Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bianca
Master August 2019 Ontario

Why Ontario?

Bianca, on July 6, 2018 at 14:47 Posted in Ontario 0 47
Hey gals (and guys)!

For those of you who’ve chosen to host your wedding in Ontario, what was your decision behind it? Is it where you live, grew up, or have some other significance?

I’d love to hear if the stunning scenery, breathtaking waterfalls, or home of Canada’s largest city had something to do with it! Destination weddings are tempting, so why stay here?

I'm excited to hear what you all have to say!

Why Ontario? 1

Why Ontario? 2

Why Ontario? 3

Why Ontario? 4

47 Comments

Latest activity by Julia, on August 9, 2019 at 14:10
  • Julia
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All of our friends and family are in Ontario, and as much as I would love to get married in Italy or Bali or somewhere exotic, I would hate to have friends and family miss our wedding because it was too far for them to travel or they couldn't take time off work... Plus Ontario has some amazing venues and vendors!!

• Sondra
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Sondra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Even though more people are flying in from around the world and even around the country, my great grandmother is still alive and very healthy so we decided to keep it close enough for her to attend and go home as she doesn't go anywhere that she has to spend the night anymore. My FH and I live abroad these days and we will be coming back to Canada for a year for wedding planning and spending time with her (she's 97).

• Chere-Lee
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I are both born in raised in Ontario (Hamilton & Scarborough). I met my FH when I bought a house and moved to Hamilton. 3 years later we are planning our wedding Smiley smile

We don't have a lot of money, but were lucky enough to find a gem of a venue in Hamilton. We are exchanging vows at C Hotel by Carmens on the rooftop Terrace! We are so excited!!

Dolce Rooftop TerraceWhy Ontario? 5

• Tiffany
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I are both from Ontario, London to be exact. All of our family lives here and it didn't make sense to go anywhere else. This way no one would have to travel and there are so very beautiful venues in London. We have a couple family members travelling (only from Toronto) so not far. This is home for both of us, we wanted to try and keep everyone happy somehow through the wedding because every other decision we are making is ours

• K
    Newbie April 2020 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted to ensure that everyone could be included in our wedding day without missing anyone, and with destination weddings all guests aren't guaranteed to attend. We found a beautiful venue to have our wedding and for photos too.

• Melanie
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Luckily I live in a beautiful part of Ontario, Prince Edward County, and getting married anywhere else never really occurred to me. All my family and FH's family are fairly local.
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's going to be so nice and interesting for your guests! Where will the reception be held on the island?

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds so great! I love a tented reception Smiley smile

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There's a tent at the golf course, so indoors, but we can roll up the sides if it's still nice!
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds so lovely! So you're going to do the ceremony at the waterfall followed by a reception outdoors at your uncles or indoors?

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We currently live in Toronto but I simply couldn't imagine having a city wedding... Destonation is too much to ask of all my family, and I want everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) to be there. We also wanted to get married at a waterfall (preferably standing in the water), so that limited our options quite a bit. Serendipitously, my uncle owns a golf course just north of Belleville and we found the perfect little waterfall out there, so that's where we'll be going!
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s great that you’ll be moving back right before the wedding! I feel like that’s going to be the time when everything comes together and things get finalized. I’m really glad to hear planning from afar isn’t difficult at all for you!
  • Kyla
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Kyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Neither of us were born in Ontario but met and live in Toronto. After dishing out thousands to attend other people's destination weddings, we felt that we didn't want for our guests to have to pay to attend our wedding. We are getting married in Toronto, on the Toronto Islands. It's a ferry ride away from the city but feels like you're in a completely different place. The skyline is an amazing backdrop and we have beach access with our venue!

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wedding planning from 22 hours away isn't actually too difficult. Trying to find and book a venue was definitely the most stressful, I had to go based off of pictures, as well as my parents opinion! Luckily my parents were around and they were more than happy to do a lot of the work for me. Other than that everything has been really great, most vendors I contact via email, and everything else I can balance here in Winnipeg and when I go home for visits (decorations, dress shopping etc.). We will be moving back to Ontario six months before the wedding so all the last minute details can be in person!

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's great how close the venue is to your parents house! How do you like planning from afar?

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both me and my FH are from Ontario, however, from different parts, I am from Guelph and he is from Uxbridge, although we currently live in Winnipeg. We talked about getting married elsewhere, , but all of our friends and family are here, and it is really important to me that they are at the wedding. Our venue is the Cambridge Mill, it is around 20 minutes away from my parents house, which is great.

• Danielle
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very true! That's awesome that your wedding ceremony will be at an art gallery! And a banquet hall is still very nice, especially with how you may decorate it. Smiley smile

I'm from Markham/Scarborough area!

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As long as it's what you want and within your budget, who cares how expensive it is? LOL. I wanted something super beautiful for our wedding but unfortunately we got bamboozled into hosting our wedding at a banquet hall (ceremony is at an art gallery if that counts?).

Where in Ontario are you from?

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There are a lot of misconceptions with marriage laws in Québec, but the big one that comes up is that you can't take your husband's last name. Luckily, this only applies for individuals who live in the province. If you live anywhere else but get married in Qc, you'll be free to choose between keeping your name or taking his, since you'll be initiating the change in the province you live in!

I'm from Gatineau and my FH is from Ottawa. At first, I didn't want anything to do with getting married Québec (haha) but our Officiant cleared up a lot of doubts and concerns. In terms of requesting the marriage license, they are a bit old school but a registered Officiant would be able to take care of all of it for any couple. For example, we'll both have to fill out a form, provide ID (including our birth certificates) and the officiant will post the request on a Qc registry online for 20-something days in case someone objects! After the actual ceremony, the Officiant will send the paperwork over and we'll receive access to an online account to view the processing time and request for a marriage certificate!

Once she broke it down to us, we felt extremely relieved that she'll be taking on the bulk of the work!

• Danielle
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although I am from Ontario, I'm getting married at the Gladstone Hotel in Toronto. I looked at so many places in the GTA, but I was looking for something rustic with bricks, wooden beams and a unique flair to it. A hotel and an art gallery? Yes please.

It's hard to find something with so much character when you look outside of city, especially when you aren't as interested in golf courses, wineries, etc. Only downfall is how expensive they get!

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just Googled your venue and OMG! It's absolutely stunning! I seriously wish I were getting married there lol.

That's beautiful how you both made Ottawa your home together! I hear amazing things about that City Smiley smile

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Another Ottawa bride! I'm originally from a small town about an hour west of Ottawa and FH is from Toronto but we've both lived here for over 10 years, love this city and consider it our forever home.

We had talked about a destination wedding for a brief second but a lot of the people we wanted to be at our wedding wouldn't be able to so it was ruled out pretty quickly.

Instead we are getting married at Aquatopia Water Garden Conservatory which is like it's own little tropical destination - a little hidden gem outside of the city. We're lucky too in that by having it in Ottawa we only have about 10 guests travelling more than an hour.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh wow that's so special! I'm glad it was able to stay a surprise, that's always the best! Congrats to you two! Smiley smile

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He proposed to me in Mexico on our deck of our swim out pool the night before we left to come home Smiley laugh It was totally a surprise (last night, I was anxious to pack and he insisted we sit outside a little longer, PLUS we'd been together nearly 8 years at the time) and I was floored by it!

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You can't take your husbands name if you live in Québec. If you are in another province it's ok, but the paperwork and process is too long. Easier to just stay in Ontario where we live.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can I ask what marriage rules are in Quebec?

• Jessie
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww thanks so much! How did your proposal go?

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im from Calgary. But live in Ottawa. FH is from Cornwall and my family is in Quebec City. We decided Ottawa because i don't want the rules of marriage in Quebec (so that was out of the question) and i didn't want to get married in Cornwall. (its too far for airport travelers) so we chose to stay home (where home is for us as long as we've been together and just more convenient for everyone coming)

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What an incredible proposal story! That really is lovely Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its coming to our 1 year soon and going after 1 month after to a cabin with our kids (dogs) for our honeymoon.

The cost of overseas honeymoon would be costly as almost of a wedding. Plus passports would need to done too.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Luckily we weren't against getting married at home.
    Windsor is right across the river from Detroit. And its not a wide river. Technically the US is north of me. Hahaha

• Jessie
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    He proposed on the sky wheel. He did his little romantic speech and waited till we got to the top and asked me to marry him. It was so sweet!
    I think it's a great idea to do it local so you can have all your friends and family together to celebrate YOU! 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics