Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

What to do--storage unit or two places

Stephanie, on January 18, 2018 at 13:41 Posted in Living together 0 8

My fiance and I do not live together. We are getting married beginning of July. We are both in a lease until the end of August. Our plan is for me to move in to his place after we are married, and then we will look for a new place. The decision we are making now is what to do with my stuff in the meantime.

I think I should keep it at my current place and pay rent for August; that will give me a month to go through it all and get rid of stuff I no longer need.

My fiance thinks I should try to get out of my lease a month early and we would rent a storage unit. That would give us time to go through it all once we move into our new place.

What worked for you when you moved in together?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Lisa, on February 17, 2018 at 07:18
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We already live together and his continual comment is I have TOO much stuff! Lol.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have decided! We are keeping both places until the end of our leases in August. This will give us a little over a month (since July is super busy with our wedding, honeymoon, and a friend's wedding) to combine our stuff and sell/get rid of what we don't need.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I moved from my place to my now husband's place, I rented a u-haul truck and that came with a free storage unit for a certain period of time (I can't remember what it was). Maybe call your local u-haul place and see if there is anything like that? They have pick-ups you can rent, even if you don't need a huge truck. That could end up being a 'best of both worlds' situation?

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would be able to pack up after the wedding--we're getting married July 7 and I would keep my place until the end of July. But, we would be looking at paying one month's rent versus multiple months for a storage unit.

Plus, we might end up having to get a storage unit anyway, because I have lots of stuff. And, I can't get rid of some of it because it belonged to my grandparents and I'm a sentimental person! So, his thinking is, why not just move that stuff into a storage unit, since we probably won't have room in our apartment for it, until we buy a house.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think only moving things once and leaving it until after the wedding are the best choices. There is so much going on with a wedding that you don't need to add the stress of moving as well.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can afford to keep paying your rent then it would be much easier for you to keep your place and go through your stuff whenever you are able to whether you have time before the wedding or after.

• April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You’re going to be so busy before the wedding. Adding moving into the mix would just be stressful!
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To me, your option seems to make more sense. Just keep your items at your place, and you have time AFTER the wedding to go through everything and decide what to keep, what not to, and to move

His option would involve moving your items twice, once into the storage unit, and once again when you move in. It also means you will be moving and packing up right BEFORE your wedding - is that something you will have time to do?

His option (if you can break lease) will save you money. But it is just one month worth of money savings, not a long term thing. And is the money you would save worth packing up your apartment right before the wedding?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics