Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Expert August 2018 Ontario

What was the most extravagant wedding you've been to like?

Linzer, on February 15, 2017 at 19:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
How was it? Have you kept it in mind for your own planning? How many people were there? What were some of the highlights?
Some context:

So I've been to some nice weddings before but I was talking to my coworker today about her wedding last year. I wasn't super close to her back then so I didn't attend but I saw pictures as a lot of our coworkers went and a couple of them were bridesmaids. She shared that her wedding was actually featured in a high end bridal magazine (not Wedluxe but close!) So, me being me, after she showed me the magazine piece I HAD to ask how much she spent on her big day since she mentioned she paid for it herself. She spent 85k after originally budgeting for 50k! I actually gasped.
Have any of you been lucky enough to go to one of these types of weddings? Are you doing something like this?
I'm so curious! I also can't help but feel a little wedding envy so I figured I'd start this thread instead of obsessing over her wedding pictures. (Attached two non identifying ones here though!)

What was the most extravagant wedding you've been to like? - 1

What was the most extravagant wedding you've been to like? - 2

18 Comments

Latest activity by Simone, on February 18, 2017 at 00:29
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say it was my friend's wedding with the ceremony was decorated to the nines with flowers and centrepieces. The reception was also beautiful and fun filled with good food, drinks and dancing. I caught the bouquet for the first time.
  • Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Omg that would be the best! I could do a ton with that theme!

My dream if money was no limit would be to rent out Disneyland for my wedding. Smiley winking

I've only been to a couple weddings but out of the ones I have, mine would probably be the most extravagant in comparison. (Though it was nowhere near extravagant haha!) Each wedding suited the couple though and they had the time of their lives. Would be fun to go to an extravagant one sometime though!

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What she says is so true! One of my mom's good friends came to our wedding and her son had just gotten married a couple months before us. She literally came up to us 3 times during the reception to say how much she loved our wedding and how personal it was and said that her son's wedding was "beautiful" but that was it! I didn't go to their wedding but I know that it was much bigger and more lavish than ours and apparently more impersonal. I think weddings are the best when they're a reflection of the couple and it's not just like "oh that could have have been anyone's wedding."

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's awesome! One wedding I went to there was an actual game to see who would win the centre pieces!
    Last one I went to I cuaght the bouquet so I got to take that home, the one before they had willow branch candle holders and I still have them in my guest room!
    I hope my guests like fairy lights and mason jars lol
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its like winning a prize! I loved having those flowers, and I saved the wooden box. I'm slowly making fabric flowers to fill it up for my cofffee table.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm excited and sad to have guests take my centerpieces home. Our rule for centerpieces (since they are games) is that they have to win them in a battle royale against people at the table! There is 1 or 2 I'd like to keep, so I'm putting them at my parents and wedding party's table. But if someone took them I could always make another, so no big!

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love taking centerpieces home! I think I'll let my guests take mine if they want them Smiley smile
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Haha but if other people are doing it on pinterest that's sort of confirmation that's it's super cool! Not everyone is that crafty. I'm certainly not !
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love your last line....that's so true!
    I wish I could have a frikkin castle wedding haha although I'd end up turning it hogwarts themed probably!
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I needed to hear that, thanks to you and Valerie!! ❤
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a wedding with my fiance. It was back in 2011 or 2012 and it was for someone in his family. I don't remember too much but the venue was huge and had high ceilings, open bar, huge guest list, a buffet with a huge variety of food, they had cirque de soleil performers there, a live band! I don't know the cost of the wedding but I imagine it was expensive !
  • Leah
    Frequent user April 2017 Quebec
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One of my cousins had a big fancy wedding reception. Her photo is used in one of the elevators at the hotel where the reception was. She had no idea their photo was there until I spotted it a few years after when I was in that city for a work conference and stayed there.

My wedding budget is $2000 for food, alcohol, photographer, hall rental and cake. But I am doing my best to make it be special and different by doing a crap load of origami. Hopefully it'll be something people have never seen before but everytime I get a great idea I end up seeing pics of my idea on pinterest! So I am not as original as I thought.

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

NO! Not at all! It is Ok not to be that flashy person, it is ok to want something different. It is encouraged to plan the wedding you and your fiance want, and not a magazine glam event.

You will pick what you like, and your wedding will be perfect. People will love it because they love you, and they will see the work you put into hosting a beautiful, personal wedding, with great food and drinks...just the way you want it.

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A friend of mine from Jr high, had a very lux wedding... It was in Scotland, 75 guests, she hired a coach to transport us to the ceremony in an old castle, with a piper in full costume piping us in... reception was at charming inn, 4 course meal, with 3 options, string quartet during supper, caleigh band after supper, then a DJ... Midnight buffet supper, open bar... It was a three day celebration... I heard rumors that it cost 70,000 pounds which seems about right... The least expensive wedding I attended was in Key West, 15 guests, beachfront wedding, dinner at a local 5 star hotel (his mom worked there and got them a deal) no dancing, cash bar, it cost under $2000 and was a three day celebration... Guess the bottom line is, no matter how much was spent to host it or the size of the guest list, I have never had a bad time at a wedding.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

omg no! More expensive does not always equal better. Yours will be sweet and personal. Huge guests list just give people less time to actually interact with their guests. I would rather have 60 guests that I can spend a subtantial amount of time with over 300 guests that I have to rush through so I make sure I've seen and thanked them all.

I'm SO looking forward to my small-ish wedding (heck I wish it was a bit smaller, but FMIL's side is so big by comparison the my side... FH wanted them all invited), where I actually know all my guests closely and the places I decided to go "cheaper" also became the things that mean the most to me because I made them. The wedding will be so perfectly you and that is what makes it awesome... don't doubt it for a second!

I'll take a "cheap" personal wedding over a lavish cookie cutter wedding any day of the week!

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like I'm going crazy and am irrationally terrified my much smaller, way more laid back and waaaaay cheaper wedding will be horrible in comparison. Yay anxiety! Haha.
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Her wedding looks stunning- But I honeslty find the big elaborate weddings overwhelming, not my style.

I wne to a pretty glamourous wedding in September 2015. It is the only wedding I actually recall the centerpieces from, because they were stunning floral displays. I was a bridemaid, and the Bride let me take one home the next day Smiley laugh This wedding wasn't quite as high- scale at the one you described, but all the details were just really well handled by the venue, and it showed.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cousin had a very lavish wedding, I don't know the budget and don't really have pictures to share. I just remember there was tons of food (which was just ok) and a HUGE guest list (I think like 300+)... didn't seem worth the huge bill to me

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics