Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Larissa Lauzon
Frequent user August 2020 Nova Scotia

Weekday wedding???

Larissa Lauzon, on May 27, 2018 at 22:46 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 22
Would it be weird to get married during the week (parents, siblings, closest friends) and then have a big reception the following saturday? Our current plan is the weekend following, but our anniversary is a Tuesday next year (date is currently Saturday August 31st, 2019. Our anniversary will be Tuesday August 27th)

I love the thought of getting married on our anniversary. I think it's so sweet, and very us. However, a lot of people invited are out of town. So, I was thinking if we get married Tuesday, that having a "party" on Saturday would be a good way have still be able to have everyone celebrate with us 🤔

Am I crazy? Also thank you in advance!

22 Comments

Latest activity by Larissa Lauzon, on June 7, 2018 at 09:06
  • Larissa Lauzon
    Larissa Lauzon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you so much everyone! I feel less crazy for wanting to split it up now LOL ^_^
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WOW! That is a busy schedule! Is it traditional from the part of Africa you are from to do it super early or is it something else? Just curious- I love all the different cultural nuances.

What time are you getting up to get ready OMG!

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No, not at all. Also, sometimes, getting married on a weekday is cheaper then a weekend
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Reception after weddings have been done days or months after destination places. This way you get to celebrate with friends in town.

SIL's sister had her reception on Jamaica 2 weeks after thier wedding in India. At the same time, my brother and SIL were celebrating their engagement too the same day as the reception.

Another friend got married in Boston and had a second reception in toronto months after inviting locals they knew.
  • Samantha
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that sounds like a wonderful idea! You would save money and it would be a lot more intimate with family and friends rather than a huge group of people you may not even really want there.
  • M
    Curious August 2018 Manitoba
    Modupe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's a great idea plus will be less stressful for you. Unlike me that I'm having my "African traditional wedding" at 7am then go to church at 11am for us to be join as husband and wife, then go for photo then reception at 2pm.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's common to do this. I have been to two receptions where the couple has gone to a destination wedding (more intimate) and then returned and had a second reception later with more people.

It's your day and totally fair if you want to have your ceremony on a special day whether it's a weekday or weekend, go for it!

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have been to a wedding like this and didn't find it weird. If anything I was shocked they weren't exhausted. They got married Thursday at city hall and had a ceremony on Friday with family and close friends. The reception was on Saturday though. We only went to the reception but I did not find it weird at all.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's not weird, but it depends on the guests you intend to invite to the reception. I think it would be polite to invite everyone to both, even if you know many won't be able to make it to the ceremony on Tuesday.

I'd personally feel odd if I were invited to a reception only, unless it were an incredibly small ceremony (such as a city hall wedding with a limit of 10-20 guests consisting of the bride and groom's families), but at the end of the day, it's your day and you should do what you feel is best for you and your fiancé!

• Larissa Lauzon
    Larissa Lauzon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I thought the same about it being our anniversary! ❤

I mean I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, I just have SUCH a huge family 🙈😂
  • Larissa Lauzon
    Larissa Lauzon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that sounds beautiful! ❤ I don't really want to hurt anyone it's just SSOOO many people staring at me (full list is 210) 🙈
  • Larissa Lauzon
    Larissa Lauzon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hair and makeup we're probably going to be doing ourselves. My reason being I don't really wear makeup regularly, but I had it done as a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding and my fave felt so gross. I was instantly itchy and it felt so heavy on my face. It wasn't fun 🙈

A photographer I'm still trying to figure out lol - my step mother does photography so I'm thinking I'll at least ask her to do the photos for the Saturday? 🤔
  • Larissa Lauzon
    Larissa Lauzon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah that's what I was thinking! Our intimate ceremony would still be pretty big though anyway lol our full guest list is 210, and JUST parents siblings, and best friends (nieces and nephews included) is like 50 🙈😂 so I liked the idea of the smaller ceremony. Figured I'd make sure I wasn't insane lol

A November wedding would have been beautiful! Albeit freezing 🤤
  • Larissa Lauzon
    Larissa Lauzon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah that makes sense 🤔 thank you! ☺
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that's a great idea, have an intimate weekday wedding and a reception on the weekend to include everyone. Its always romantic when you can get married on your anniversary. Its your wedding your day so you should plan it how you want to, some feelings might get hurt because they can't attend the ceremony, but thats okay. I've been to a weekday ceremony and it was beautiful Smiley smile

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friends did that!

They went to city hall with parents and siblings on a Thursday and got married, and then we all went to their cottage for the reception on the Saturday.

I think that if you're OK with maybe hurting some people's feelings about not being included in the ceremony you can do whatever you want. It is YOUR day after all, YOU get to decide what you want to do and how you want to do it.

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that's a nice idea! In the UK, weekday weddings are totally normal, reception and all!

You do have to consider though, if you are having a photographer and a hair and makeup team, you'll need to book them for two days, which will cost a lot more. There is also the danger the the euphoria of being newly weds will be put into limbo, while you wait a week for your reception. Just something to think about Smiley smile
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that’s a really good idea! I would’ve loved to get married on our anniversary but there was no way I was having a November wedding! I really like the idea of having an intimate ceremony and a big party later, that way you can celebrate with many more people!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think it's weird at all, but if you have a party on the following Saturday to celebrate would you not consider that a day worth having an anniversary on every year? I think if it were me I would pick the weekend closest to my anniversary and make it a new day to celebrate instead, where I could have all of my friends and family around but I think it depends too on how casual or formal you want it! . Just my thoughts, hope this helps!
  • Larissa Lauzon
    Larissa Lauzon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're having an outdoor ceremony either way we do it it so it'll cost less anyway. We both love being outside so an outdoor ceremony made perfect sense! ❤☺
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s a great idea. Intimate ceremony with family and some close friends - party on the weekend with your extended loved ones.

And while this may not be the focus - weekday weddings cost less than peak weekend weddings.
  • Larissa Lauzon
    Larissa Lauzon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A good way to still be able to have *

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics