Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gina
Super April 2019 Alberta

What to book first?

Gina, on April 25, 2018 at 14:19 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 26
Our wedding is September 2019, but being in a major City (Edmonton) things can sometimes book up fast! I have our venue deposit in, I’m in the works for the DJ and Photographer right now to book them as well.. is there anything else you booked early? Or can most other things wait? What were the first things you booked? Thank you everyone!

26 Comments

Latest activity by Helen, on April 30, 2018 at 16:06
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The commissioner. Aside from you two, and a couple witnesses that is pretty much the most important piece of the puzzle! There are probably a lot in Edmonton to choose, but it sure felt better when we secured ours!

• Christine
    Curious September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We obviously booked our venue first then our photographer which you have but then we went with our caterer and decorater my wedding is September this year and after Christmas last year is when I bought my dress and started on the little things but all my big stuff was booked a year in advance!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Rentals for linens/centerpeices. Anything to finish tje little details.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Absolutely! I've heard several first-hand stories from family and friends who's photographers were awful, therefore they don't have any wedding photographs they like. Made me nervous!

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh good! It’s so nice when you get the people you want for your wedding! It’s no fun being told they’re unavailable
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would look into hair and makeup, caterer (if not provided by the venue), florist, decorator and any rentals if needed.

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is taking a while. I mean venue won’t be paid off until close to the wedding but if I could get everything else paid off I’m laughing.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hair and makeup for sure add to that list! Since many do their work on site they will book up FAST!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ll definitely look into a commissioner now. I just got word from my makeup artist/hair dresser that she’s free to do my stuff, 16 months ahead and I almost missed out on her! This is exactly why I needed help to decide what to book in advance! Haha.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I better look into a commissioner!!! Thank you! Things are adding up, it will definitely take me awhile to get everything paid off lol
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just got a text 10 minutes ago that my hair and makeup lady is free for my wedding! I know she’s popular and does movie sets etc. But 16 months ahead and I almost didn’t get her... that’s crazy. I’m glad I contacted her when I did.
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I booked venue first then my florist, photographer, DJ, and photobooth, marriage commissioner (in progress). My goal is to have everything paid off by January 2019
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was really surprised how fast things book up for weddings, I mostly just started with messaging vendors for quotes and ended up booking because they said they were already booking up around our date but I have been told we have a popular wedding date so with yours being in wedding season it doesn’t hurt to keep messaging other vendors just in case. The makeup artist I wanted books 18 months in advance so she wasn’t even available when I messaged her 15 months before our wedding!
    We booked our tent, officiant, photographer, caterer, DJ and limo over a year in advance. Then our videographer, hair/makeup and went wedding dress shopping around one year out. I’d say for sure book your officiant and then some things could wait but just not for too long lol
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was surprised how quickly hair and makeup filled up! I booked 6 months ahead and didn’t get my first choice. If you know someone you really want, I would suggest booking early.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Most people are from here. Although a lot will probably stay at the hotel. Good idea! I’ll call them and ask the best way to move forward. Thank you!
  • Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have a lot of out of town guests? You may want to consider whether hotels will block rooms this early. Otherwise I think you've got the most important things.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    SAME!!! I’m buying all the sashes, table runners, napkins and some table clothes because I want a specific colour that I can’t find here. FH is not all that happy about it. But in all fairness, I was all for eloping... he wanted the traditional wedding. He knew what he was getting himself into! Haha.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally understand. I thought I didn't really care about stuff, until you actually have to make a decision (like linens, I really didn't care what I had, but once I had to look, all of a sudden I cared about the fabric haha). My fiance has a friend who was a pastry chef so we always know who would be ours, but I suggest you look.

I honestly booked everyone right away (again shorter engagement and out of town bride), so if you have the time and want to get started on other things, I don't see why not. There were some people I contacted in 2017 who said they were already booking for 2020, so no harm in looking into things.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha! I think the photographer is one of the most important things! I never did until I started looking for one lol
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel like everything is important to me! Ridiculous right? There is so much I thought I wouldn’t care about, until now. Haha. You’re right about the florist! Thank you! What about your cake? Did you book that long in advance? I want to do a dessert table, but even that is a lot of work for a store
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG same. I honestly thought that being engaged so early before the wedding meant that I would be waiting to plan but that was completely the opposite. If you're confident on who you want to hire, go ahead with it. That's how I ended up booking my photographer 1.5 years pre-wedding lol.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did venue and ceremony location first to make sure the dates worked for both of them. Afterwards, I got my DJ and photography booked a few weeks later. I would say you could start looking for florists, especially since your wedding is during wedding season, they could book up fast. I had everything booked within a few weeks of setting the date, but I also had a short engagement (9 months). The only things I didn't book right away was the decorations/linens along with videographer because I wasn't sure what I wanted yet.

Really, you can book anything at any time, just keep in mind what is most important to you, as those will be the things you'll want to book so you have a wider selection of people to choose from.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m hoping most other things can wait, as it gets to be overwhelming! I just wanted to make sure I’m not forgetting any major ones right now! Lol. I’m waiting to hear from the Hairdresser/makeup artist I wanted, but she might already be booked that day! I never thought I would have to plan so far ahead. Lol
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think most other things can wait tbh. I'm in the same position as you (big city) and am doing one thing at a time. Next on my list is flowers/décor/linens (wedding is August 4, 2019).

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s what I’m worried about! I don’t want to forget something important to book for and then miss out on one I love! But it’s so hard to make decisions this far ahead! Haha.
  • J
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in June 2019 and already have banquet hall (they cater so food is taken care of) and Church. Those two were the most important things so I wanted it done asap. Now we're looking for photographer and videographer. We should have one picked by the end of the week. As soon as we're done we are moving on the finding a dj. I think what needs to be book early are banquet hall, church, cater, photographer, videographer and Dj. You don't want to risk not having a vendor that you love and want to use because they are booked on your day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics