Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allison
Frequent user June 2019 Ontario

When To Pay Our Officiant

Allison, on June 12, 2019 at 14:43 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 7

Hey!

I tried to browse through previous discussions but couldn't find anything relating to WHEN to pay our officiant. Payment is due on the wedding day - okay no problem. And we originally e-transferred the money for the deposit to hold our date - which I was totally comfortable with.

My question is, do I pay our officiant via e-transfer the morning of (or night before) and hope that she shows up on the wedding day for our ceremony? *We have never actually met in person* only spoke over the phone and through email. She also is the officiant who married a co-worker of mine so I know she is a real person lol

Or do I take out the cash and place it in an envelope and give it to our best man who can than pay the officiant when she arrives (prior to the ceremony) so this way no one is worrying about whether or not they are getting paid?

So many thoughts, less than 2 weeks to go!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on June 14, 2019 at 08:48
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Tori in on point with the payment. Has the Officiant made it a point to let you know that she would be charging for the Rehearsal as they don't include in their charge for the your wedding. You should find out her price and see if you want to go ahead with it and include that charge on top.
    It is up to you to invite her to the Rehearsal knowing this and have an envelope ready for her on the day of and hand it over personally when she arrives and you want to meet her before the actual ceremony.

• Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Okay perfect! Thank you all for being on the same page as each other that made it super easy. And thank you Tori for mentioning the rehearsal dinner - I hadn't invited her yet! Jeez I thought I was on top of everything. Thank you!

I will take the money out of the bank and be ready to pay her on the Friday if she is able to attend the rehearsal dinner, if not I will entrust a wedding party member to pay her prior to the ceremony. They can also be responsible for the license + rings and such.

Thanks!

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We paid the officiant at the rehearsal a few days before the wedding. I think word would get around if she were taking payments for weddings and not showing up. But if payment isn't actually due until the wedding day and you're that nervous about it, by all means give it to your best man to hand over right before the ceremony.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have it in an envelope so that there is NO CHANCE of them no-showing and getting your money as well as so there isn't any problem with getting the money if the banks are done for the weekend or maintenance or what have you.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you doing a rehearsal with her? You could pay it then as well

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have it in an envelope and give it to the best man- make sure he doesn't forget it and have him give it prior to the cermony as the guys are there first. This way she has shown up and gets paid and people won't forget after done.

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We e-transferred the money a couple of weeks in advance, but we had already met a couple of times. If you are more comfortable paying her day off, I would just give the cash to the best man!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics