Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Frequent user February 2020 Ontario

What are you doing with your dress after the wedding?

Liarra, on April 5, 2019 at 03:00 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 40

Hi brides!!

What do you plan on doing with your dress after the wedding. I have been researching and I've seen so many different options!

Personally I always thought I'd want to keep it tucked away to show my future daughter or grand-children...
Now that its finally time, I'm leaning more towards re-selling or donating after the wedding. As much as I love my dress I know its not an item I'd re-wear and styles come and go to quickly I know there's no sense in hanging on to it for future kids/grand kids.

Are you:
- Keeping it
- Donating it to a charity of some sort
- Re-selling
- Trashing
- Using for halloween

Lets hear it!

40 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on June 2, 2019 at 15:18
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s been 11 months since I got married and my dress is hanging in the closet; still haven’t had it cleaned. My plan was always to keep it; I used to play dress up in my moms wedding dress. I also saw this post on Facebook about a woman who turned her daughters dress into a play tent ( I tried to find it again-I’m pretty sure it’s Jessica Ley Brides on Facebook if anyone wants to take a look at the post). But, I don’t know what my future children will enjoy playing with, so I may not do anything with it.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I'm going to sell it.

I kept my grad dress and I actually regret not donating it to gowns for grads or something. It just sat in my closet forever. It brought me some joy when I'd put it on and twirl or whatever, but I think of the joy that somebody else would have had in it had I let it go...

• Dionne
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I might keep it for a little bit and/or consider donating it to The Brides Project. I work for a Surgical Oncologist and cancer research is close to my heart. The Brides Project benefits cancer charities...

• LittleBlueLemon (Tony)
    Ontario
    LittleBlueLemon (Tony) ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Most unique thing I've ever seen was a bride got her seamstress to turn the whole dress into a set of matching throw pillows! (no joke) Looked great on their bed when I went over to photograph their newborn a year later.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be consigning it!

I don't see the point in keeping it, since we don't want kids and have zero room to store it.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that will be nice

• Rebecca
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have thought about this too. But doing a photoshoot with my mom, and my grandma. For fun Smiley smile

• Rebecca
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I want to do this with possible left over pieces from alterations!

• Clara
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Clara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm hoping to rent my dress actually - it's ecological in a way and pragmatic for me (I really don't see when id wear it or an altered version of it again). If I don't find anything to rent I like, I will definitely give back to a shop to sell at a lower price or something....I want to give someone else the chance to find the right dress at a reasonable price.
  • M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be keeping mine. I have no plans for it, but my mom bought my dress, and I would regret it if I got rid of it. Both my mom and sister kept their dresses.

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's a company that will turn your dress (or a portion of it) into lingerie. I think this would be a great idea for your anniversary! I have kind of a long train, so I wouldn't mind taking some off for that, and putting the remainder in a shadow box.

• Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Theres a girl where I'm from that makes gorgeous Christening gowns out of your old wedding dress.
    Im not totally sure what I'll be doing with mine but this is a neat idea I've pondered!
  • Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't even thought that far ahead, Maybe make another dress out of it and make it a different color, use it for other outings. I at this point have no idea, sorry

• Kirsten
    Frequent user October 2025 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping mine I have a few ideas that involve my children, plus honestly, I would regret selling it.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm definitely going to be keeping my wedding dress. I can't imagine getting rid of it (plus it's a gift from my mother who's paying for it, so it would be rude to sell it).

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve really struggled with this myself. I hate the idea of preserving it and just stashing it in a box somewhere, but I feel like I’d regret getting rid of it. Mine isn’t white. It’s like blush champagne. So I’m thinking of cutting it off at the knees and turning it in to a dress that could be worn again ? That way i can wear it. Or if I have a daughter she can wear it for grad or something. And I’d keep the excess fabric if she didn’t like the dress and there would be more than enough to make something new like a jacket or bag or a top to a new dress.

part of me wants to sell or donate... but I feel like as soon as it’s gone I’d want it back 😂
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t know yet if I might sell it or dye and alter it to an evening gown.
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes!!! This is the cause I've considered donating mine to afterwards as well. It is so amazing!

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is awesome. Imagine how fun it would be to host that party !

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am totally wanting to preserve my dress and keep it but I also feel like I am going to want to put it on a few more times lol. The place that is doing my alterations has you bring it back after the wedding and they clean it and will preserve it for you but they don't put it in the box so it might work out perfectly for me!

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

50 years is something special. One month after my wedding my parents will be celebrating their 50th (they married when they were 20). We will have something special during our wedding to honor them and the major milestone!!!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be consigning it. I don't have the room to store it and we don't want kids, so I won't be passing it down.

I have my first fitting in 2 weeks, so I'll ask the seamstress to keep a piece of fabric from the bodice, as a keepsake.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My first thought was that Friend's episode where Rachel, Monica and Phoebe are watching TV in their gowns, it would be fun if you and girlfriends had a wedding dress party just to wear your dress again.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is an amazing cause, how thoughtful.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm keeping it! I was thinking of wearing it when we are celebrating a milestone anniversary like 25 years, 50 years something like that. Maybe redo out wedding photos, I think that would be cute. Or if I have a daughter who wants to try it on one day, who knows! Either way I want to keep it.
  • Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so funny! My FMIL does the same. Maybe I'll pick up the tradition too! Smiley smile
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping it! I actually get to wear it again the following weekend when we go to Montreal.

I hope to have a girl someday and she can try it on, whether she wears it or not, I want her to see it and we can talk about the wedding day and how much I love her father Smiley smile

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm planning on keeping mine to wear at our 10 year anniversary (we're going to do a vow renewal then.)

There is a group called Angel Dresses that take donated gowns and create dresses for babies who are stillborn or don't survive long enough to leave the hospital. Grieving families are gifted the gowns for their little angels. If I don't fit into my dress at our 10 year, or decide I want a different dress, I'll likely donate my dress to them.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm unsure of what to do with mine either! I might actually use it for halloween for a Corpse Bride vibe (one less thing to pack for the honeymoon - we're gone over halloween).

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely keeping mine Smiley smile I like the idea of using pieces for baptismal gowns for any babies
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I want to repurpose mine! Turn it into a cute dress for myself and then use some extra material to turn into baptism outfits for the kids one day!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping for sure! My aunt puts hers on every anniversary and takes a picture, I think that is a sweet idea. I would also love to wear it again for a vow renewal down the road. Think that would make my FH happy haha

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics