Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

What was most important to you when choosing your caterer?

Joey, on December 12, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding reception 0 17

What was at the top of your "must have" list when you were shopping for a caterer? Was it a certain cuisine type? A special serving style? A menu item you just had to have? A specialization with certain dietary restrictions? The staffing they could provide?

What was most important to you when choosing your caterer? 1

Photo by Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa in Kitchener

If you're feeling lost in the world of wedding catering, let us help you sort through your choices with 12 Questions to Ask a Wedding Caterer.

17 Comments

Latest activity by Katrin, on January 4, 2019 at 11:48
  • Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We want to have a 100% vegan wedding and buffet meals so we needed a caterer who is open to that. Fortunately, we found an amazing one.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t get to pick a specific caterer; just a specific hall that provides catering in their package. What was important to us that it was an Italian hall (I’m Italian) and that they had things like an antipasto bar and a porchetta option for a late night table.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

#1 is taste. We're getting the top level buffet option at our venue, and it's still only $47.99 per person. There are so many options, and the #1 review about our venue for ANY type of event is how amazing the food is. We're so excited! Haha.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Price was a big factor. And being able to change some things from their standard menu. and of course taste (I've been to plenty of events at my venue. I'm not even worried about taste. they will knock it out of the park!)

around here, family style meals are the norm. with what feels like 8 different courses/platters (antipasto, salad, rolls, 2 meats, potatoes, pasta, veggies, dessert). Out of the option/price point we want to go with I want to see if they will change the veggie and let me have chicken parm vs roasted chicken. still haven't confirmed. that's a future Jenn problem! hahah

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Price honestly. My parents are paying for the dinner, and I wanted to make it a reasonably priced meal! But the people we chose also have amazing reviews so I am confident the food will be great.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are using the venue's in house catering; which we had to do but saves the energy of finding an independent caterer 18 hours away!

I knew they had good food and they have a variety of options we can choose for the menu, even an option that allows guests to choose between 2 things. They are also accommodating for vegetarian/vegan guests!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We knew our venue did their own catering, which was a bonus for us. We have the option to bring in other caterers if we wanted to do one-off stations like poutine, wings, etc. but we aren’t going to do that.

The most important thing for us was that its good food and there are options for those who can’t or don’t eat meat.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us, there were two important things:

1) The food reflects us, people would enjoy it and the fun vibe we want. A taco buffet for dinner, and gourmet hotdog buffet for midnight supper.

2) That there was enough. We've been to weddings before where there felt like there wasn't enough food, and we have some very big eaters. We did not want to have to worry about running out of anything.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That they could do a mixed cuisine buffet style! Our venue does in house catering and their options were perfect!
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted someone who was able to work around diet needs as my grandpa is celiac and the best man is strictly vegan as he has many allergies.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It needed to be in-house catering, able to accommodate my mother-in-law's dietary restrictions, and be GOOD! Food was one of the most important things to us and happily people raved about it afterwards Smiley smile

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The biggest thing, for us, was finding a venue that also did their own catering. Living halfway across the country from our wedding venue, we didn't want to have to search for a caterer and figure out whether they could work at 'x' location.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue does their own catering. It was important for us to have dietary restrictions accommodated for as we have a guest with a peanut allergy, a vegetarian, some Muslim guests that require Halal meals, and some guests that are on an organic diet. As mentioned above, we wanted to make sure that the food would be something our guests would enjoy as opposed to just fancy food. Our venue offers a wide option of hors d'oeuvres to choose from for cocktail hour too.

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Flexibility! We chose our venue partly because of their in house catering. They're excited and open to doing customized menus which means even our meal can represent us. 😍
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Lucky for us, our venue does their own food. So this saved a lot on cost. We have been to a couple weddings there before, so we know the food is good.

There are plenty of options, so it is just making it food that we love. Like Tori said not just getting the fancy stuff because it is a wedding.

FH is Italian and said " Its not an Italian wedding if we don't do antipasto for the cocktail hour" lol so antipasto it is! Our venue is also very Italian so it makes it easier for us to pick food we love because we are used to eating that way!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The most important thing to us was that it was "us" food. Like we didn't want any chicken cordon bleu or beef au jus because it was so typical and boring. Instead we went with something that we love - Pulled pork! lol not classy - but neither is our wedding (on a dock and in a pavilion with bonfires afterwards).

If somebody doesn't want to eat it then they better fill up on s'mores later! (Don't worry, we will let the guests know what food will be available before the big day so they can bring a bagged lunch or eat beforehand if they really detest our choice.)

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I’s venue will be doing our catering; however, it was important to us that they cater to dietary restrictions as we have three to four vegans attending our wedding, as well as guests who can handle spice better than others, so flexibility in that regard was also key. Service was important too; we like that they work for the venue itself as the venue will hold them to a high standard and be able to coordinate/work with them closely.

If we had to find our own caterer, majority of this would still apply!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics