (when your excuse isn't to wear lighter colours in the baking sun), it's totally unacceptable.

My opinion is, unless you've decided to do a white party, or encourage guests to incorporate white, people should just know not to do it. Same opinion goes to provocative, revealing, or showy dresses. It's one day, you don't need to try and show up anyone, especially the bride.

If someone showed up in white, I'd just tell my photographer not to get them in any photos, and probably magically move them to the table at the back of the room.

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would not want anyone wearing white at my wedding! Out of all the weddings I've been to, only in one wedding did one girl show up in a white dress. However, everyone was criticizing her behind her back so I'm sure she learned better for the next time.

• Megs
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Megs ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do think it’s tacky to show up in an all white dress, but if it happens it’s not the end of the world. I’m not worried about being upstaged or people pulling focus from me. People are coming because of me. If it’s literally another girl in a wedding dress, well then I’d have an issue.

I love the look of an all white wedding party so my bridesmaids are wearing ivory dresses that are slender, chic and only go to the knee. It’s a completely different silouette than my dress and it looks so classic. And my mom is wearing a white tea length dress with black florals scattered out from the waistline. I love
    it ❤️
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I don't care that much, but I know others do. I am okay with people wearing a dress with a white/off white/cream base and bright floral print, for example - just please don't show up in a full white dress with no other colours!

Yes, the bride should be the standout in white - but having tried to shop for a summer dress for a wedding this last month and finding very few options that weren't a white base with bright, large flowers on it, I'm okay with people wearing those to my wedding next year too.

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel it's rude. Also any dress that is too showy or very similar to the bride.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Due to the whole respect part behind the wearing white rule I do think if a guest decided to wear white then it's just rude and disrespectful. Unless the bride says others can wear white then I think that guest just need to be respectful and pick something else.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally agree that you don’t wear white to a wedding. It’s one day where you don’t wear a certain colour, with all the colour choices it should be easy to find something in a different colour.
    however if the bride isn’t wearing white then it’s fine, but that’s something the bride has to tell people.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you can tastefully wear some white to a wedding especially in summer when lighter colours are more prominant. If you wanted to wear a nice skirt with a pattern or print or colour and white shirt with a cardigan or wrap I would not mind. There were a few people at my wedding who had outfits that featured white rather predominantly but I didn't care.

I have also been invited to a wedding where they specifically asked all the guests to wear cream or white and that included the bride and groom. It was very chic!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wearing white at a wedding when you are not the bride (unless you have been told that it's okay) is a total faux pas! I feel that it's the same thing for funerals - unless otherwise told; you wear black formal attire. Yet people don't seem to listen to that so....

I actually plan on having some big shirts at the wedding that I will DIY saying "I wore white. This is my T-shirt of shame." or something and I will even post it on my wedding website to show people just how serious I am about it. I don't even care if there is floral print on it - if it is mainly white; you gotta wear the shirt!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No one takes on the colour as the bride needs to be outstanding over everyone.

Though we had no one id red, our outfits had red as us grooms wore that colour. The wedding party had to wear what colours given by me and they were good with it. No guests wore colourful outfits otherwise.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel exactly as the meme posted lol I would definitely care if guests wear white, I think it’s rude - can’t you give the bride one day to feel special and pick a different colour?! Almost every wedding I’ve been to this year I’ve seen another woman wearing white and I thought it was inappropriate- even if it’s floral print in my opinion you shouldnt wear it, there are bridal gowns that have floral on them too. Just no!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics