Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

Why would you ask me that?

Stephanie, on November 18, 2017 at 13:16 Posted in Before the wedding 0 15

My bridesmaid, after a discussion with her boyfriend about their thoughts on travel, asked me if I thought I was missing out on anything by getting married. I do not, and was not offended that she asked me. But, it got me curious...has anyone been asked a question, about the wedding or not, and you kind of thought "why would you ask me that?"

15 Comments

Latest activity by Victoria, on December 20, 2017 at 17:46
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like people who say this prob have had bad experience with those annoying couples who like hole up and neglect their friends once they start dating.

One person asked my friend (obviously not to my face) if we "got engaged so fast cause i was pregnant". We've known each other four years and have been dating 1.5 lol... ALSO is this the damn 50s?

People are nuts.

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL hilarious. You should ask her the same thing...

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This friend has since become engaged, so her opinion has changed!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Some people think about themselves as they make comments or ask such questions. I dont't even answer them at all. It would be a surprise if any of your friends try to say hi if they knew how upset you were with them.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged at Christmas last year and had decided by early January that we would get married in the Fall. Everyone seemed to think that we would wait longer (got asked this a few times) and I actually had someone ask if the reason we were having a short engagement was because I was expecting. Now that we are married people are asking when we plan on having kids, how many etc. I actually had a co-worker the other day look at me and say "hey! when are we having our next baby shower?" I was so shocked but just replied "don't know. are you pregnant?" her response "no, i have 3 kids but you just got married so...." I just walked away.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Some people ask really bizarre things after you get engaged. They also feel like they can pry and ask about other personal matters, like when you plan to have children. Or, even better.. they ask about whether or not you're sure you want to get married again, after my first failed marriage. People who I barely know..

• Jes G.
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Jes G. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Daphne. Sometimes engagements and weddings can bring out insecurities in people and it can get unpleasant. Not everyone is going to be happy for you even though you are over the moon ecstatic and that’s ok. I’ve had one or two people comment on how young my age is etc. Sadly, we can’t control how other people feel towards our happy news but at the same time there are so many more people who are happy for you and want to celebrate with you- I want choose to focus on that Smiley smile
  • Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged in August 2017 but the wedding isn’t until September 2019. Everyone says “wow what a long engagement! Why are you waiting so long! Sure you won’t change your mind?” Etc. That bothers me.
    We have financial restrictions that make it so legally we can’t (or shouldn’t) get married until 2019.
    However, I’ve always thought a long engagement would be nice, why rush through it?
    People just say the dumbest most insensitive things sometimes, wedding truly do being out the worst in some people.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In my experience, sometimes weddings bring out insecurities in others. Without knowing it, she was probably projecting a question that is more one she's wondering about for herself. I wouldn't read anything into it and just keep on planning for your big day :-)

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not anything like that to me, maybe my husband did. I got a lot of comments on how short our engagement was and our age difference but I was very confident in my decision. I know what you mean when ppl make comments that take you back a bit and you're like did I even hear you right?
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not really. There was only this one kinda passive aggressive argument from a friend. She said “ blah blah blah don’t change now that you will be married” to which I just responded that my fiancé and I have been common law partners for 3 years now, so technically married and nothing had ever changed. She did not make any other comment ever since.
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven't really had anyone say anything like that to my face. I have had a few people make kind of passive aggressive comments about how young we are. Our pastor also asked us why we weren't getting married sooner (he is in favour of super short engagements).
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's super annoying. 😒
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Haha yes!!!! Not exactly like that! Mine was a bit more awkward! Lol
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh yeah that's a little strange to ask that. Getting married doesn't really change anything, you definitely wouldn't be missing out on anything.

I haven't been asked anything like that but I've had people ask me why we aren't having kids and basically preaching to us that we need to have kids. I find that kind of annoying and offensive but other than that nothing too strange!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics