Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Adriana
Frequent user August 2020 Alberta

When to send invites?

Adriana, on September 19, 2019 at 10:18 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
So my fiancé and I have our venues being booked in the next day or two and times and things are all figured out but we don't know when to send out our invitations! I'm a big time planner and want to send them out pretty soon just as I want to make sure we have ample time to get final numbers and talk to caterers and everything... We aren't doing save the dates cause they are so expensive and we don't have lots of money but my fiance's family is on the coast (Halifax and we are in Alberta) and need time to save. So is it too early to send invites when we are 10.5 months away? Should we budge for save the dates for at least some people who will know will need to let work know asap if they are taking time off or no? Help! 🙈

15 Comments

Latest activity by Adriana, on September 20, 2019 at 12:54
  • Adriana
    Adriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good to know! Thank you!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will say I did think the same to send out the invites way early 9 months in advance giving 3 months to reply back and 6 months to plan out the final count and all details. Don't make the same mistake as I did as the lesson is learned later on. Your guests will lose the invitation and ask you again to send it through WhatsApp or social media source.

Send them out 4 months if you feel that is a good time instead and ample to time to respond within 2 months time to get your final count. I was also super organized and ready to get things out without realizing what may not occur.

• Adriana
    Adriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds like a wonderful plan! Thanks!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think its too early for actual invites but what you can do is do an e save the date or e invitation and that way people are aware of your wedding date as they will be coming from far and have to book time off work, plan babysitters, get flights hotels etc they need time to save as well.

• Adriana
    Adriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awesome thanks so much Allison!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with others, send invites at the earliest 6 months ahead of time.

I'd also recommend save the dates, mostly because of the family on the East Coast. You don't even have to do paper, you can send them electronically! If you do save the dates, you can probably put off the actual invitations until 4 months.

Definitely don't send the actual invitations too early!! People will forget/lose the RSVP card lol.

• Adriana
    Adriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's very true! I'm thinking we just send Save the Dates to those who will need it but otherwise invites will just be sent out. And I've been looking at Vistaprint and I love all their stuff! It's great! Thanks Smiley smile
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As the others said, I would wait 6 months at the earliest. We're did save the dates and we are sending our invitations out within a couple weeks which will be about 4 months before the wedding.

If you want to save on save the dates maybe just send them to the people that will have to travel across country? Save the dates aren't mandatory and every guest who ends up getting invited doesn't need to get one. I know that our guest list fluctuated a bit and a few people were added post sending out the save the dates. I got my save the dates from Vistaprint with a 50% off coupon. they have a lot of sales and deals so I would browse around to see if you like anything from them and then sign up for their mailing list to get coupon codes.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Depends on the type of person you are - I don't have a problem telling people that there wasn't enough room or due to cost we weren't able to invite everybody, but not everybody is like that. Plus imo it is ruder to ask if they are invited than to tell them no.

I would say ya, that way if you do get no's you could send out another set of invites but at the same time give them lots of notice Smiley smile

If you do STD's even on a post of FB make sure you include the city/province you will be getting married in so that they are aware of not just the date but that they will need to save money to travel.

• Adriana
    Adriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for the ideas there for save the dates. We may just budget in save the dates since we have lots of people we would need to notify ASAP. Thanks!
  • Adriana
    Adriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Very good point! Would hate to have people lose the invites!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Tori - it's too soon to send out your invitations just yet. I definitely love Save the Dates, it gives everyone a "heads up" about the wedding.

I'm getting married next July, and I sent out my Save the Dates a year in advance. I actually don't recommend doing it that early - we had so many elderly people not understanding and thinking it was an invite with no RSVP, or wedding details. I don't like electronic Save the Dates, I prefer mailing something to people instead. We did magnets which everyone loved because they can put it on their fridges and not forget or lose it.

Since it's September, and you're getting married next August, any time now is safe to send the Save the Dates - just be sure to put the year on it in like block, bold letters. I don't know how many calls my in laws got with people saying "we're sorry we missed the wedding" (thinking our wedding was last year, not next year).

I think you could send your invites anywhere between 4-6 months from your wedding date. Determine when your venue needs your head count by, and give yourself some wiggle room to chase people for RSVPs.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Adriana,

You could possibly email or send electronic save the dates if you want to save money in the budget - totally understandable that you want to ensure those that are travelling have the info as early as possible, but in my opinion, it's a little early to send the actual invites. Many may be lost, RSVPs forgotten, etc., if you send them too early.

• Adriana
    Adriana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that's a good idea! I like the idea of an online one. My biggest concern though is that people who won't be getting an invitation will get their hopes up. There are lots of people who aren't on our list who have been pestering us non-stop since our engagement was announced so I'm worried people might get their hopes up? Maybe not?

And so would you suggest keeping it around the 6-4 month mark for invitations?
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't send the invites out just yet - but maybe you could post a picture online with a "Save the Date". It's no secret to those who you aren't inviting that you are engaged and getting married so I would be fine doing that.

Otherwise I would say that I sent out the first round of invitations (had 2 sets to send after we received some no's) at the 6 month mark and even that was pretty early.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics