Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Newbie October 2019 Ontario

Work after wedding?!

Emily, on February 18, 2018 at 07:25 Posted in Honeymoon 0 10
Hi everyone! Would love the advice and input.. My Fiance is in tradeschool to become an electrician. He has 3 more terms of schooling left. Unfortunately, he is told last minute when he will be attending school, does not know at all beforehand. We are getting married in October and he told me he might be in school during the time of our wedding. I asked if he would at least be able to take the Monday off (we are getting married on the Saturday), and he said he cannot or he will be kicked out of his schooling. I told him that I thought we would be going on our honeymoon after wedding, but he said we would not be able to until after his schooling. I asked him if he thinks we should change our date then to the spring time instead of waiting until the fall but he said there was no point as he does not know when he would be going to school anyways. I asked him what is the greater chance he will be in school and he said the fall but his school is always so up in the air he could really be told to go anytime..i am pretty discouraged and annoyed by this, am I being petty? Do a lot of people go right back to work on Monday? Will it still feel like a honeymoon by us waiting?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on February 19, 2018 at 15:41
  • Emily
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone for the tips and opinions!
    I've just always thought traditional but this is 2018 now haha so things are a bit laid back now Smiley smile My FH and I have discussed it all and really have came to the terms that there is nothing we can do about the schooling situation and we just need to go with the flow! I have lots of supportive fam and friends to help on the Monday if need be as I will take a couple days off of work, and might be nice to wait a couple weeks or months until honeymoon so its like the calm after the storm hehe Smiley smile I really appreciate everyones input! Didnt think I would get thay many responses!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband started a new job right after our wedding so I hear you but we had already decided to do a delayed honeymoon. I think it is nice to have another time to celebrate your wedding/marriage. I think you need to take everything in stride and not stress too much about what you cannot control.

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband was in school too. He went back the Tuesday after our wedding and it was fine. I went back to work on Wednesday. We took our honeymoon 4 months later after he graduated. It was nice to get away and have that time together to re-celebrate our marriage a few months in.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Been there! it was the same when my FH went through his electrical apprenticeship- he never knew when he was going back to school.

Currently he is trying to go back to school for an electrical engineering diploma and the start date conflicts with our honeymoon date. We decided to put his school off for a couple months (maybe a year depending in program intake dates) so that we can take our honeymoon because it is important to us that we get the chance to travel before life goes on. We will be taking a 2 month honeymoon so its not something we can just squeeze in somewhere and i cant get the time off work in the summer because its our busy season.

It really is a tough decision but ultimately careers are more important than a vacation. Electrical school is hard to get into with the long waiting lists and the sooner he gets his journeymans ticket the better off he will be.

We will be going right back to work after our wedding. Wedding on Saturday and back to work tuesday. We both booked monday off to help with the clean up and spend more time with fam from out of town but it will be a couple months after the wedding before we leave on our honeymoon.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its hard to not have a honeymoon after which is understanding. Most couples wait now adays due to the cost of being equivalent to a weddding.

Your FH wants to get back to trades school before he loses out on his finances for it and not getting it back due to being kicked out. He is being practical about the whole situation.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m sorry to hear that school is complicating things. I don’t think you’re being petty, it just sounds like you’re disappointed. Be supportive because that’s what he needs from you. School is temporary so it will be worth the wait to do your honeymoon properly once he’s done school.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I understand its difficult when things don't always work out in the way you had hoped. However, we're going back to work right after our wedding, and going on our honeymoon a few months later.

It can be nice to go on the honeymoon a bit later and have something else to look forward to!

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s a personal decision! My FH is a millwright. He’s in his 3rd year as an apprentice and we’ve been waiting for the possibility of him having school since we got together. He starts on Monday. It’s making us put off looking for a house because of financing and mortgage approvals but I think the long term of finishing it is worth it. If he does happen to be in school the time of your wedding maybe do a mini moon for the one night and plan for a honeymoon once he’s gotten through the schooling? I totally understand the disappointed feeling but might just be easier for both of you. It would just be a shame to change the date and then him not actually be in school during the time of your original wedding date.
  • Amelia
    Curious October 2018 Nova Scotia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly i think waiting would be fine.
    If hes in an apprenticeship where the blocks are only 6 weeks at a time, he definitley doesnt want to miss a class because theres alot of information in one day. And itll be on the test at the end of thr week.
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is a tough one. My instinct says, don't loose a whole term of school just to of away for 2 weeks right now. However, i feel like perhaps he can have a conversation with the school about options to know what's really on the table. If it's that cut and dry, miss class, get kicked out, then you just wait till he's finished. I know it's frustrating to not have certainty about details, that would drive me insane as well, but life can't be put on hold just because we get married.

Keep communicating with him though, you want to know that there is an end in sight and that the honeymoon will actually happen if that's important to the both of you. I'm not sure how long his terms are at school, but i think the honeymoon can wait a little so he can finish and move forward with his future career.

My FH and i are going back to work a few days after our wedding and taking our honeymoon a few months later as that works better with our work schedule.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics