Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashley
Beginner September 2020 Ontario

Wedding venue searching

Ashley, on September 13, 2018 at 01:32 Posted in Ontario 0 8
Hi everyone!

I have recently started my wedding venue search. I went to the Toronto bridal show a few days ago and got a few venues that I haven’t seen online through my searches on wedding wire or google. I was wondering if anyone on here has some suggestions on wedding venues with an outdoor ceremony portion and indoor reception at one place. I live in Pickering so anywhere in the Durham area is fine with me!

Alot of the venues I liked and met with at the bridal show were all from Vaughan and on the more pricey side in my opinion. I was wondering if I was to stay in Durham would the prices drop more because I’m further away from Toronto? I'm going to the Ajax bridal show hoping for some more venue ideas.

Last question, I know this long post but does anyone have any advice going into venue shopping. I’m very overwhelmed by it all and I have so many questions as I go deeper into it. Is there anything I should be looking out for, things to avoid?

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to respond I appreciate it! Smiley smile

8 Comments

Latest activity by Robyn, on November 26, 2018 at 20:22
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think Vaughan might actually be cheaper than Durham. I'm in Ajax too, and wanted Deer Creek initially, but they are crazy expensive.

• Ashley
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am just seeing this message reply now but I hope you don’t mind me asking, what does the $150 include? That sounds like such a good deal!! I’ll be looking into it
  • Kateland
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Kateland ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This isnt exactly in the Durham region. But, I am getting married at essentially a lions hall. It's on a large chunk of property so were doing both reception and ceremony outdoor. However, there is an indoor hall as well where you could have the ceremony. It is called GIlford Hall in Gilford, Ontario. It is 150$ to rent for one day.

• Amanda
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am from Oshawa there are tons of venues that offer indoor and outdoor options. Don’t know what your budget is but..... there is:
    Deer Creek (ajax)
    Trillium Trails (north of Oshawa)
    golf courses in the area
    Ashburn ?
    Oshawa golf and curling club
    hopefully that can help you a tad!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi again Ashley, I just posted on your other discussion but I'll post here too Smiley laugh

I've been engaged since October 2017 and booked my venue in December of 2017. You're definitely on the right track about looking 2 years ahead since some venues do book up that far! The first question you should be asking is: "Do you have my date available?" If not, it eliminates it unless you are flexible on the date.

Next, you probably don't have a clue how many guests, but try and do a quick estimate. my estimate was 150 and I'm now at 165 to invite. My venue is a hotel with different sized banquet halls for the reception that can accommodate 30-500 people, depending on the room. However, the ceremony spot only accommodates 200, so definitely try to nail down a preliminary number.

Again, as I said in your other discussion, I'll send you a file of other important questions to ask once I find the USB it's on.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just sent you a message.

but best thing I can recommend. have a rough guest list before you go looking at venues. you don't want to find a venue that you love and it end up not fitting close to what you want people wise.

and I can't remember her name. but someone here on the WW community got married in the durham region and had outdoor ceremony. and it looked like there was an indoor space. she just posted photos in the past month getting married.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well, I can't help much with the venue finding but here are some questions that I found were very helpful:

What is the maximum guest count? Am I allowed outside catering? Am I allowed outside bartending/ alcohol? Do you do open bar, or just a host bar? (Host bar = you pay per drink at the end) How long do I have the venue for? Do you have a list of spots to recommend for photographs? Do any decorations come included? Do you have a wedding planner contracted here that I would be able to hire? Do you consider September an "off season wedding" and if so is there any discounts?

And if you are looking to save money, then I highly recommend a place where you don't have to use their "executive" chef as they charge at least $50-$80 a plate.

• Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My venue is in Vaughan as well but I know people who are getting married in the Scarborough area if that's okay with you. It is called Guild Inn Estates.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics