Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sinéad
WeddingWire Admin January 2025 Galway

Who's the first person you told about the proposal?

Sinéad, on December 2, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 25

Such big news can’t be held in for too long! Who was the person that you just couldn’t wait to tell?

Who was the first person you told about your engagement?

Who's the first person you told about the proposal? 1

Photo from Lexy Marie Events in Toronto, ON

Next Question: Who's hosting? Who's paying for the wedding?

Back to the Beginning: Who's who in your 'I do' crew?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on December 11, 2019 at 12:43
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My grandma. I called her and she bawled. It was adorable.

My parents were no fun....in my mom's words, "I just didn't think marriage was something you guys would ever do"....wut?

• K
    Curious February 2022 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom was the first to know for quite a while, the ring was a family ring so it had to be sent away for cleaning and to be re-sized so until we got it back (took about 3 weeks) she was pretty much the only one that knew before then.

• Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I texted 2 of my coworkers since I found out they were in on the plan after he popped the questions. Then we went over to my moms house to return the dog my FH borrowed for the proposal and celebrated in person. My mom new it was happening though

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My parents.

Since I was the one who proposed to my Husband he wouldn't let us tell anybody until he had gone to my Dad and asked his permission for my hand in marriage Smiley heart

After that we basically let them know that we were engaged and then we told his parents, my Sister, our friends, etc.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We called my parents first.
  • Rebecca
    Curious November 2020 Bahamas
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One of my coworkers. 😂 I went out the day before with a few of my coworkers and I told them I need to get some nail polish because I think he is going to propose tomorrow so they were all texting me the next day being like “how’s it going? 😉” so I responded with a picture of the ring. After that it was my parents and siblings.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were on vacation when he proposed, so his sister, brother in law and 2 of our friends were there. Right after we sent messages to our parents and siblings!

• Kim
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were on vacation when he proposed and we wanted to tell our families in person. But, I was busting to tell someone, so I told our Airbnb host! Hahah! We told our families a week after our return and then our friends a week after that. It was hard to keep the secret for you long, but such fun to see reactions in person!
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My sisters were first. They knew it was happening and couldn't keep from asking if anything exciting happened later that same day.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It would've been my best friend but she was there for it, so my mom was first
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our parents
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My best friend!!! I called her a couple hours afterwards. It was so great to tell her.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was Christmas, so we were doing all the Christmas calls to immediate family anyway and slipped it in there. I think the first family call we did was to my mom and dad then his parents...then our siblings/their families.

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The first person I told was my daughter. Then I called my mom and gramma, It wasn't long before I ended up posting online and told the world.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom, though she didn't answer the phone at first and I had to call her twice haha.

My FH had told most of our friends and family that he was planning to propose, so everyone knew before I did

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My best friend was the first to know. FH proposed the day before mother's day, so we waited till the next day to announce it to our families since we were hosting both sides, but I just had to tell someone the day it happened lol

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Technically, our friends who were with us found out first, but the first person I called after the fact was my parents, followed by DH's dad.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh goodness, I don’t even remember! We got engaged over three years ago.
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a three-way call with my two best friends (now MOHs)! They guessed the news before I could even tell them.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A stranger! We hadn't told people yet and I was running an errand when someone complimented my ring and I couldn't hold it in. Shortly after that we told our parents. We took a little over a week to tell people in person before posting on social media.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think i told my best friend first then my cousins!!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think my MOH and my mom first. Not sure which order. FH told his mom first.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom, sister and stepdad. We facetimed them just after.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think my dad was the first one that we video called and told right after it happened. he already knew that it was going to go down because FH had called him the day before.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My now MOH! and then one of my bridesmaids!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics