Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sinéad
WeddingWire Admin January 2025 Galway

When did you announce your engagement?

Sinéad, on November 18, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 22

Such exciting news is almost impossible to keep to yourself! Did you immediately start shouting it from the rooftops or did you hold onto the news until you told some close family and friends personally? Did you do a big reveal on social media?

When did you announce your engagement?

Next Question: When is your wedding date?

Back to the Beginning: Your Relationship Timeline!

22 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on November 25, 2019 at 11:03
  • Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like 20 min after we got engaged we went to return my moms dog, my sister was there and my brother and his wife were on their way over (they had no idea this just happened) so we celebrated with them.

I started making phone calls to my family and close friends right away. My FH called his mom and then send a email to the rest of his family letting them know we got engaged the next day, he wanted to make sure his mom knew first

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had an unofficial engagement announcement. First calls were made to the families followed by co workers and friends.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We made a bunch of phone calls that day. Sent emails to extended family and other friends the next couple days, made it “Facebook official” two-three weeks later.
  • Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pretty much immediately 😂 we got engaged the evening of February 25th, we told my parents at 10pm that evening & I texted my best friend the next morning
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The same day we got engaged. We called the people we wanted to first, which were also our Christmas phone calls, then put it up on Facebook. Most likes on a post I have done every (like 200+)

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Like the next day! We called all the important people and then posted it on social media that day
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our parents knew immediately but we knew it was going to be a long wait til the wedding so we didn’t officially announce it until a year out
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We told our immediate family right away once it happened. His family knew it was happening then, and my parents knew it would happen on the trip but unsure when.
    Once we got home from our trip I called both grandparents because I didn’t want them to find out on social media, then I posted it. So it was about a week after it happening that it was officially announced to everyone
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hah. The next day? We couldn't hold it in. Our families knew he was going to do it so we told them it happened then stuck a photo of the ring on instagram.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not sure if we ever really announced it. We tell people that we are going to invite to the wedding the date they need to save for us but I dont think we did a big announcement
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We told our parents the same weekend, and we took over a week to make sure our important friends and relatives got to find out in person.

My future MIL posted it online before I did (a misunderstanding) so a few of my friends found out that way. Thankfully they weren't upset to find out on Facebook.
  • Megan
    Curious July 2020 British Columbia
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We told close friends and family within 48 hours, we waited a few weeks to announce it. We are relatively young to be getting married so I was hesitant, plus I had to send my ring to get resized the day after we got engaged so I didn’t have it for 2 weeks
  • A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We told our parents and grandparents after we discussed it with each other. As we started the planning process we started to let more people know and now after three years of planning those who need to know know. We have been referring to each other as husband and wife for a long time that most people don’t even question it.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We told our families first then close friends and then after a month or so i posted on social media!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We told a few people the night it happened, and then told everyone else the next day!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I couldn't hold it in, so it was the day-of. I definitely made sure parents knew before posting on social media!

• Kelly
    Curious February 2020 British Columbia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did "stages" - so when we agreed to get married we just had a discussion on the couch where we agreed and picked a date. However since the date was four months later, we had to start planning right away and also tell our families and friends to reserve the date! In the meantime he went with my best friend to get a ring and officially "propose", but the ring resizing takes 10 business days, then when he finally got it back he got super sick with the flu for two weeks lol. So finally, a month after we had agreed to get married he finally "proposed" and then we told the rest of people (basically everyone who wasn't invited to the wedding) and then announced it on social media about a week after that. I didn't tell people before that because I didn't want to deal with a million "omg let's see the ring" questions when I didn't have one yet.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The day of, he had told pretty much all our friend's and family that he was going to propose when we were on vacation in Jasper AB, so they were pretty much itching for the news the whole time we were away.

We called our parents and his sister while we were still up on the mountain, and I texted my best friend. Then we hiked our way down and made it facebook official

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We phoned/Face Timed our parents, siblings and grandmas that night to tell them. The next day we announced it on social media.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We told our families that day (even though they knew it was coming), and then everyone else we told a day later.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We announced it to our parents and friends and family a day or so after. And then posted it on social media week after.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although I was the one who proposed to him - he did the traditional thing of going to my Father and asking his permission before we made it official and could tell our families or our friends. Hence only the two of us knew about our engagement while ringing in the new year as Fiancé(e)'s.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics