Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Devoted November 2018 Ontario

Who eats first?

Emily, on September 26, 2018 at 06:50 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9
Hi everyone! So I'm having buffet style and about 15 tables of people, so we'll need to find a creative way to decide what table goes first, and what table goes next after that.

We thought we could maybe go by who has the earliest birthday, since his grandmother's birthday is January 1st sending their table up first, but we're open to any other fun ways to chose tables Smiley smile THANKS!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on September 29, 2018 at 00:53
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's actually a really cute idea with the paper planes! The song one would take forever!! Oh man! Thanks for the idea Smiley smile
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To me things like who’s birthday is first just makes things way too complicated which takes longer and more chances of a table being forgotten.

I would just do the headtable, then parents/immediate family. Then I would just call the tables by number in order. Usually I see 2-3 table numbers at a time being called.

I dont like buffets because I don’t like how some people will be done eating and others haven’t even gotten their food yet. But my fiancé really wanted one and we only have 60 people so it won’t take long to get through everyone. If you are having a large wedding (over 100 people) I would ask your venue if they can set up the buffet so there is 2 lines.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If k so headtable followed by parents/grandparents/ siblings.

after that I think it depends on what the timeline is like. If it’s getting late and people are getting really hungry pick something that goes quickly (go in order, oldest table, youngest table, etc). If your lucky and ahead of schedule you can pick something that takes more time and is interactive but avoid these if it’s getting later (6:30/7 or later). I was at a wedding where dinner was late and buffet didn’t start till 7 and we were one of the last tables to go up (around 7:45) and eat because they did Disney trivia and our table only had one small child to answer (she was so small they couldn’t see her over the podium).
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like everyone has stated - first the head table, then the tables with the parents/grandparents, then uncle/aunts/cousins (if there are multiple tables just go with who you hang out with first and then alternate your side vs. his side), and of course if you have a wedding party they should either be at the head table or consider them to be at the level of parents/grandparents.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't have a head table, we are doing a sweet heart table, then also having about 14-15 tables. I'm thinking we'll do something like a trivia or scavenger hunt option for calling tables... Realistically, with a double sided buffet for 100 people, it won't take THAT long to get everyone through the buffet line... unlike a 200+ person wedding... So it will be 2 or 3 tables at a time.

All I know is the bride and groom are going first... haha. I'm not being a starving bride on my big day... bring on the prime rib!!!!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One of the reasons I'm not doing a buffet is because every wedding I go to, I always end up at the table that goes last, or worse, forgotten about.

Head table would be first, followed by tables with bride and grooms immediate family. Next, it could be random, like drawing table numbers out of a hat.

Just make sure you get every table!! You don't want your MC to announce going up for seconds when a table or two hasn't even gotten firsts!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had each table make a paper airplane and come to the dance floor to toss them altogether. Furthest plane went first, least went last. We had the head table and parent tables go first.
    I was also at a wedding where each table was a song name. When the DJ played that song, that table got to go up.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yup, head table first, followed by the table(s) with the family of the bride and groom.

Lots of ways to decide the rest of the tables - Trivia questions, random drawing table numbers out of a bowl, game of "Who can bring me X first", etc.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Head table is firstto eat followed by family. Then other guests follow pursuit pf order to ensure everyone gets to eat.

Large weddings are set that way usually with 2 lines to go faster.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics