Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cliodhna
WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway

What is one thing you wish you knew before planning your wedding?

Cliodhna, on March 11, 2020 at 09:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 12

Whether you’ve been planning the wedding a couple of days, weeks or years, there are always lots of lessons to learn! Imagine you had a time machine you could hop in, what words of wisdom would you share with your past-planning-self?

What’s one thing you wish you knew at the beginning of your planning?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Sadia, on March 24, 2020 at 11:16
  • Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I too wish I knew about the pandemic! It wouldn’t have changed anything other than maybe helping me get more prepared. I probably would’ve changed dates too haha.
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wish I had known this pandemic was lurking about!!! Not that I can do anything large enough to stop it, and our day isn't until end of October so we're really hoping we're in the clear by then. At least enough to have the wedding. If I had known, I probably would have held off on a date and details, or I would have pushed it sooner. Lol
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Price for sure. I would have started saving sooner than I did, and allocating money for each vendor. Also not giving into all these "wedding" things. I bought so many mugs, and tshirts for wedding planning, that are now just sitting there. Looking back, the only thing I use is my mug because its huge, but everything else I could have done wtihout!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would go back in time to tell myself having that one extra event before the wedding would be idle as it celebrates the union of 2 families coming together with close friends. I couldn't have any final word due to my family looking at the tradition of what the bride side is responsible for and not part of a gay wedding. It would have been nice to just change things up as society changes its way for the future.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wish we had waited a little longer before booking a venue and picking a date. I'm happy with what we picked but u still wish I had shopped around more.

Looking back I still sometimes wish we were eloping. We let the opinions of our parents sway us too much into having a wedding instead of eloping. I'm happy, but also keep thinking "what if".
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wish I had known what I really wanted. I thought I wanted a traditional wedding but I'm now entirely sure that my FH was right and I would have preferred something very small with only our immediate families. I'm still excited but the guest list has grown way bigger than we wanted and it just doesn't really feel like what we originally envisioned. And the outrageous cost of everything almost doesn't feel worth it.

• Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wish I knew how much of a toll this would take on my anxiety. Since starting planning, the attacks have increased. Now I'm trying to take a step back and not worry so much. I'm not nervous about marrying my FH, more just if I have guests I don't invite getting upset which is starting to happen, and if my vision and all my plans will work out. I get worried if I have enough decorations, did I order enough cupcakes, how do I know how much food to buy, so on.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The PRICE!!!!! holy cow. we budgeted certain amounts for certain things and ended up going over cuz we didnt know how much each vendor was. when i heard girls spending 40k on a wedding i said wow they went above and beyond but nope nope average cost is around 30k. add extra for tips, ask for discounts and research.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would have started saving more sooner. The number crunching is really stressing me out.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think my only wish is we started saving sooner. No regrets on anything we've done but buying our house earlier than expected makes things very, very tight!

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wish we had given ourselves another year honestly. Like we have had no issues with booking vendors or anything, but the stress of paying a mortgage as well as a wedding has put a strain on us a lot more than we imagined. Then FH and I have 3 weddings already for 2021 one of which I'm apart of and another FH will be apart of which we'll also have to travel for...It's just a lot all at once.

• Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wish I knew to start planning sooner! We thought we had lots of time (back in Nov 2019) for a Summer 2021 wedding, and we took our time, and only just started looking at venues. Apparently, we were too little, too late on some venues as they are already booked solid for 2021! I wish we had at least booked our venue and then taken some time before doing additional planning.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics