Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elizabeth
Beginner August 2019 Ontario

What is everyone doing for the unity part of their ceremony?

Elizabeth, on July 17, 2019 at 14:56 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 28
Looking for something different than candles or sand. Smiley smile

28 Comments

Latest activity by Dawn, on August 16, 2019 at 22:53
  • D
    Frequent user June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a handfasting ceremony! The couple is bound with coloured ribbons to symbolize what they want in their marriage ie purple loyalty. In an infinity symbol tied six times and placed in the earth where you are married or in a box never to see the light of day for good fortune of your marriage.
  • A
    Beginner March 2020 Alberta
    Ann1 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing 3 ceremonies in 1.
    Candles, smudging and the the Lutheran one. Longer ceremony but puts all 3 of our cultures in it.
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a wine unity ceremony. I love this idea as both us and our parents love wine! We are mixing a bottle of red and a bottle of white to create a rose and we have included our parents in the unity to signify the joining of family
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have seen that done before! Those are nice too Smiley smile Make sure you use a funnel? haha will be fun even if it gets messy Smiley smile

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a sand ceremony!! Smiley smile Im so excited about it but I fear it might get messy hahah the container we are pouring into is kinda small at the top lol

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is fun. I like those plants too. I would definitely need something that doesn't die easily. I don't have a green thumb. Would be sad if I killed the "love tree" haha Smiley smile

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a tree planting ceremony with a jade tree. they apparently attract money and are very very hardy plants and they dont get huge but a decent size

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Give it a google! That is what we did. We both have German descent, but FH has really embraced his German heritage and so we wanted that to be apart of our wedding so we just googled German wedding traditions. This one really stuck and worked well!

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s really Kool!!!
    Our Heritage is a mix
    me: polish, Irish, French Canadian
    him : Romanian
    not sure of any traditions for those
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I are doing a German tradition called : Baumstamm Sägen. Basically we get a tree log (dress it up) and then right after being married we saw the tree log together, as our first act as man and wife.

• Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're very welcome! Good luck in your search and your decision!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Some different ideas that have been done and can consider which is the best one for you:

th?id=OIP.lSR30c98A4R8fsSX-ItyRAHaE8&w=1

th?id=OIP.UDf4O3egIIxh5K7AykuL2QHaLH&w=1th?id=OIP.b2GDr_qk6CsxQAbuA1M88wHaLH&w=1th?id=OIP.Pca6OT4Esq0XzBo-kLxO1gHaLH&w=1

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing. Smiley smile

• Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a handfasting ceremony using a length of my fiance's tartan from scotland Smiley smile. You could pick another length of fabric that would go with your theme.

I also just found out about key an lock ceremonies which I think you could have a lot of fun with.

Friends did a 'hand ceremony' where the officiant says this:

"Please face each other and hold hands, so you may feel the gift that you are to one another.

These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow, and forever.

These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch will comfort you like no other.

These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief wracks your mind.

These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes, tears of sorrow and tears of joy.

These are the hands that will tenderly hold your children.

These are the hands that will help you to hold your family as one.

These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it.

And, lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch."

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love the idea too! Will have to try that wine! Smiley smile

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love it because not many people have done it, at least the weddings I have been to. We haven't picked the wine yet. FH is not a huge wine drinker, but he likes a select few if they aren't too strong. We will most likely go to a few wineries for my birthday and see what wine he likes and buy a local bottle. If not Ruffino Chianti is a favourite of ours!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren’t doing a unity ceremony!
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! And the officiant can hold the vows in front of you since both your hands are tied. It can be done with different coloured ribbons or rope. I heard a suggestion with regards to ribbons, a family member(s) or close friends can each help tie one colour. a great way to include them in the ceremony. An idea from one of the officiants we met Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Shots sound great!! Just be careful if you mix 2 types though - wouldn't want marriage to start with a bad taste in your mouth of course lol

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that you are incorporating his heritage into your wedding. Very fun.

Thank you for all the ideas!! Smiley smile

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is brilliant! What kind of wine did you pick?? My fav is a red California called dreaming tree Smiley heart

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Interesting!! So I had to google that. When your hands are tied together do they stay that way when you say your vows? Smiley smile

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha that is cute! I am looking for something creative. We were thinking shots? but not sure yet. Smiley tongue

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a crowning since my fiance is half Greek.

I've seen couples paint on a canvas at their ceremony and then they have a piece of art to display in their home.

I've heard of people planting a plant or a tree together (each couple has a jar of dirt and pours it into the pot).

You can do a braiding or knot ritual

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my gosh, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich ceremony is the cutest thing I have ever heard of Smiley xd

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a wine box ceremony. So we are picking a bottle of our favourite wine in a box, both writing letters to each other, and then sealing the box. Many people have done nails, but I think we are just going to do a simple lock and key to seal it. Then we will open in on our first anniversary, and write letters every year!

• Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hand fasting! Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be skipping it all together!

The only one that I thought up of that haven't seen anywhere was "too childish" lol I was thinking a peanut butter and jelly sandwich ceremony would be cute Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics