Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Newbie February 2023 Ontario

Who gets corsages?

Michelle, on August 21, 2018 at 15:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18

Seeking some insight about who should be wearing corsages and boutonnieres?

My partners parents have divorced and remarried and I want to make sure that I don't upset anyone.
The only grandparent there will be his step father's mother.

I am making the fabric flowers by hand, just as I did the bouquets for the wedding.

Would love any input that could be sent my way!

18 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on September 18, 2018 at 15:02
  • Michelle
    Newbie February 2023 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks, everyone! I greatly appreciate the input! It turned out that all 6 parents, the best person, and the groomsman all got them. They turned out amazing. Was well worth sewing until the morning of the wedding. Everyone was very happy. Smiley smile
  • Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The two mothers are getting corsages and we only have one grandmother present and she will be getting a pinned flower.
  • Stefanie
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is dependent on each individual situation.
    For my wedding I will be doing corsages for our 2 mothers and my step mother (my step mothers corsage will vary slightly from my mothers); only 2 of our 3 grandmothers will be there so each of them will receive a corsage (again, different from our mothers); the 2 attending grandfathers will receive boutonnieres, as will both our fathers, the groomsmen, our usher and the groom.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Whoever you want.

We're keeping it super simple. Only my fiance is getting a boutonniere.

Talk to your family members too. They might surprise you with their response. Both our mothers said they didn't really care, and not to waste our money on that.

Our best man was weirdly a little pouty that all he's getting is a pocket square lol.

Apparently they're a huge pain in the butt to make too. Like super finicky and time consuming, so our florist ain't mad, ha!

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's up to you!

My family it was just my mother & father. My husbands family is a bit more complicated as both his parents are re-married. His step-mom helped raise him so it's like his second mom. His mom's husband is new in her life, They've been married for one year so it's a different type of relationship. We didn't want anything to feel left out so we gave all 6 of them one Smiley smile

We also got them for the groomsmen.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You do what you want! but honestly ask them too. they may not want anything.

we are doing boutonnieres for FH's dad, my uncle and a possibly a good family friend who is like a dad to me (they will be different from groomsmen. but similar).

and not fully decided. but probably doing small bouquets (called a nosegay bouquet) for my FMIL and aunt (who is my "mom" for the day). My FMIL lives in the southern states. so I asked her what is common there. and she said a small bouquet or wristlet. so i'm doing something for them. I want them to stand out a bit. especially my aunt.

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The mothers and grandmothers are getting corsages, the mothers are going on the wrist and the grandmothers are getting pins (as that's what they wanted). We don't have any grandfathers with us still and my FH's father passed away 3 years ago so my dad is the only father and he will be getting a boutonniere.

You can discuss it with your families, or talk it out with your SO and determine who you would like to give them too.

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am doing boutonnieres for my FH, groomsmen and parents (both side). My bridesmaids will have corsages! I think if you have budget for it, then have boutonnieres for all the parents and grandparents!

• Leanna
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Leanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree - do whatever you want! You can even check with your family too and see what they prefer. I was planning on giving corsages to my MIL and mother, but they both preferred to have a pinned boutonniere just like the men.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are absolutely no rules on this and its is completely up to you.

My groom didn't want boutonnieres as he said they always get wrecked when people hug you (which is true with live flowers). He also didn't like the idea of sticking a pin in his custom made suit. Since he didn't want one, I didn't get any for any of the groomsmen and they all went with pocket squares instead.

I DID want my dad to have one, as I wanted something to identify him as party of the 'bridal party'. I don't think he cared though haha. Because I got one for my dad, I got one for the groom's dad to keep it 'fair'.

As for Corsages - my mom and I both feel like they're sort of 'promish'. She didn't want one. Since she didn't want one, I did not buy one for my partner's mother or sister, but did consider it since I know they like them. At the end of the day, I just didn't feel like doing it.

• Meagan
    Frequent user October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Meagan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us the only people who are getting corsages and boutonnieres are our parents, and of course the wedding party. My fiancé has way too many family members for everyone to get them. 100% up to you though, especially where you're making them all by hand!
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We made all bouts for the family and siblings!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did corsages for grandmas and moms that’s it. And we asked if they wanted a wrist or a pin on one.
  • Helen
    Beginner August 2019 Alberta
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To make everyone feel special and happy... Im making Boutannierres for 2 dads, 4 wrist corsage for 3 moms and Grandma.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There is no rule except to be consistent between both your families. Can be just parents (always include step parents if your doing parents). For the grandparent I would say if he see her as a grandmother then I would include her (or just ask her if she would like one if your willing to make it).
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm doing corsages and boutonnieres for all parents! I think it would be a nice way to bring in your step parents too!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Be fair and give your parents and grandparents only. If you choose 2 colours, represent them as your parents and step parents. This represents two sides of the family.

The wedding party has bouquets already so they have adequate.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well.... I guess only the close family and wedding party? So step-parent or not they should get one IMO. As for the grandparents - I think that if they are a step-grandparent then it should be based on how close they are to them. But if the grandparent remarried then give them one. If they are only a step-grandparent because the mom or dad remarried and they are the parents of them then just make sure that it is the same rule for both your side as well as his.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics