Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

What was most important to you when choosing your gown or suit?

Joey, on June 21, 2018 at 11:05 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19

When you started shopping for your wedding day outfit, what topped your must-have list? What features did it need in order for you to feel flawless wearing it? What was the most important thing to you when you were choosing your wedding day attire?

What was most important to you when choosing your gown or suit? 1

Photo from Renee & Rebecca's wedding, captured by Robin Sharp Photography

19 Comments

Latest activity by Jessie, on June 26, 2018 at 11:31
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It had to be white, obviously. I wanted a fitted dress and a long train and long veil. I got everything I wanted and even more. I'm so in love with it and I can't wait for it to be altered.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not sure, not even there yet!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My suit was to standout and be original than anything. Priceless quality is hard to find. I did find a cream colour 5 pcs with a silk shirt for $294. It was bought 18 months prior and fitted perfectly the day of our wedding.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Color and budget, I wanted straps but the dress that came be doesn't have them I could add them but I feel like they may change the look of the dress completely.

My dress before alterations was $1100 so we will see what the final cost will be after alterations. I wanted a full red dress and for most of my shopping trips it was looking very bleak. Most stores told me flat out "impossibe, good luck." With no suggestions or anything, luckily I walked into the right bridal store and BAM they had one and could I try it on in white, for the red they had to order it in and I'm SO GLAD I walked into that store.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me it was Budget and How I Felt in it!

I could feel good in a $10,000 dress but that's not happening. I wanted to stick to my budget and I just wanted to feel good! I wasn't looking for that Say Yes to the Dress Moment (though I did end up having one) But I just wanted to look at myself in the mirror and be able to picture the reaction to my fiance seeing me too.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Similar to what other brides have mentioned:
    - Comfort;
    - Make me feel beautiful;
    - Withing my budget

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband had a clear idea that he wanted a custom 3-piece suit so that is what he got.

For my dress I wanted something that was comfortable, had straps, was fitted, and made me feel amazing! I originally didn't want lace as I thought it would make me look old but I ended up with a dress that had lace overlay and loved it!

What was most important to you when choosing your gown or suit? 2

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This dress is gorgeous!

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My dress was needed to have straps (or straps made), lace and comfortable!

For his suit- We rented, so he didn't have too much choice, but we both agreed it was going to clean cut and of course, comfortable.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted something flowy but not a poofy ballgown! and I wanted beaded. When I was trying on dresses my buzzword was: Great Gatsby vibes and the consultant pulled this number out:

What was most important to you when choosing your gown or suit? 3

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only must have as of right now - a corset back. I'm going to need something to hold me up and in right?

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My main criteria were that the dress needed some sort of straps or sleeves, ideally lace sleeves, and that it had no train. I also wanted an A-line, since that generally fits me best, but that wasn't as important.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly the biggest factor for me was something that was comfortable and I could pee by myself in. Lol. I picked a dress out in the first place I visited and that was just fine by me - I don't know if I had that "big moment" but I didn't really need it either. It sounds silly compared to everyone else's ah-ha moments but I guess I just wanted to find something nice that suited me not necessarily "the one".

I did manage to find one similar to the styles I had envisioned before shopping - ivory, lace and fit and flare. I really do like it and go for my second fitting on Monday - hoping everything goes smoothly

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Budget, feels, and comfort are my top three must haves.

I don’t have my dress yet but yesterday whike

researching options, I stumbled upon a dress 4 times higher than my budget that I absolutely love 🤦🏾‍♀️.... so I’m conflicted, but determined to find a happy medium.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For my dress I really wanted something that complimented me and my personality. I was willy to try on anything and everything. Comfort was also a very important thing!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was the feeling I had in it. I liked certain things (beading, lace, trumpet... maybe sleeves, maybe straps... probably not strapless)... but the dresses I tried on, I wasn't feeling confident. My last dress I put on was put aside by my consultant (I had tried it on alone about 4 months prior in a feeler appointment)... As I was slipping it on, I felt like I was putting on my dress. As she pulled the curtain back, I was beaming, and standing tall with confidence. Immediately my FMIL started crying, then me, then my mom.
    I said to my mom "you didn't even want strapless".... and she said "but you look so happy in it". BOOM. Done deal.

I think when people go with something "they never thought they wanted", it's because all the "factors" of the dress melt away, and you're left with how it makes you feel.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont have my dress yet, but it needs to have lace. Something about lace makes me feel so elegant. I'd also love to have a detailed, button up back. It's really important that i have support in the chest, as I'm big chested! I have this one lined up with my bridal consultant to try on when I go for my appointment in August. I saw it last week in store and it felt like "the" dress (without trying on yet, of course!)

What was most important to you when choosing your gown or suit? 4
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just something that will fit me and appropriate for the season
  • Sheilah
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For my dress - having modesty and support in the chest. I have giant, unruly boobs and I want them covered, contained and tamed for the day!

For his suit - comfort! He wants something comfortable that he can easily wear again. So we're just going khakis, nice shirt and a vest.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics