Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shla
Devoted October 2021 Ontario

Would you buy a new dress? Hypothetical question

Shla, on July 24, 2019 at 14:19 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7
I have a hypothetical question for you all. A friend brought it up and I am just curious haha.

So say you bought your wedding dress at the beginning of 2017 to get married in October of 2017. But life happened and you had to postpone the wedding. Fast forward 2 years and you're in the current and planning for 2021 but you aren't feeling the idea of the traditional wedding and all that and your fiance and yourself are considering elopement. You try on your dress and it doesn't fit - with surgeries and stuff you've gained weight. You know it's already coming off and you can get that dress to need to be taken in by the time of the 2021 wedding but definitely not in time to elope.

Would you buy a new dress and elope or would you just leave everything as is and keep planning the 2021 wedding, losing the weight (around 50lbs) and wear the dress you fell in love with?

Hope that was easy enough to follow. We are curious what you lovely ladies and gents would do!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 21, 2019 at 15:35
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends if you LOVE your dress. if you love it and are able to fit back into it i would keep it. but if you dont care for it sell it on a fb group or kijiji and buy a new one!

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you want to elope and just say screw it to the frills then just sell it and get a nice white dress from like walmart or something along those lines to get the point across. If you still want to have a full blown wedding and still love the dress then just hang on to it for a little bit and when you hit that 1 year mark revisit the dress. see if 1 you still love it and 2 if you need to alter it. If you are wanting to elope then have a "reception" in 2021 then you have 2 options. sell the dress and get one a little more toned down hitting closer to beach wedding/party dress and less full blown wedding gown. OR just hang onto it and revisit it closer to to see if you need alterations. Depending on what you want to exactly do. Im possibly wearing my moms best friends wedding dress (which my mom is also wearing this august lol) i have to see if i like how it looks on me. But if that doesnt cut it ill probably go to the thrift store or order something simple online thats advertised as a prom or bridesmaid dress.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If this was me, this is what I'd do:

Try selling the original dress so there is some $$ to buy a new one - hopefully in time for the elopement. You won't recover the whole cost, but especially if it's new/never worn, you can probably get some good money from it.

If I was dead-set on the 2021 wedding, I'd still do this just in case I lose motivation to lose the weight - which is very much me. Plus there are new styles out there that you might like even better.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The current dress keep if your wanting the wedding in 2021 considering the investment that was made when purchased and lose the weight. If not keeping the wedding, consignment or selling it may be the best 2 options. 3rd option to think about is renting it out to others for a cost so you can make it worthwhile your cost.

Life changes occurs and can't stop it. Instead of investing more money on a new dress, renting is a better way to view as not having to keep it and paying much less than what you would pay for another one.

• K
    Frequent user September 2024 Nova Scotia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would probably go for an inexpensive dress and have the elopement, and try to sell the old dress. Life happens and just keeps on moving, so my fear would definitely be that more stuff would keep coming up and the wedding would just keep getting pushed.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would still want the wedding and if still loved the dress I would keep it- if you wanted to elope ahead of time and just have another wedding in 2021 would buy a new dress. I would go somewhere like cosignment or watch sample sales and get cheaper dress but still nice

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well, if that was me - I would buy just a random dress from Forever XXI or somewhere that is only a couple hundred dollars max for the elopement AND still plan the 2021 wedding. I would still want to be legally married asap but want that big wedding Smiley smile

If you are only wanting to do the elopement and forget about the party then I would maybe splurge a little more on a new dress that costs maybe $500 or so but not get a whole new expensive one. Maybe a consignment one?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics