Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sinéad
WeddingWire Admin January 2025 Galway

When did you get engaged?

Sinéad, on November 18, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 23

I bet you remember this moment like it was yesterday! What was your engagement like? Was it a total surprise or did you have an inkling because your SO can’t keep a secret?

When did you get engaged?

Next Question: When did you announce your engagement?

Back to the Beginning: Your Relationship Timeline!

23 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on November 25, 2019 at 10:55
  • Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He proposed on June 28th, I was getting home from work and he had stolen my families dog so when i opened the door to our condo there was my cute little puppy looking unsure of himself since he has a ring box taped to his collar. It was the perfect proposal! and it was and wasn't a surprise. He has reached out to one of my co-works asking them to make sure I got my nails done and when I kept saying so they sternly told me it would be in my best interest and nothing else. So I had a feeling but it was still a surprise

• Natasha
    Curious July 2021 New Brunswick
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had just bought our house a week before he proposed!!! - In our NEW home with boxes everywhere, he asked Smiley smile

February 9th 2019

We began dating June 2015 but have known each other for 15 years, friends as kids Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had an unofficial engagement since i moved in May 2014 by trying the rings he had in cases not fitting him. It was a perfect size for my hands and that would consider it as asking. April 2015, it was decided that we were getting married.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Two years and two months after we started dating! September 24 (I think it was the 24th) 2017.
  • Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours was a long time coming but also a complete surprise. My fiancé & I had been dating for 10 years and whenever I had mentioned getting married he always said that I would have to propose or we’re not getting married for years! This was all an elaborate ruse.

We got engage on February 25th, 2018. We did an Asylum themed escape room & he wrote a speech referencing songs by my favourite singer (Emilie Autumn). It was perfect & everything I would want.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    November 16th, 2017. We’d been together for two and a half years at that point.
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    March 2nd 2019. He popped the question at our house and it completely caught me by surprise.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just over a year. I asked her at Gulfoss in Iceland on our first big trip together
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Feb 23, 2018. We went to Cuba for a vacation with his sister and brother in law and then one other couple we were all friends with.
    The first full day we took a walk down the beach at sunset and he proposed. It was a complete shock and I had no idea. I even packed his suitcase before we left, so I had no idea how he snuck the ring into his bag without me noticing!
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

September 28, 2018. It wasn't completely unexpected, but I was still surprised.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm thinking I must be terrible. I don't remember the exact date we got engaged. We went out to dinner and to the theater. He put the ring on the window ledge and actually had to point it out that it was there lol. It was at least 7 years ago though.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    September 14, 2019. I had found out about a promotion at work the day before so he suggested we celebrate with a bottle of wine and he surprised me in our kitchen. Up until about half an hour before he was throwing me off the trail by asking about how long I thought it might take to order a ring custom from Etsy.
  • A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He hasn’t done the “traditional” proposal yet. Together we decided that we wanted a celebration. We are calling it a celebration even though papers will be signed and vows exchanged but for us it is the eleven years (at the time of our wedding) together and the family we are raising, saying thank you to those who brought us together for those who supported when others didn’t think we would last. We want it to be more about them then us as we already feel married in all sense of what that word means. He has said that he will do a traditional proposal he just hasn’t come up with something that he says I deserve and is fitting of our relationship.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Christmas Day 2016! It was a total surprise. Fort Knox lock-down level - he told no one for fear the might even let the tiniest hint slip by accident.

There was a near miss in regards to his surprise proposal. The town we lived in at the time did P.O. Boxes and not much shopping options...which made Christmas shopping tricky as it meant we both order a lot of things on-line to the same box without each other getting the parcels. I went to pick up the mail one day when my parcel was due in. The was a parcel shoved in I didn't recognize, so I left it thinking it might have been a Christmas gift Rob ordered. Good thing I did too...It came from out of country, so the outside of the parcel would have had the customs inventory sticker on it. It would have said ring and ring box! I don't wear jewellery, so him getting me a ring and a custom ring box would have been a dead give-away!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

December 8, 2018 it was completely random and i had no idea! we were just home when he asked!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    May 2nd, 2018

it’s a blur! i knew all day somehow that it was coming - longest day ever
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged on February 14, 2018.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged October 26, 2017.

It was sort of a surprise. We were on vacation and I was expecting/hoping he'd propose during the trip - he ended up asking the first day, when I was expecting near the end of our trip.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

May 8th 2018, I was not surprised at all (though I pretend I was)

8 1/2 years into our relationship. I always thought I would say "what took you so long" haha

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was on April 15, 2018, our two year anniversary. I had thought that maybe it was coming because the days leading up he had made a big deal about saying he didn't want me to be upset that a proposal wouldn't be happening on our anniversary so I thought in the back of my mind that maybe he was overselling that it wouldn't happen because it was going to. Then dinner was over and the proposal didn't happen and we were heading home so I though "huh, I guess he wasn't trying to throw me off any scent, it didn't happen." But then it did happen when we got home.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

December 21 2018. About a year and 4 months into the relationship.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

January 2019! 2 years and 3 months from our first date. I was pretty sure it was going to happen that weekend as we had been talking about the wedding alot, gone ring shopping and it was a very romantic weekend planned.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I proposed to my DH on December 30th 2017 Smiley smile Almost 10 months into dating Smiley laugh

The plan: Take him to the Canad Inns WinterWonderland Light Show and propose in the tunnel of hearts/love, then take him out for pizza wherever his heart desired, and end the night with a movie - Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

I took him to the light show and of course it just HAD to be -30°C plus a windchill... so of course I refused to get out of the car to propose and rather proposed to him right there in the car. I had purchased a couples bracelet set from Claire's (that's right, ya girl went all out with a $10 set of bracelets) that said "Her One" and "His Only" on them (although some of you may remember me wearing it as a choker instead as it was so large). Before I could get out half of the words as to why I knew he was the one for me and how I would stick with him through everything that life would throw at us I was crying my eyes out. It was nerves, it was happiness, it was a little gross tbh Smiley tongue I mentioned that even though we had only been together for 10 months, even though he was my first and only boyfriend I've had, even though I was only 20 years old to his 27 that THIS WAS IT. There was no need to keep looking because we had found each other.

Of course he said yes, he was shocked and for sure thought I would be proposing at our 1 year anniversary that we would be spending in Prague, Czech Republic - but I did warn him earlier when we were talking marriage back in October 2017 that I would not be proposing on a cliché like Christmas, New Year's Eve/Day, or our anniversary!

We continued on our night and we were both super excited to share the news with everybody - but of course if you have met Kael, you know it wouldn't be that easy. He did the traditional thing of going to my Father and asking his permission before we made it official and could tell our families or our friends. Hence only the two of us knew about our engagement while ringing in the new year as Fiancé(e)'s.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics