Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lindsay
Newbie February 2020 Ontario

What do you do when your MOH is MIA?

Lindsay, on September 20, 2019 at 02:42 Posted in Before the wedding 1 14

What do you do when your* MOH is MIA?

Sorry in advance, this is a long one!

So my MOH (and best friend) basically asked me if she was going to be my MOH right after I told her that we got engaged. Basically, taking that surprise opportunity away from me, but whatever. We originally were only going to have witnesses, and therefore, no big bridal party duties. Then, my fiance said I could have a bridal party, and he will just have his brother as his witness. So I asked 2 of our mutual friends and my little sister and her boyfriend; they all accepted as bridesmaids and bridesmen. My best friend became the official MOH.

So since about May of this year, my MOH's phone has been acting up, and she had it sent to Samsung for repair. She did not have a phone for 2.5 months and claims she doesn't remember her passwords (or birthdays apparently) to her bank, email, facebook, instagram, etc. She says all her passwords are linked to her fingerprint reader on her phone, which is probably true, but still (read on)!

So eventually she got her phone back in August. She missed my birthday, but I did get a belated wish a few days later. We were supposed to meet up but that fell through. We were able to text and call each other Aug 8. I keep texting and no replies. She could call out but could not receive calls.

Then her texts stop working and we were using WhatsApp to communicate. WhatsApp works until August 29. The checkmarks are grey meaning they are sent but not read, to this day.

Last week I was able to reach her but she was busy and would call me back. My fiance reached her the next day at her work and tells her to call me. She said she did the day before but I didn't get any call; she didn't even leave a voicemail. Now it's radio silence. I've tried contacting her at work, leaving msgs with her receptionist for her to call me back. Nothing. We have not seen each other since March. She says she researched centrepieces and dresses and would email them to me but she never did.

Oh, I also was able to email her at work and that worked until I never heard from her. My little sister works at the same company but a different location, and told me that their emails are not screened, but my MOH told me she never received any of emails after the first email conversation we had. About 2-3 weeks ago when WhatsApp was working, I told my MOH that my little sister works at the same company as her, she called and they talked and then my MOH told me to set up drinks with me, her, and my sister. That's when her WhatsApp seemed to stop working.

So, I don't really know what to think. I don't think I did anything to make her mad at me, but I really feel like she is dodging me. She has never made an effort to get a new email address to communicate that way, get a loaner phone and/or another SIM card (I could have given her a loaner phone!), tried to visit me knowing I work from home EVERY DAY, etc. My aunt has sent everyone a bridal shower invite, and I'd like to know if she got it and if she's coming or not. This was mailed out. I sent a pic of one of my extras to her WhatsApp in case she claims she never got one.

I was 99% sure it really was her phone, but she does have a house phone, so why wouldn't she call me when she gets home? But this week, that percentage is less than 50% right now and I just don't understand why there is this virtual wall between us, especially when she literally asked to be MOH.

I would like to get everyone together for dinner and have ONE discussion about bridal party stuff, not 5 different conversations about the timeline of the day, who is staying where the night before, are they driving down, attendance for the rehearsal and dinner, etc.

So apparently it's a faux pas to fire a member of your bridal party, but was is the protocol when they are the ones not communicating and you can't get a hold of them at all?? Should I be chasing her down to the ends of the earth? Do I just move on without her, do I replace her role, do I address her absence when she feels like getting in contact with me? It's not like I'm avoiding her because why would I be leaving msgs and blowing up her phone every day to try and get ahold of her?

My fiance says to cut her out altogether, but how?

Any ideas would be appreciated! Also, please tell me if I'm being a bridezilla, because I have tried my best to not be one, but maybe my thinking is becoming bridezilla-like and maybe I should cut her some slack? I'm thisclose to asking a psychic what her deal is or hire a PI or serve her with papers or something!

14 Comments

Latest activity by Lawana, on September 28, 2023 at 04:43
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. It's never easy to have a relationship end. I'm am glad you are looking for the bright sides. At least you can move on and look forward to your wedding. I wish you all the best.
  • Lindsay
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Everyone. Thank you all for your replies. I still have not heard from her, and I even reached out to her brother on Facebook to pass along a msg to her, and still nothing from her after he said he passed it on. So I guess silence is an answer. Just sucks. I don't think it was about money or the cost to be in a bridal party because I said right off the bat to everyone, no monetary obligation. I just wanted my friends to be there with me. They do not have the regular obligations of a traditional bridal party. All they gotta do is show up. I will have bouquets/boutonnieres though.

Also, she did not RSVP for the shower that's happening in 9 days. She did know about it since the last time I did speak to her in August. So, if she can't follow up when she knew it was happening, then I did not feel like I should go to her house to chase her down anymore.

Part of me is sad to lose a supposed best friend this way, but the other part is relieved to not have to worry about a possible fight on my wedding day just because she won't agree with my footwear.

She also kind of did this to an ex-friend of ours a couple years ago but only in the way of not RSVP'ing to the shower. None of this technology failure was happening. I just did not think she would ever do this to me in a million years, but I guess people change...

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You def need to talk to he and figure this all out. i dont get why she just randomly started avoiding you. i would try leaving her a voicemail on her home phone asking her whats up and why she hasnt contacted you. but have a backup MOH and continue planning and doing things without her. if i was you and she didnt show up to the shower. i would kick her out of my wedding party.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is there maybe something going on with her? Could she be depressed? It is common for people to avoid others and cease communication when depressed. If she is a good friend, and this is unusual behaviour for her, I'd be concerned.

Can you go stop by for a visit to see how she's doing? I would want to do that before anything else.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're plan is a fair one.

If she shows up to the bridal party, you'll have a chance to pull her aside afterwards, touch base, and have a conversation about what's REALLY going on. As other posters have pointed out, there are a million and one ways to communicate and absolute worse situation, she could have passed a message through to you from your sister like you did to her if technology was truly cascading failure. Maybe she's avoiding you to avoid a tough situation of telling you she's no longer interested to save your feelings but it's backfiring?

On the other end of the spectrum, it could be she doesn't enjoy someone else being in control and in the spot light, but is finding out MOH isn't giving her that (just where she asked immediately about the spot of honour seems a little off). It could be trying to feel in control...with having you chasing her all the time and the shoe thing too....someone can disagree but no need to ridicule.

Either way, she's not being honest with you or making a reasonable effort to stay in the loop. It's fair that if she ghosts everything for months that you don't send her an invitation to the wedding or replace her in the party.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm so sorry that your friend is doing this. Losing a friend like that hurts. I hope that she will come around and at least explain what and why this has happened. If not I'm sure your day will be amazing and since you have your shower all arranged I can only assume you have many people you can count on. Enjoy the wedding planning with them.
  • Lindsay
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you to everyone for the replies. I still haven't heard from her, and since it's the weekend, one would think that would be the perfect time for anyone to reach out, but turns out not. I just really did not think she would do this to me. I guess it's times like these is when people show their true colours. I think we're just going to move on, and if she suddenly comes out of the shadows, then she will be dealt with. But if she doesn't RSVP or show up to one of my showers next month, I don't think I'll be inviting her to the wedding...Thoughts?

One good thing, if she wants to ghost me forever, will be is that she can't forbid me from wearing the shoes I want to wear. To this day, that really rubbed me the wrong way and as MOH, I thought she would support me on my decision, not ridicule me and forbid my choice of footwear, when the rest of my party was all for it...

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am frustrated reading this.

I would say cut her out completely, and don't look back.

They ways you are trying to contact her now, send a message stating you are no longer a part of my wedding party due to the lack of communication.

No friend ESPECIALLY MOH should be doing this to you! A phone is an excuse, I am sure she has a computer which has facebook, whatsapp, instagram and a million ways to contact you.

If she doesn't respond to you, then get your sister or FH to contact her and let her know she is no longer a part of your wedding. & put your focus back on the people who WANT to be there for you & WANT to help you with the wedding planning.

That's just my opinion!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In this day and age, it's not that hard to find a way to contact someone, and it sounds like you've tried every avenue imaginable! A lack of communication IS a form of communication - it shows she either doesn't care or is now dodging you on purpose. Her radio silence speaks louder than a text: "I don't want to be MOH anymore" right now. In some way, she might believe ghosting you is the right way to handle the situation.

I'd drop her from the party and move on. It seems weird that she was all excited to be MOH and then falls of the face of the earth. I'd also try going to her work/house and speak with her in person. It's one thing to accidentally ignore a text or two, but completely another to not talk to you for MONTHS, when you've been clearly trying.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Her phone being an excuse of not working or not trying to get the problem resolved is her situation.

About her position in your wedding, she needs to rethink it to step down if her communication of emailing/phoning isn't responding to you at all. She is still wanting to be your MOH upon talking to your sister more or getting to ask her to video chat on WhatsApp when meeting. This way you can find out directly from her. I don't think she is mad at you personally, just busy as I know the feeling of not keeping in touch with many these days since married.

If you both feel she isn't doing her duties or filling her position well, take her out whole and let her know when you video chat. Its what works for your day and having everything coming together including the wedding party.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone. Sounds like she isn't interested in being the maid of honor. I had to have a conversation with my MOH as well because it seemed like she wasn't being supportive etc. but instead of just cutting her from the bridal party, I asked if she was up to being maid of honor because she had just gone through a breakup. That way it was her decision.

You could try that. Then if she doesn't reply to that, you can send another message explaining why she's not in the bridal party. It might soften the blow.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, I would still see about getting together with her in person but if you can't even communicate that seeing as how she isn't replying back and claims to not get the messages, then I would drop her as a member of the wedding party.

It's one thing for it to be the phone and the app's fault, it's another to not try and find a solution to the problem. If it really is her phone and etc. then if it was any one of us you know what we would do? Get a new phone, change the number, get that new email address - we would make it work because we need a phone not just for this but for talking to literally everyone we normally do!!

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    She clearly does not seem to care. Cut your losses and move on. If she were really interested, she'd be making an effort.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m with your fiancé on this one, I’d remove her from your bridal party. You’ve given her ample opportunities to step up to the plate now and she clearly doesn’t want to do it.

i wouldn’t even give her a chance to explain or try to do better because you’ve clearly been patient and provided her time and time again with chances to be part of your day.

It stinks to lose a friend but also it doesn’t seem like she’s been much of a friend anyway so you may be dodging a bullet here.

Wedding stuff aside, if she cared she would have found a way to communicate. She seems to be causing more stress than anything else and for that id remove her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics